1 (edited by FPRbuzz 2015-03-19 01:19 PM)

Topic: Volvo B18 build book

As soon as I can get up to MechiMike's place in Maryland I will be beginning a lemonsy street project, starting with building a volvo B18. I've not built an engine in... 6 years or so.

My only build was an ACVW and I had the luck of having the Tom Wilson guide to help me build it. I'm looking for similar literature for the volvo build but I'm coming up short. Anybody know a good read?

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Re: Volvo B18 build book

There's always a better solution.

http://cacklefest.com/images/engine-on-floor.jpg

This space for rent.

FPRbuzz wrote:

As soon as I can get up to MechiMike's place in Maryland I will be beginning a lemonsy street project, starting with building a volvo B18. I've not built an engine in... 6 years or so.

My only build was an ACVW and I had the luck of having the Tom Wilson guide to help me build it. I'm looking for similar literature for the volvo build but I'm coming up short. Anybody know a good read?

In the wake of one of the "gods" of pushrod red blocks passing away, George Downs, I am not sure who to contact.  They are very simple engines but I understand the desire for a guide.

Head over to brickboard.com and go fishing.  GD's "yellow peril" was bought by one of the members and he is still in contact with his widow (one of the sweetest Southern women you will ever talk to).  I lost touch many years ago after the members of that BB built a 240 wagon for his daughter after she was almost killed, and temporarily paralyzed from the waist down, in horrific head-on collision.  That was probably 12-13 years ago.

If anyone would have any old build books from the 1960's or 1970's, it would be him.

They are a good stock motor, maybe get a good cam and up the compression. Our B20 came from the wrecking yard came with two frozen/gummed weber 40s. We added an oil cooler from a B230ft as they run a bit hot with all that bearing surface.

1967 Volvo 122s IOE and C class winner with the transplanted heart of the 1800
1971 Volvo 1800 IOE winner! Killed by a k wall
1984 Volvo 245  Angela Lansbury *sold
Established 2011

Just out of curiosity, why not build a Volvo engine with newfangledy stuff like overhead cams? Post-1970 technology has its pluses.

Since the Haynes manual for the 122 was written in the UK, it actually has a surprisingly good amount of technical information and stuff like torques values, bearing clearances, etc.    When I built up a B20 for our Lemons 122 that was the only reference I used, and that engine held together perfectly in its first race (we later ran it out of oil due to a loose oil drain plug...not the engine's fault).

These engines are really dirt simple...basically half of a SBC.  I've never run an oil cooler in any of my street ones, and I tend to drive them...spiritedly.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["