Topic: I just bought the coolest Toyota Corona in the country!

http://img2.autoweek.com/styles/gen-1200-675/public/IMG_1186_0.JPG?itok=PHiOQNdE

Thanks to Roland the Timing Guy for going to check this car out before I bought it and had it shipped to Denver from Akron. The Kustom Korona is part of the Murilee Martin Lifestyle Brand™ Motor Pool.

Re: I just bought the coolest Toyota Corona in the country!

Sweet.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

Badass......

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

It's so cool, it showed up on my Autoweek daily feed!

bs

That is cool. Carson top?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

The top works surprisingly well with this body.  Nice catch.

With the door handles shaved, are the latches triggered by the lock escutcheons or perhaps by switches hidden in the spotlights?

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Not bad ese.... My sister had a 71' Good car that.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I want to hug it!

This space for rent.

mharrell wrote:

The top works surprisingly well with this body.  Nice catch.

With the door handles shaved, are the latches triggered by the lock escutcheons or perhaps by switches hidden in the spotlights?

There are switches behind the hinged license-plate holder. I'm going to add a simple remote.

Judge Phil wrote:

There are switches behind the hinged license-plate holder.

If you decide to go with a more convenient location for switches in addition to a remote, I've seen a couple of nice installations involving pushbuttons in the centers of the "lenses" of the dummy spotlights.  There's plenty of room for the hardware, it's fairly discreet, and the wiring is relatively easy to run.  I've also seen microswitches mounted behind the chrome strips on the doors, but that always struck me as a bit touchy and delicate.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Someone bolted your side pipes shut!

Think of all those horsies that can't get loose!!!

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

It is a small world (with the internet), isn't it.  After reading your article, I can confirm that the car was built by Robert Van Den Brink.  Mr. "V" was the auto shop teacher at Wilson HS from the schools opening in 1966 until he retired some time in the 90's.   He started collecting and driving that vintage Toyotas in the early 80's and they were a fixture around the auto shop for more than a decade.  If I recall, that car was his daily driver until it was wrecked.  it was replaced by a similar vintage auto trans Corona, and the red car was on jack stands in the shop for years.  Long after I graduated, it became what you see today.  I last ran into Mr. V at the Pomona Vintage Swap Meet around 2000 and he was doing well.  If you want more info, Google his son Doug who last I heard was doing some drifting exhibitions and had a web site.  Great find Phil!

I just sent Doug Van Den Brink a message via Facebook. Hope he responds. Thanks for the info!

Anytime!  Love seeing that car in good hands.  Now if I could find the road racing, fender flared, 63 Falcon Sprint he built....

I wish I could have gotten to see that over the holidays when Myron had it. Beautiful car.

What about a capacitive switch mounted behind the vinyl of the roof? Then you could just run your finger over the right spot and the door would open. No moving parts, no hiding switches, etc.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

mharrell wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

There are switches behind the hinged license-plate holder.

If you decide to go with a more convenient location for switches in addition to a remote, I've seen a couple of nice installations involving pushbuttons in the centers of the "lenses" of the dummy spotlights.  There's plenty of room for the hardware, it's fairly discreet, and the wiring is relatively easy to run.  I've also seen microswitches mounted behind the chrome strips on the doors, but that always struck me as a bit touchy and delicate.

I put the switches in the boots of the rearview mirrors - just touch the boots and the doors kicked open

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Absolutely beautiful, that is all that need be spoken!

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

I have put in magnet switches in many cars over the years, and keep a magnet on keychain, and second magnet hidden somewhere on the car if you lock the keys in the car. On my cars I put them high behind the pilar next to windshield.