Topic: Build Forum

I browse a drift forum full of elitist pricks, but one of the cooooolest things they have is a huge forum DEDICATED to builds.

Can we add a Lemons Builds forum?

it'd be fun to have a dedicated place to post/spam the crap, and also i know some of the n00bs will appreciate being able to see/read the tech so they can learn.

just an idea, i'd be happy to contribute, it'd also be a fun way to keep the forum more active and to know some of the teams a little better

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Re: Build Forum

smart@ss mode on: So you can demonstrate unsafe build techniques like using a plama cutter with no eye protection? /smart@ass mode

Seriously though, I can see this as being a good idea, and a huge fustercluck at the same time.  Links to various builds posted somewhere (not on facebook) could be a start.  Assuming there are enough pics on the site of course.  We took pics of darn near everything during our build.

Most guys on here seem willing to help especially ones running the same make/model of a car.  We asked questions of other Prelude teams and got help. We have given some of that help back to the new guys on the Villan Racing team as well.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

There is a build post for the Wartburg over in its section and a corresponding link to the build site.

I think quite a few teams have thier own sites/blogs/etc for build posts, maybe just a topic to post them all in would be a good start.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

i'm not happy with the facebook thing, i got the domain rustinthewind.com available, waited two days, went to go register it...

within that two day span some dude in canda owns it.

Mike Peters
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

mikespeed95 wrote:

i'm not happy with the facebook thing, i got the domain rustinthewind.com available, waited two days, went to go register it...

within that two day span some dude in canda owns it.

I'm confused.  What does facebook have to do with domain registration?

But yeah, if you find a domain you want, register it, they sometimes dont last long.

Did you try rustinthewind.org or .info or one of the many other optional extensions?

I guess I should mention (at my own peril) that I do maintain my own sites and can subdomain my main site for other teams if there is interest.

By subdomaining it I mean my main site is www.misfittoysracing.com  but if another team wanted a little spot on the web for cheap I can creat subdomains like I have for the wartburg at wartburg.misfittoysracing.com  or in our example above I could do a rustinthewind.misftittoysracing.com

If someone is interested they can contact me but a few caveats
1) you need to know what you are doing, you will have FTP access only to the site, no special tools or anything to build a website, bring your own tools.
2) there is no tech support
3) this is for Lemons builds only, if anything gets posted of an um....unsavory...nature I will shut down your whole site.
4) I have a day job and a Lemons build, I'll get you set up on my schedule, be patient.
5) did I mention there is NO TECH SUPPORT, dont email me with "how do I?" or "how can I?" or whatever.
6) Subdomains off of misftittoysracing.com only, sorry I can't host your own domain even if you have already registered it and are looking for a place to park it.

and finally....NO TECH SUPPORT   wink

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

If I build a website that's not on your domain, can you provide me with tech support? smile

The easiest way that I've found to do a build website is to register your domain, then just do a blog for it through blogger.com. A lot of teams do this. While blogger lacks some functionality of running your own site, it also gives you a ton of easy-to-use tools to manage the content. It's fast to set up and simple to use. I started off that way a few years ago for some different projects and it was a walk in the park compared to finding a web host, building a web site from the ground up, yada yada. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

7 (edited by JThw8 2009-12-10 07:48 AM)

Mulry wrote:

If I build a website that's not on your domain, can you provide me with tech support? smile

Does "get stuffed" constitute tech support? smile

You are right though, there are MANY easier ways than "rolling your own"  Heck my own wife uses her mac and its associated web service rather than doing her own through my sites.

You could use tools like blogger.com against a subdomained account (I think) and there's no registration costs associated with subdomains.

JThw8, my domain thing was at VKZ24, I'd already done the write-ups and then had no site for them, so unfortnuately used facebook.

Mike Peters

mikespeed95 wrote:

JThw8, my domain thing was at VKZ24, I'd already done the write-ups and then had no site for them, so unfortnuately used facebook.

Ahh, ok, that makes sense.  Couldnt figure out how they were related smile