Topic: Value of parts car and the rationolization toward the 500$

Firstly I would like to introduce ourselves.  Whe're a Canadian team based out of Ottawa.  We're planning on running the 24 hours of Lemon in Detroit next fall. 

This said we are planning a build a Lemon race that falls under the same categorie of insane builds as the Gnome project and the Frankenmiata.  Where not quite ready yet to divulge our secret but lets just say that our project needs a few vehicles(and yes I didn't say cars) to make it happen.  Here area few question concerning budget

Does the full price of the parts vehicle count towards the 500$ or only the estimated value of the parts?
From our understanding the donor car also fall under salvage rule which means we can recover our cost.  Is this right?
Is there a limit on the total money can we recover from the vehicles?
Finally how does the exchange rate factor into the 500$ is it 500$ + exchange rate at time of purchase or time of racing?

I know it's alot of questions but right now where just trying to figure out exactly how to build this thing and how aggressive we have to be with selling parts off the donor vehicles.

Thanks for your help

Check out our smoke breathing two stroke monster build...I mean imminent failure at http://metroneige.blogspot.com.

Re: Value of parts car and the rationolization toward the 500$

Eric Giberson wrote:

Does the full price of the parts vehicle count towards the 500$ or only the estimated value of the parts?
From our understanding the donor car also fall under salvage rule which means we can recover our cost.  Is this right?
Is there a limit on the total money can we recover from the vehicles?
Finally how does the exchange rate factor into the 500$ is it 500$ + exchange rate at time of purchase or time of racing?

Eric, Welcome and get ready, we are always looking for someone who can compete with the Gnomes and Eye Sore racing. Having said that If you have one car for your build and an additional car for parts. The only car you can recover money from parts is the car or chassis your sitting in at the time of the race. If you were able to sell parts from different vehicles to supplement the $500.00 dollar limit I would have thousands of dollars left in my budget cause I would sell the farm to make my car faster.

Parts you take from another car to build your car are considered under the $500.00 dollar rule. (Cost of Car+Parts added to get it running-Things you sell on Ebay)
Now if you do something insane like a Getto Turbo or Chain Drive Motor, the Judges might make an exception. They like to see things break and when they don't break they like to give prizes for the same Crap! So if you get parts from a free car you will need to have proof the donor car was a free-bee. If you stole the parts off your neighbors F250 Turbo "um well" I guess their free. And if you buy a spare car for parts, only the value of the used parts that actually make it on to the car count.

Keep really good records, have all of your stories in order, try not to cheat and have a good time cause if you don't your ride home is going to be long.

P.S Bring as many spare parts as you can haul including motors if you have them.
I say this from experience.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

There is really no defined parts car rules, but there are some generally accepted principles on this.  You can't get a parts car, get what you need off of it, and then turn a profit on the sales of the excess parts only to apply that toward a new set of shocks.  That is shady and if you try to pull that, the BS inspectors will call you out on it.  If you we to need a donor car, it is acceptable to get all the major stuff to you need and sell everything else to get back to $0. 

As far as exchange rates go, start with a fixed rate that you can go off of and document that.  If the rate is more favorable by the time you get to Lemons, then you could move to it, but chances are it won't make much of a difference.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Eric,

The rules don't put a limit on salvage sales.  The subjective part of the BS inspection could cause you some trouble.

If I buy a parts car for a build, I consider it part of the build cost and sell off parts to offset the expense.

As far as exchange rate goes I guess you can spend the equivalent $500 US but I could see some shadiness coming into play.

Builds like the Gnome and Frankenmiata are cool.  I gotta say the motorcycle powered cars are a whole different animal than adding a turbo to a car. 

Any chance you're going to incorporate the use of a Zamboni?

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I've wondered about parts car sales, too. But if as is stated in another thread the parts car doesn't count toward the $500 then I don't think it's kosher to sell parts car parts to subtract money from principle car build.

