1 (edited by magnusracing 2009-11-24 12:56 AM)

Topic: "THANKS TO ALL" from Team Diplomatic Immunity (Mercedes S600)

As team "manager" at this event I think I speak for myself, the other members of my team and the President of Paraguay when I say this has been the best Lemons yet and probably the most fun we've had at a race track in general.

First, I'd like to thank the Judges, Jay and all the other event staff for understanding the irony of running a fully equipped S600 at Lemons. We got a lot of support and smiles which made all the work worthwhile.

Speaking of work, I can't thank our driver/crew chief/car builder "The Great Pendejo"  enough for getting the car running and through safety tech in time for the race. I don't think anyone has ANY idea what a TOTAL basket case this car was in almost all aspects when it was purchased - it really was $1,000 for a host of reasons and one of those was a nightmare electrical system - this car TRULY has one of the most complex electrical systems EVER and it was FULL of rotten wires and busted vaccum lines. The paper trail on this car shows that at one point even the dealer threw in the towel on this car and declared it unfixable. Somehow, with NO Mercedes scan tool, 50 feet of yellow wire, soldering gun, vacuum line and electrical tape Pendejo managed to get the car running on all twelves cylinders, out of limp mode, stability systems bypassed, electronic throttle bodies functioning correctly, chassis electrical and security system working and transmission shifting again. It only took about oh... 40 hours. Then he had to design and install the cage. For an experienced builder like Pendejo this is normally no problem. However, unlike most cars, when you pull up the carpet on an S600 you do not see metal - you see tons of wires, pumps, vacuum lines, plastic ducts and uneven metal bits. This combined with the decision to put the FULL interior back in place after the cage install (after all, why strip down a car already so hopelessly overweight?) made building the cage a very challenging process. I have a feeling this might have been the only caged S class mercedes EVER. And all of this was done the week before the race.

Finally, I was really impressed with the other racers at this event. Almost all of them seemed to understand the joke behind bringing an S600 to Lemons and we got a lot of friendly encouragement. I came to this race knowing that we had a high probability of the car being crushed - while we were prepared to accept that fate I was pleased that such a beautiful car was not torn to bits. Thanks for not cursing us.

On a side note, I've seen some comments from a few folks thinking that Jay was being a jerk, or being greedy when he claimed the car. This was not the case at all - we made it clear to him early on that we were fine with a claim. For various reason it was already a forgone conclusion that this would be the ONLY race for this car and we did not want to tow the 5200lb beast back to San Diego. I was more than happy to receive $500 for the car and leave it at the track. We prefer to run our usual V12 Jaguar at Lemons anyway - compared to the S600 it is fast, nimble, light and reliable.

The President of Paraguay informs me that he'll redistribute 10% of the claim money to his people and blow the rest in Vegas before he returns to his home country.

See you all again at the track soon I hope!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2009/11/500x_lth09-benz600-500px-07.jpg

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Re: "THANKS TO ALL" from Team Diplomatic Immunity (Mercedes S600)

Seriously...in our pits on Friday, we were all pissed when we saw the car and were warming up our pens to vote your asses to be crushed.  But you quickly showed yourselves to be good guys, good drivers, and generally fun to be around...and not so fast as to be a threat tongue 

It was great seeing that big beast out there, thanks for bringing it out!

You guys are awesome!

Way  to bring it- Viva LiMon!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

It was great to meat you guys, after day 1 it was clear it would be no fun to destroy the Benz.

Hey MOLE, please read the post from Magnusracing above and see if you can learn anything.  These guys obviously "get it".

Great job guys!

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

priapism wrote:

Seriously...in our pits on Friday, we were all pissed when we saw the car and were warming up our pens to vote your asses to be crushed.  But you quickly showed yourselves to be good guys, good drivers, and generally fun to be around...and not so fast as to be a threat tongue 

It was great seeing that big beast out there, thanks for bringing it out!

+1
our thoughts exactly! Great job, all of you!

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

it was great running with you guys.......bummer it took so long to fix on Saturday....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

The Sheik is still waiting for your donation to his harem.  Vast amounts of oil await you!

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

m@ wrote:

It was great to meat you guys...

Whoah. I guess things really are a lot different out in Cali.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

craznoe wrote:

The Sheik is still waiting for your donation to his harem.  Vast amounts of oil await you!

Like he said to you at the track,  swing on by the capital sometime and you can select from Paraguay's finest.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Speedycop wrote:
m@ wrote:

It was great to meat you guys...

Whoah. I guess things really are a lot different out in Cali.

ROFLcopter

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Diplomatic Immunity brought a FANTASTIC car (close to $200K in 2009 dollars), a simple yet awesome theme, and were good sports about the whole deal from the People's Curse grumblings to the claiming of their race car. A class act all around.

But I still have to say...your S600? It's just been revoked.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

But I still have to say...your S600? It's just been revoked.

See, someone needs to run a South African built Cobra so this quote would work even better.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.