Topic: Metro-Gnome and Molly Maid Miata going full tilt!

Gotta love the Lemons.  Epic battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAqSPp7Na6g

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Re: Metro-Gnome and Molly Maid Miata going full tilt!

Was a small child holding the camera in the back of your car?  tongue

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

No, not a small child.  Helmet mounted camera.

Damn!  It looked like you guys had the track to yourselves for half of that video.  It looks like Dave was at the wheel of our car by the two-off pass by Porcubimmer at the beginning.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

God I feel for your transmission... good driving though...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

GnomeFabTech wrote:

What did you use to capture the video?

Great driving BTW. Some good passes and a wild moment there as the Mini moved over to let the Miata by. Looked like you guys were going to split the Mini when he moved over in front of you.

That inside wheelspin is death to the diff pins.

THe camera is called the ContourHD.  Find it here www.vholdr.com.  Nifty item.  Very light and easy to use.

Diff pins.  Sadly, the least of our worries at this point...

wrappedinbacon wrote:

Damn!  It looked like you guys had the track to yourselves for half of that video.  It looks like Dave was at the wheel of our car by the two-off pass by Porcubimmer at the beginning.

Nope, Bitter Dan was driving for this stint. I was on the radio with him, and after watching for a few laps, I had to burst his bubble by reminding him about our fuel conservation strategy. That's why he suddenly got slow. Otherwise, I think that battle would have gone on for 2 hours.

-Dave

sergio wrote:
GnomeFabTech wrote:

That inside wheelspin is death to the diff pins.

After looking at your guys' suspension, I'm guessing that inside wheelspin is at least partially due to your travel-limiting cut springs and that clever little tab you have holding them to the spring perch so they don't fall out at full droop. I'm guessing you aren't getting full extension on the inside front tire.

The inside wheel seems to be lifting off the ground, and setting you into a lift/spin/hop cycle that beats the shit out of not only the diff pins and chains, but also, perhaps, your third gear.

I've driven quite a few track cars with adjustable preload that were set up by people who didn't really understand why that adjustment was there. The cars ended up with insufficient droop travel and then any kind of mid-corner input (bump, curb, etc) would set up a nasty bounce much like yours.

Try making a spacer under the spring that can hold it in place at full droop. You'll raise the front of the car a bit, but there will be a balance point somewhere where you can get a contained spring, full droop, the ride height you want, and a high spring rate.

This is how we did it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/eyesoreracing/Lemon/P1020623.jpg

-Dave

Nice driving! How did you make that thing so fast? I know
you were taking nice lines and hitting most of the apexes,
but you we're blowing by cars with twice the motor.  Great
prep work on the car!

Mark

it does appear that power on wheelspin is hurting you in the corners...but I think this was the FWD metronome...the new one shouldn't have this problem.....also in the beginning you sure caught the miata pretty well down the straight and on the brakes...but man did that miata have "turbo torque" to pull you out of the corner...damm

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

This front wheel spin was the exactly what caused me to decide to pitch the whole front wheel drive concept.  Without some serious budget cheats limited slip was not an option.  It was cheaper to convert the car to RWD than to buy an LSD!

Truth is that the Eyesore car is still faster than even the RWD Gnome.  Those Miatas just handle better and that's the fact.  We'll get a rematch at the Willow Springs Chump race  next month.  Should be a bit less traffic so the fast cars will really get to race.  Or so I hope.

There will be video.