Topic: whats your thoughts

We have a crappy car for the next go around, but our delima is the motor in it is seized and has been for probably 20+ years.  Should we :

1. tear down original motor and make it run

2. Swap in sbc (knowing they suck ass)

3. Swap in a Jeep 4.0 for fun...pretty sure this kind of car has NEVER had a Jeep swap preformed...EVER

...oh and no I'm telling what kind of car YET.  Thanks for the thoughts

Re: whats your thoughts

good ??? heres my thoughts

1:  Depends on the cost to make run, the likelyhood it will run long enough to finish the race + practice...& lastly its fuel economy vs HP output (a gas guzzler that makes tons of power isn't worth the pit stops)
2:  SBC's are easy and have been done & everyone likes driving through oil once the block is ventilated
3:  I REALLY LIKE THIS IDEA...great reliable engine that makes good HP....I vote for this....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

3 (edited by TEAM RRT JOKER 2009-12-15 02:33 PM)

original motor is a 186(?) L-head motor straight 6...part are almost extinct. rebuild would consist of gaskets, barrel hone and ring cleaning) and it only made 85hp. Thanks for the input...(I too am leaning towards the Jeep)

4.0 with a turbo

Swap either a slant six or a straight six from a Datsun Z?  You'd be a hero with da judges.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

bob-e wrote:

4.0 with a turbo

(Stands to nod head in agreement)

4.0 works for me, but, I'm thinking SHO V8....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

great suggestions for sure ,well as tempting as the Z sounds, and the SHO...I aint got one a dems...the turbo 4.0...hmmmm aint gots no turbo either.  I do have a knocking 4.0(only over 2500rpms though), and a well built sbc(may aquire bs laps and hurt the chances of an IOE hope).  I'm gonna do some more research on a turbo for the 4.0 Jeep motor for sure.  Keep it coming....We are shooting for an IOE with this entry,  and I know the powers that be like off-the-wall engine swaps...and does anyone really ever swap a newer chrysler motor into anything intentionally to race?

4.0 it is then. forget about the sbc

I read this the other day.  That's why I instantly said turbo
http://www.505performance.com/JP_magazine_DEC_2009.html

You can probably find a beat up turbo for $50 and fab up some pipe.  fuel and tuning would be interesting, but shouldn't be a problem for a little boost.

11 (edited by "Sparky" Pete 2009-12-15 03:52 PM)

TEAM RRT JOKER wrote:

does anyone really ever swap a newer chrysler motor into anything intentionally to race?

No, but they should, they should.

Go go, 4.0!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

The 4.0s have weak cam/lifters. My Jeep sounded like a sewing machine. That said, it was pretty much bulletproof. You'll need a CAI and a big exhaust to make the torque you need, but forget high rpm horsepower.

85hp will not do.....run the 4.0L jeep motor with some custom straight pipe exhaust...it should be good for 200+ hp...thats plenty to be a contender....unless the car is silly heavy...."ghettocharging" can get more HP....but are very difficult to make reliable too.....  You could always find a used supercharger on ebay for cheap?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I love the 4.0s. I have weighed in on them before here and TPC should chime in sometime with some great insight. 4.0s are tough and don't mind a little boost. DO IT!!!

15 (edited by X-args 2009-12-16 03:23 PM)

I've got an old Mercedes 230 M62 supercharger suitable for your 4.0, should make about 4 lb+ of boost on something as low-revving as the 4.0- well, it made about 2 lb on my 3800 Series II before I swapped it for an M90... and there are many pully options that I left unexplored...

Anyway, you can have it for the cost of shipping. It's in OK shape, should have its oil changed and be cleaned. You'll just need a blow off valve for light throttle.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

I've got an old Mercedes 230 M62 supercharger suitable for your 4.0, should make about 4 lb+ of boost on something as low-revving as the 4.0- well, it made about 2 lb on my 3800 Series II before I swapped it for an M90... and there are many pully options that I left unexplored...

Anyway, you can have it for the cost of shipping. It's in OK shape, should have its oil changed and be cleaned. You'll just need a blow off valve for light throttle.

If he doesn't want it I want in line for that. You never know what I might throw it on!

Yeah, supercharged AMC 4 liter six sounds good to me!

What kind of car is this?

whats shipping to 97707 bend or?  You have my interest.  Its a .....
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s269/DC4WSouthcounty/53nash.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s269/DC4WSouthcounty/53nashpu2.jpg

Oh, hell yes!!!!   

Please use that side-draft carb on the 4.0, that'd be badass

its a funky ass downdraft laying on its side wanna be sidedraft....lol.  We're gonna see what we can put together with the 4.0 and this charger deal...should turn out interesting if it will work. Thanks everyone for the input and thanks X-args for the turbo, I think.