Topic: I have a question for the folks that were at the Stafford 09 race

Did a BMW 750 get sand poured in the motor as a penalty?  Just curious, trying to win a internet argument with a SCCA guy who doesn't "get" Lemons.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Re: I have a question for the folks that were at the Stafford 09 race

No... although the BMW 750 did crash hard into another car shortly after it began the race 8 hours late.

As far as I know motor destructive penalties such as putting things in a motor are no longer parts of the Lemons penalty system and have not been since perhaps the first couple races (if they were actually even ever really used).

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

3 (edited by bongle 2009-11-28 06:33 PM)

At Stafford 08, a Mercedes diesel had various un-oil-like things poured into its oil cap for people's curse.

At Nelson 09, the people's curse victim had Cash-For-Clunkers fluid poured in, though without removing the oil first.  Still broke the motor though.

At one of the early races, a BMW 750 was mostly torn apart for people's curse, but was still actually race-able.

If his point is "you can get arbitrarily screwed by judges at a Lemons race", he is correct, but you can get arbitrarily screwed by yourself, your teammates, your car, or simple bad luck at any racing event.  At least at a Lemons event your screwing only cost about $500-$1000, depending on your team's finances.

Even if the judges blow your motor up in a "COMPLETELY UNFAIR rabble rabble" manner, if you weren't cheating then you're only looking at $250-$300 to get a new one that is just as good.  You might even be able to find one to buy in the pits.  Excepting people's curse, you still have a rolling car, cage, and all your safety gear for the next race.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

so ecugrad, are you arguing on the side of BMW or Lemons viability?  and since when have you based any of your arguements on fact?  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

5 (edited by ecugrad 2009-11-29 04:51 AM)

soldmystang wrote:

so ecugrad, are you arguing on the side of BMW or Lemons viability?

Ohhh, I am in the I get it camp.  The guy who is just totally offended is a SCCA guy, he REALLY doesn't get it.

soldmystang wrote:

and since when have you based any of your arguements on fact?  smile

Don't make me come and beat you with those tools you dont know how to use

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

hahahah.

so, what is your internet SCCA debate compatriot not getting about the event?

stafford '09 everyone beat an impala to death with very large/heavy tools