So say you buy a Messerschmitt without an engine for $500, then buy a Suzuki Hayabusa / GSX1300R for $1000, strip the motor out of the Suzuki and put it in the Messerschmitt, then sell the Hayabusa WITHOUT engine for $1000... You're net zero, right? Well, I cry foul on that one.

However, if you bought two King Midgets at $500 (a 2-fer deal) and sell off 1 of the King Midgets, then you could use that reclaimed money to put into the principle car.

I've talked to Jay about this specifically.  You can sell parts off of the car you are racing to the point where you are positive.  Ie sell $500 of parts off of your $200 race car and you're ahead $300 or have $800 to work with.  Parts car sales can be added to the budget back to their original cost.  Ie sell $500 worth of parts off of your $200 parts car and you can put $200 back into the budget.  Use the extra $300 to buy something for your wife who has to put up with parts cars in the driveway.

Of course this could easily be exploited, but you gotta get past Jonny and Phil.  Also, the one thing everyone loses track of is;  Who cares if you get penalty laps, do you really think you're gonna win?

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

7 (edited by bongle 2009-11-29 08:51 AM)

As an Ottawa team, don't forget about the ChumpCar race in Shannonville this coming May.  It's only 2-3 hours away.  They've got engineering awards that you can shoot for too.

We tried the "well we spent $700 Canadian, which at the time was only $515USD, and then we sold $20 of parts" with the judges, and it didn't really fly.  But they had other suspicions about the car.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

If you're building something like the Metro Gnome, Eyesore Ghettocharger, or Angry Hamster Z600, we'll be much more tolerant of the price tags on your stable of parts cars and your lies about how much you made selling parts than we'd be with, say, an ex-ITB racer and associated parts vehicles you "got for free" because "your friend's wife was sick of all that crap in the yard."

Thank everyone for the info. You guys answered the big question we had which was the cost recovery of the parts vehicle(still haven't said it was a car). Up to the purchase price of the vehicle. Consider it done we'll just spend the rest of the money we recover on beer and the fuel to get down to Michigan. Don't worry were not planning on recovering the money and then spend it on some fancy tricked out suspension. We plan on making sure that the build is well within the of the spirit of the event.

We officially went to get the first piece of the puzzle this morning so now the giant headache start. How are we going to build this thing yikes. As soon as we sort out the many many details I'll make sure to post some details on the build and the project. If you're anything like our team you love following people's crazy projects online so we plan on giving back to the online community.

Check out our smoke breathing two stroke monster build...I mean imminent failure at http://metroneige.blogspot.com.

You may have a minor issue with rule 2.1:

2.1: Vehicle Eligibility: Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture.

At least if you're doing what i think you're doing, but I could be wrong.

I suspect you'd still make it in if it's safe, but I'd hate to see you do something truly wild and then not get in because it didn't start life with enough wheels.

11 (edited by Eric Giberson 2009-12-03 06:59 AM)

Bobnova wrote:

I suspect you'd still make it in if it's safe, but I'd hate to see you do something truly wild and then not get in because it didn't start life with enough wheels.

I'm curious to know what you think we're building?

Bobnova wrote:

2.1: Vehicle Eligibility: Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture.

My guess is he's probably buying a bike or a boat or something silly like that and using the engine for a car, then selling off the remainder of the bike/whatever.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Bobnova wrote:

Keep in mind that, if the car is bitchin, this rule can be bent.  The Lada made that fact known and the Wartburg build was a prize from the organizers.  Niether of these was sold for use on US highways due to their redness.

Good luck with your build!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

I was thinking a couple motorcycles welded together.

Bobnova wrote:

I was thinking a couple motorcycles welded together.

hehe, that could actually be quite a bit of fun with the driver hanging in the middle with their head poking up above the motorcycle frame just enough to have good visibility all around.

you'd need a very good cage builder and some extremely creative gusseting to properly attach the bikes together to the cage.

i wonder what bikes you can get two of cheap enough to do this with?

would the judges let it in?