Topic: Credit Card Account Compromise

My credit card was used to purchase some airline tickets on Nov 25th and again on the 30th.  It's the card I used for the transponder deposit at Arse-Freeze-Apalooza.  This is probably a coincidence.  But there's no record that a credit card was used for a transponder deposit, so the only way to see if it's a coincidence or not is to ask around.

Did anyone else who left their card as a deposit see any questionable charges on their account?

Re: Credit Card Account Compromise

Jeff pretty much sleeps with those cards under his pillow during race weekend (he's downright tedious with his obsession over keeping them safe), so I doubt anyone was able to get to your card while it was in his care.

FWIW, my wife's card got jacked and used to buy airline tickets a couple months ago, too. (she's never been to a Lemons race and we don't share CC accounts)  Not sure why, but airline ticket purchases seem to be a popular use for stolen credit cards.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Bummer, Jake....I certainly hope it wasn't related to Lemons weekend. We don't use the cards for transponder deposits--they're really just collateral to make sure you don't drive off with the transponder (or if you do, that you'll have incentive to bring it back!). They are taped with your team number and kept under lock and key, so I don't see how one would escape and get used for airline tix....if there's anything we can do to help, just email me off-forum.

Mine got jacked the day before we got to the race. Someone was running around Vegas with a cloned copy of it -- ran up close to $1,000 in charges. I hate Vegas!

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Yeah, it's not really costing me anything and I didn't figure it got taken from the transponder collateral binder, but that was the only place it had been out of my sight for a long time but not used in a transaction so it was worth saying something.

I'm surprised airline tickets are used as a way to launder credit card money, given that you have to show a drivers license to a TSA agent to use them...

unsafe_jake wrote:

I'm surprised airline tickets are used as a way to launder credit card money, given that you have to show a drivers license to a TSA agent to use them...

Refundable tickets are as good as bearer bonds.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Mine got jacked a couple of years back for airline tickets.

They bought first class tickets from Ohio to Australia, which were about $3,000 a pop. Then they just kept buying cheaper and cheaper tickets until they maxed it out.

Only took BofA three months to figure out it wasn't me!

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

BS Jonny, I know you have the ability to be in Australia and France and Hawaii at the same time. I saw you at TH in the penalty box, you HAD to be at 5 places at once to see everything we did. :-P

To the OP - mine was cloned and went on a shopping spree all over the Crenshaw district of LA. Apparently I bought a buncha gas and groceries, but the biggest charges were at WalMart.

Barbarian Motor Works
-#88 '86 325e Team Charity Case *RIP*
-#88 '89 325is Baby Blue Babyz *re-themed*
-#84 '89 325is Panzer Tank *CURRENT*

10 (edited by vwdmc16 2009-12-02 01:12 AM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

Jeff pretty much sleeps with those cards under his pillow

sure sure, what was he doing to those cards right before turning in? ording in alot of "Specialty" movies in the hotel? Hmmmm?

You'd be amazed at the ability of criminals to get your ATM/CC numbers.

May they all rot in hell. The angering part is that local PD/Prosecuters around here in SC will do nothing but take your statement.

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion