Topic: Jalopnik's Lemons Legends of 2009

http://cache-foo-03.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/12/500x_lol09-61fleetwood.jpg

We've been talking about an official Lemons Hall Of Fame for a while, but that requires the cooperation of a bunch of dudes in Emeryville. In the meantime, I've put together a Legends Of Lemons honor roll, with 41 of my favorite cars/teams from the '09 season. Yeah, I totally skipped some of you that totally deserved it, because I burned out by about 3:00 AM last night, but that's how Lemons works- sometimes you get lucky, sometimes your SHO pukes its transmission for the third time in one day.

Re: Jalopnik's Lemons Legends of 2009

Great write-up, Murilee!  I'm proud to be associated with such fine competitors as these.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Evil Genius is on there twice.. no fair! smile  Great write-up as usual Murilee

I love that pic.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Pink Pig FT(Almost)W

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

The Caddy picture captures the true charm of Nelson's Ledges and the glamour of Lemons racing.  Note the grin on the guys face. 

Lemony Perfect!!!!

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Notably, that's "the guy" who tried to take the bridge down... big_smile

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

8 (edited by st_rage 2009-12-20 10:34 AM)

You left off our team name in the description.  SAY MY NAME!

PS  Thanks for including us.  The Turbo Schnitzel guys were just bragging that they got a mention in the last issue of GRM.  That's just print famous.  We're internet famous.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

st_rage wrote:

You left off our team name in the description.  SAY MY NAME!

PS  Thanks for including us.  The Turbo Schnitzel guys were just bragging that they got a mention in the last issue of GRM.  That's just print famous.  We're internet famous.

Fixed it. Sorry.

And, damn, I forgot to include the Schnitzels on the list.

that is an unforgivable oversight.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

And, damn, I forgot to include the Schnitzels on the list.

I'll let them know.  We're all essentially the same team now anyway.  With so many races on the schedule we'll probably just bring whichever car is running better and the guys that want to $how up.  The only real difference is whether it's me or Craig that gets the captain job.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

great write up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Maybe if we can improve our rod bearing eating habit, we can actually finish a couple races in 2010!!!!  Its just that those rod bearings are just so tasty :>)

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

...we are honored!!!

Many thanks. Hope our Sears Pointless car is a Court-pleaser, too (which I got because you guys were asking for one, ya know).

--Spank

Buzz Killington wrote:

that is an unforgivable oversight.

It really is.

That said, the list is at least 84% accurate.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

i'm sure Murilee will be happy to know that at least 34.44 of the 41 are deserving.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Wow!  Such the honor.  Thanks judge Martin.  Hey, when are you going to have that Sprite running?  I gave you all the parts you needed...

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Awesome, glad we could be cool enough (or shitty enough) to make the list! Cant wait for this next season and we WILL win with the Z!!

Thanks Phil.. it is an honor.

Uberbird!

It looks like Phil has thrown down the gauntlet for Eyesore!

"At Lemons HQ, this team of super-geeked-out engineers is considered the most likely candidate to take the trifecta of Overall Win, Organizer's Choice, and Index Of Effluency."

Team Police Brutality is also in the hunt for the trifecta. While considerably behind the curve with just an Organizer's Choice to date, be advised WE WILL BRING IT in 2010.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

Team Police Brutality is also in the hunt for the trifecta. While considerably behind the curve with just an Organizer's Choice to date, be advised WE WILL BRING IT in 2010.

I think Police Brutality is one of the few teams that has a shot of beating Eyesore to the Overall/IOE/Organizer's Choice trifecta. Keep in mind, however, that Eyesore has won the OC twice, a record that may never be beaten.

We may not all be super geeked out, but damn if we aren't determined. I'm just hoping the Mark VIII holds together for the next CMP race, and people stop wrongly assuming a factory 280 HP car gutted to nothingness is only fast because we are cheating. That car and race is our best shot at overall right now.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT