Topic: Torque Pro + Android tablet as digital readout?

From what I understand, driver readouts are exempt from the cost limit

Driver comfort & information (steering wheel, shifter, gauges, pedals, cool suits, vents, heaters, radio)

Can we install a Android tablet on a window mount and an Bluetooth OBD-II reader into the car? Do we need to make some sort of serious not off the shelf mounting? Can we overlay the driver's glove with one of those still-be-able-to-operate-your-phone-with-gloves-on fingertips?

Has anyone tried Torque Pro on a Lemons car before? What would be especially exciting is a digital tach, digital engine thermometer, and trouble code reading.

Re: Torque Pro + Android tablet as digital readout?

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is I would NOT trust a window mount in a race car, and the Lemons guys I've seen in the past don't allow go-pro window mounts so I'm sure they will have a hard time with an Android window mount.  IMHO it should be securely mounted where your gauge cluster is or in some other place, securely and permanently. 

Second, regarding those touch tip gloves you would need to sew the tips on with conductive thread.  Modifying your flame retardant gloves like that (which should ONLY be sewn into with nomex thread) to use a gauge cluster that would be distracting to the driver is a really bad idea.

Basically install it safely and securely where the drive can see it, determine a best gauge setting, and leave it alone.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Seconding RogueLeader, it's a cool idea and totally possible, but installed with caution.

The tablet should be mounted so it won't turn into a missile in the event of contact.

When in motion, the driver should only be driving the car, not fiddling with touch screen gauges. So the conductive thread concept is a bit of a moot point, but that would definitely void the fire rating whether or not it was picked up by the gear tech folks.

We run an iPhone as a data logger during the race. It's clamped to the upper part of the roll cage and purposely out of reach of the driver just in case he gets curious about speed or lap times during the race. During the race, just drive the car.

Chief Gadget Inspector
Fifteen-time Loser
S13 240SX (bent)

4 (edited by TheEngineer 2015-05-25 12:00 PM)

I've used a suction cup mount in every race i've been to. It's a huge RAM Mount that came with my Contour Camera. I use it to hold the cell phone that does my live streaming. I do however tether the whole thing to the roll bar just in case something happens to prevent it becoming a missile. I do think I could hang from that mount however. Better than suction cup mounts are roll bar mounts. They tend to let go less often.

I've used torque in my daily driver. It's a little slow to update you certainly don't want to use it as a tach. But for general temperatures, it's fine. I don't know why you're concerned about trouble codes when driving. You do not want to be fiddling with things while driving.

Do not put it where the drive can't fiddle with it. If you're going to use it, mount it where it's visible, and just leave it as a display.

Also Obligatory: Your car has OBDII? Too new.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

5 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2015-05-25 09:40 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Motion seconded. Machine tells you what is wrong when it is sick, so that a human can fix it? Skynet baby.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Ok. Message received. My drivers will not get to play with the tablet, I will not modify their gloves. That is a bad idea.

A little backstory, me and a fraternity brother bought a Cook County (Chicago) former-K9 P71 2003 Crown Victoria. We're hoping to race in October, but I just graduated and I'll be moving to NYC to work in less than a month. Can't turn wrenches from NYC! What I can work on is a sweet instrumentation setup for the car (the biggest thing being the lack of tach).

TheEngineer wrote:

I'm a computer engineer, so my response is "Doesn't have a computer running it? Barbaric!"

If you want to computerize your Lemon, talk to Olaaf Rossi, builder of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJxZVabe6s

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

If you want to computerize your Lemon, talk to Olaaf Rossi, builder of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJxZVabe6s

I do want to make that. How can I get in contact with him?

His screen name here is Olaaf.

They also where NYC based I believe. Their car was a retired taxi, 5-speed swapped, rear mounted turbos, and aftermarket computer (I believe megasquirt). Search for the turbo taxi. Amazing car.

For gauges, all you really need is a tach,  a water temp gauge, and an oil pressure gauge. You don't have time to study millions of gauges, and those are the three that will keep your car alive. Add idiot lights for over-temp, or low oil pressure, and low water pressure and you're good.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

His screen name here is Olaaf.

They also where NYC based I believe. Their car was a retired taxi, 5-speed swapped, rear mounted turbos, and aftermarket computer (I believe megasquirt). Search for the turbo taxi. Amazing car.

For gauges, all you really need is a tach,  a water temp gauge, and an oil pressure gauge. You don't have time to study millions of gauges, and those are the three that will keep your car alive. Add idiot lights for over-temp, or low oil pressure, and low water pressure and you're good.

Olaaf has stepped away from racing for awhile, as other opportunities have opened up for him and he has been doing some global travelling.

Olaaf is also a very talented driver, and even he had all those readouts color-coded so he could take just a quick glance to see if there were any issues.  I have no idea of your experience or talent, so please do not take this as a slight to you.  Quite honestly, that would be more than I would ever be able to take in.

Like The Engineer said, tach, water temp, and oil pressure will be enough to keep you informed of the general happiness of the engine, plus is about the most amont of info that an inexperienced driver can absorb.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

Olaaf has stepped away from racing for awhile, as other opportunities have opened up for him and he has been doing some global travelling.

I remember him mentioning that. I didn't know if he'd still respond to emails related to their awesome car (that is now gone). He seemed to be a wealth of knowledge.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

The other problem you'll face using an OBDII Bluetooth device is the reconnection of the Android Device and the OBDII device over bluetooth. 

Because you are killing all power to your car each time you pit, you'll find that the reconnection (and getting the requisite software online again) is much more difficult than you think.  I've tried something like this and it was an abysmal failure.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

chadadams59 wrote:

The other problem you'll face using an OBDII Bluetooth device is the reconnection of the Android Device and the OBDII device over bluetooth. 

Because you are killing all power to your car each time you pit, you'll find that the reconnection (and getting the requisite software online again) is much more difficult than you think.  I've tried something like this and it was an abysmal failure.

I have never had a problem. I have a PLX bluetooth reader and I use Torque+. As soon as you turn on the OBDII reader the phone connects and Torque resumes live output. I have heard of problems with cheap OBDII readers.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

In my case it wasn't the adaptor.  It was the software reconnecting and reading the OBDII information again in real time.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

TheEngineer wrote:

You can do this all via OBDI as well now...

http://www.reddevilriver.com/ALDL_Bluetooth.php
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=en

I know... because our '95 S-10 is OBDI. smile

To the OP:
We are looking at doing the same sort of thing for our vehicle... been looking at the power options, reconnect times, etc.  What we don't like is if things don't reconnect after a driver swap / fuel stop / etc. you'd have to come back to the pit to get it up and running.  As mentioned, you don't want the driver screwing around with things... the driver should drive, and only drive.

Statically Indeterminate: #58 '95 Purple S-10 (Flyin' Purple People Eater)
2014: Gingerman x 2 | 2015: Gingerman, Autobahn (24 Hours!) | 2016 Gingerman (April) | 2017 Gingerman (April)

TheEngineer wrote:

Also Obligatory: Your car has OBD? Too new.

Edited for brevity.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I second the comment about fabricating a serious mount.
I got tired of my rearview mirror falling off during racing (putting a 300mm wide panoramic mirror as a clip on didn't help) but there are literally chunks missing from the glass where the epoxied button would come off. Youll probably have similar problems with a window mounted smartphone -- let alone tablet. My solution in that case was to buy a roof mounted mirror (from a 240sx IIRC) and bolted THAT to the chassis.

For a tablet, I would fabricate a mounting bracket that clamps to the tablet  and a sunshade and figure out how to bolt that to something that won't work itself loose (ex: rollcage, etc).

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4