Topic: Want to drive Sears Pointless PRIOR to March? Probably a good idea...

Having hung out with several "real" racers over the years, I've certainly heard my share of SP horror stories.  Unlike many other tracks you may run for DEs, etc, there are things to HIT at SP - as opposed to Thill and Bwillow, Reno, or Streets of Willow where there's nothing to hit but dust and donkeys.

I've got more track hours under my belt than I can count, but none of them at Sears as I've always been freaked out by the idea of concrete walls between me and an off.  So, I resolved to slay my demons *prior* to Lemons with some track time.

Time at Sears is HUGELY difficult to get, and usually very expensive - I finally came across this as the 2010 calendars are coming out:

http://www.hookedondriving.com/category.cfm?category=1

I've run with the Hooked guys before, and it's a good operation.  The Marketing Director at Thill is/was an instructor for Hooked - and rode with me at Reno.  I was all set to have a really bad day at Reno, but he showed me the way to a fast and good time.

So, if you're like me - stupid and have disposable income - I'd highly suggest signing up to get some laps under your belt at a track that has a history of taking pieces out of the uninitiated.

Would be great to see other Lemons guys there, and please give me/Lemons props if you sign up - it's all self serving, I assure you, as I don't want to be hit by you dumb*sses. wink

[props to 2wheelsofbmw for this gem... ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ibcU3YG9rQ

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

Re: Want to drive Sears Pointless PRIOR to March? Probably a good idea...

Sound advice. Sears is unforgiving, and some of the danger zones are less obvious than others (for example: the "opportunity" to wind up in a wall if you blow the exit of 8A, which is less obvious than the wall staring you in the face at the exit of 10).

Anybody know what track configuration will be used?

Our car looks too pretty as it is... I figure a few dances with some concrete might encourage Jay to give us a bit more on our residual for the next race.

(i kid, i kid..)

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

I agree 100% with driving Sears prior to the event, hopefully in your Lemons car to get a feel for it......  Sears is a well know "car killer" with all the walls & it claims its fair share of racecars every year.....so be extra careful.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Does HoD allow passengers in the advanced group?

THill not allowing passengers on the test day foiled my plans to teach all of my drivers the fast line. I suspect the test day prior to Infineon will be the same.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

Sears is indeed daunting and has little forgiveness, if Thunderhill is a 1 in "driver error forgiveness" Sears is probably a 7 or 8.  Hopefully Jay will run the "Indy car / motorcycle" T9 which takes the most dangerous corner - T10 - and turns it into a slower and safer, probably flat out in a lower gear corner.  T10 in the normal configuration has no room for error and is damn scary fast, too fast for Lemons IMHO.  The "other" series is running the Indy car / motorcycle T9 just for that reason, it is safer.  T8, 8a is a whole lot better than before now that the hill has been cut away and again if Jay uses the "other" T9, 8a will be a whole lot easier and safer too.  Also Jay has basically 4 different corner configuration options for T7 each resulting in a different entry speeds into the famous Sears Point "essess".  Over the years Burton Smith has made Sears MUCH safer than before, but it can still bite hard if you go off track.  Doing a Hooked on Driving day is a great idea as is the test day prior to the event

7 (edited by cmice 2009-12-22 12:52 PM)

laz wrote:

Have to ask the HoD folks.  With DE's, it's fairly common that novice and open-RACE don't allow passengers.  So, given this is akin to open-RACE; I can see why Thill disallowed.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

laz wrote:

THill not allowing passengers on the test day foiled my plans to teach all of my drivers the fast line. I suspect the test day prior to Infineon will be the same.

Your team didn't seem to have any problems finding the fast line at ThunderHill.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

wrappedinbacon wrote:

Your team didn't seem to have any problems finding the fast line at ThunderHill.

If you mean the T12 shortcut, that one's easy to find wink But seriously, a couple of my drivers left time on the table every time through T8 and T9 that would have been correctable with a coaching session in car with them.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

laz wrote:
wrappedinbacon wrote:

If you mean the T12 shortcut, that one's easy to find wink But seriously, a couple of my drivers left time on the table every time through T8 and T9 that would have been correctable with a coaching session in car with them.

You actually got  a clean run in T8-9....  I'd say in the two hours I drove on Saturday that I might have had 1 clean run on 8-9.....there ALWAYS was traffic taking away the ideal line.....so not knowing the ideal line doesn't hurt as bad with all the traffic we have..... 

