Topic: Console Squeaks

I have an '08 Toyota Tundra.  It has some veeeery annoying squeaking/popping/clicking that occurs where the center console plastics meet.  I know it's not a rattle or anything loose because I can duplicate the noises by pressing on the console near the seams. 

I've scoured the interwebz and silicone spray lube seems to be the easiest solution, albeit messy.  Anyone have any other tips/ideas for quieting interior noises?

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

Re: Console Squeaks

felt.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Old french fry box.  The grease adds some special lubricant.    J/K what Baron said or dynamat/sound proofing sorta thing if it;s where the console bolts to the floor.   Other lazy cheap option might be spray foam in the right spot.

Teamgravy Racing > join us please @ http://www.facebook.com/Teamgravy

IOE winner & 2nd place Class C - North Dallas Hooptie 2013
2nd place Class C - Gator-o-Rama 2013

hotdogwater wrote:

Old french fry box.  The grease adds some special lubricant.    J/K what Baron said or dynamat/sound proofing sorta thing if it;s where the console bolts to the floor.   Other lazy cheap option might be spray foam in the right spot.

LOL

back in my dealership days, we had a "squeak and rattle kit" that consisted of some sticky-backed foam, and some felt, both with and without sticky backing.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Turn the radio up?  May i suggest Cake? 

J/K we also had the squeak and rattle kit.  My old head tech was amazing with that shit, but it did necessitate taking almost the whole interior out of a 996 to do it right.  he would make them drum tight, with no noise whatsoever.  Of course, as soon as the season changed, and all of the dissimilar materials expanded and contracted, some would come back.  Job security in the p-car days.  We won't even get into the absolute joy the Cayenne's were.  Still have ptsd from those pigs.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120811223812/fallout/images/9/9a/Sledgehammer.png

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Its a Toyota, not a Ford.  Can you use a FUAT on a precision vehicle like a Toyota?

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2013/07/25/bmw-swimming-pool.jpg

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

trade it in on a chevy.

had an S10 since new.  I  ran it to 220k.  didn't burn a drop of oil, and never squeaked or rattled.

i was always under the impression pickups were supposed to squeak and rattle....

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Turn the volume up to 11. No more squeaks. Or eardrums.

davisriley wrote:

Turn the radio up?  May i suggest Cake? 

J/K we also had the squeak and rattle kit.  My old head tech was amazing with that shit, but it did necessitate taking almost the whole interior out of a 996 to do it right.  he would make them drum tight, with no noise whatsoever.  Of course, as soon as the season changed, and all of the dissimilar materials expanded and contracted, some would come back.  Job security in the p-car days.  We won't even get into the absolute joy the Cayenne's were.  Still have ptsd from those pigs.

Hahahha... that is LITERALLY my solution! my 99 a4 HAS 243K On it, and when the temp changes it picks up a few squeaks somewhere in the dash.... only when cold though. My 04' Touareg has no squeaks though... same bones as the Cayenne.......

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Sounds like it's time to trade it in....the 14s did just come out.

foompla wrote:

Sounds like it's time to trade it in....the 14s did just come out.

Not likely; it's nearly paid off and that's cash that I'd rather pour into something else...

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

As I used to joke, "you think cars have radios for... Luxury? It's to reduce the number of funny noise complaints at the dealership!"

Felt is your friend. Plastic isn't as quiet is it could be...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)