I gotta admit the few times I got a good run at T8 I was impressed at the speeds I could carry through the corner....not flat like a spec miata, but close....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I have over a 1000 DE laps and close to that many as an instructor at Sears.
That place is still scary.

It's hard to remember a day that I have been there that a car didn't go home on the wrecker...

I recommend doing a test day.
I've been instructing with HOD for the past two years.
They run a very good program.
I believe their current policy allows for passengers.

I'll check into that.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

The one thing I can say with authority regarding HOD- NO OPEN PASSING.

All passing is with a signaled point-by, in designated 'passing zones'- left side only.

Run groups are between 30-40 cars, so you'll get a chance to learn the track without being held up in traffic.

Here's my best lap at Sears on video. it's a 2:01.
Lemon's cars will be hard pressed to get below 2:10-15's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ7uz7I4qfY

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

May I suggest using the IRL bypass/chicane and the shortcut in T11?

KT

trekkor wrote:

May I suggest using the IRL bypass/chicane and the shortcut in T11?
KT

No PLEASE don't suggest that for the race cuzz the normal T11 is a safe and clear place to pass, the abreviated IRL T11 is "too short" betweem T10 and T11 for a safe pass and/or out-brake move.  Sure the exit of T11 is a concrete wall, but it is the slowest turn on the track and most will be mellow through there I'm sure.  That straight between T10 and the normal T11 is one of the best and SAFEST areas to pass, the IRL T11 eliminates this essential passing area. Without some good and safe passing zones drivers may resort to "forcing" the pass on slower cars, resulting in contact.

some good and safe passing

Are we talking about the same race!?!

I'm jus keeding...

KT

I've got a few laps in at Sears.  If there's anyone who understands turn-in, apexes and exits but isn't familiar with Sears, shoot me a PM and I can send you a "guide" I wrote up a couple years ago describing the line and some of the unique aspects of the track.  It's written from the perspective of driving a spec miata, but there's probably still something to learn in there if you read it and then watch some in-car of someone driving the proper line.

I've got a few race videos up from Infineon at www.molaps.com/videos too.

Cheers,

Dean

Dean took me for an instructor demo ride a few years back in his 911.
Scared me. It was an eye opener, too! Thanks, Dean!

911's do things that 914's only do when they are in an unrecoverable spin...

KT

dtfastbear wrote:

I've got a few laps in at Sears.  If there's anyone who understands turn-in, apexes and exits but isn't familiar with Sears, shoot me a PM and I can send you a "guide" I wrote up a couple years ago describing the line and some of the unique aspects of the track.  It's written from the perspective of driving a spec miata, but there's probably still something to learn in there if you read it and then watch some in-car of someone driving the proper line.

I've got a few race videos up from Infineon at www.molaps.com/videos too.

Cheers,

Dean

I have no doubts that my time driving a spec miata (much slower than dean) has made me a better driver......

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Hay all, take Dean up on his offer

Trackmasters racing will be there on Sat Feb 6th.....$265 for 2.5 HOURS on track!!!!  I'm already signed up and will be there in the "estate"....  Who else will be there?

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

It's been fun watching the Lemons cars invading the open track day/DE groups.

Lot's of really nice, high dollar street cars and full race prepped cars...And us.
Fun to be a head turner in the paddock, and then hold your own on the track!

I hope to be at Sears with TMR, too. Not sure what car I'll bring.
I hope to have the 914 ready by then.

May just bring Filthy.

KT

trekkor wrote:

It's been fun watching the Lemons cars invading the open track day/DE groups.

Lot's of really nice, high dollar street cars and full race prepped cars...And us.
Fun to be a head turner in the paddock, and then hold your own on the track!

I hope to be at Sears with TMR, too. Not sure what car I'll bring.
I hope to have the 914 ready by then.

May just bring Filthy.

KT

This is SO TRUE....theres nothing better than watching the "real" racers walk by with their looks of disdain on their faces...only to PASS them on track!!! 

Its a win-win for us...."if" their car is faster, we say its a "real" race car.....if WE are faster...what can they say?????  Then when they realize they got passed by a crap can on STREET tires they really will start to cry

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Look forward to seeing you there, Bri-, Richard.

KT

I got a call from David Ray, owner of 'Hooked on Driving', last night.
Lemons racers are absolutely welcome!

Just make sure your car passes tech.
Lead follow sessions, classroom, expert instruction and the usual A, B, C and D experience level groups will be run all day.

See you there!

KT