Topic: New Comer Questions - Capeesh?

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to help out this team of newcomers.  We are a new team that has formed together with hopes of being a participant in the upcoming Capitol Offense 2010 event!

We purchased our “Car” recently and it is a quality,1992 Ford Thunderbird.   Is this going to be a decent choice in terms of uniqueness?  It didn’t seem to be one of the usual models that are referenced and we were careful to stay away from some of the imports that seem to get scrutinized by the fan base. 

I have a few questions that I was hoping the group could help with.  We have spent a lot of time combing the web sites, familiarizing ourselves with the rules, and beginning to prepare our car. 

Theme - Is there someone that we can run our theme by to understand the likelihood of us having the chance to participate?  We want to make sure that we peak the judges interest and don’t waste anyone’s time with a theme that may have already been used up

Brakes – Our t-bird has discs in the front and drums in the back.  Any advice on the degree of upgrades that we should seriously consider.  At the least, we are thinking we will replace the pads.  Should we change out the rotors for new, slotted/ vented rotors?  Any thoughts on whether we should focus time and $$$ on converting the back drums to rotors? Also can you confirm that ALL brake related expenditures count against safety.   

Roll Cages- I am seeing many options in terms of roll cages.  They seem to range from 200-600+ and I am not sure where we “should” be for the configuration needed.  All options seem to meet the form/function laid out in the FAQ section.  We looked at jegs web site and they have some options that are made specifically for our race car.  Is this the best route?  Other advice or things to consider? 

Harness – 5 or 6 point?  Suggestions on ease of install depending on the type that we choose?  I have heard that the 5 points can be uncomfortable for men.  True?

License – I see that we will need a license and it sounds like that is purchased following our being accepted.  Yes?

Gas – how do we arrange the fuel/gas for the particular event?  Specifically, we are applying for the Capitol Offense which is at Summit Point raceway.  Do we purchase fuel from the raceway or are there other options we will want to consider as well?

Training/Practice – Any advice on the type of training we should consider?  None of us have raced professionally outside of the usual highway sprints to Uncle Junior’s house.

Thanks for your advice

Re: New Comer Questions - Capeesh?

The T-Bird isn't all that unusual. Sure, it's not a cheater e30 or Miata, but it's not like you've got a Wartburg (or even an MG or Triumph) on your hands. So, it probably doesn't help you too much, but at least it doesn't hurt you much either.

Theme: If you've been reviewing the galleries of the "Top 120" cars of "Enter Race Here" on Jalopnik, you'll have a pretty good idea what themes have been done and overdone. Keep in mind that all the easy car-related themes have been overdone at this point, so don't make the mistake of (for example) taking your black car, painting the doors white, and making it a "cop car theme." Jay and crew seem to give high marks for theme originality, particularly for new teams.

Brakes: I don't know anything particular about T-Bird brakes, but I can confirm that all brake costs are not counted against your $500 budget. So if you choose to swap the rear drums to discs, that won't be counted against your budget. The degree of upgrading that you want/need to do on your car is a hotly-contested issue on this forum, so be careful that you may be walking where angels fear to tread on that topic.

Cages: Don't skimp. That cage may be the one thing that saves your life in a scary and unexpected situation (just ask Sparky Pete). If you don't know how to build a cage, you're well advised to find someone who does it professionally and have them do it for you.

Harness: Get a 6-point. They're not much more expensive and your cojones will thank you for not putting a tight strap right down the middle of your sack.

License: you're correct.

Gas: There are usually several options. You can often bring in your own fuel, but most teams that don't do a lot of other racing (NASA, SCCA, etc.) usually just buy their fuel at the track, if it's available there. Sure, it's usually a premium price, but the convenience is worth it if the alternative is a good drive away. On a race weekend, there is just so much to do that unless you have a big support crew, you have to simplify whenever possible just to make it through.

Training: Get yourselves to some HPDE's if at all possible at the very least. Driving school like Skip Barber would be great, but let's face it, most of us can't afford the time or expense or both. But if you can get to a HPDE put on by any number of organizations, even the few hours of instruction you get there would be helpful. There are any number of guys whose first on-track experience is when they drive Lemons for the first time. They are great fodder for the penalty box smile

This forum is a great place for these questions so keep on bringing them. Cheers and good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Regarding training, get thee to an autocross.  Do as much of it as you can.  It's cheap, you can do it in ANY car (but it's a good way to shake down your Lemon and figure out what it's handling quirks are), and most importantly, it allows you to drive your car at and BEYOND the limit.  When you're on a race track, you want to keep the car BELOW the limit, but the only way to learn the limit is to get out there and find it. (finding it in turn 3 immediately before you hit the tire wall during your first lap under green at the race is frowned upon)

So, autocross first.  Then HPDE.  Then Race.

Or you can just show up at a Lemons race with no experience... it's been done before.  Will be done again.  Not really the best way to go, though.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

^^what Loren said.  my first time on a track at all was a Lemons race, and the fact that i'd had a lot of autoX experience really paid off.  I did get one black flag at that event (touching a cone...stupid autoX habits wink ) but that's been it through 5 races.  so the fact you're a novice W2W racer doens't mean you're doomed (and it also doesn't give you an excuse for driving like a d-bag).

but seriously, autoX will be the cheapest, best way to get at-the-limit experience in your Lemons car, and it's a good way to shake the car down.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Getting the cage in the car was a huge time sink for us.  I'd recommend getting someone to do it for you unless you've done one before.  That way you can focus your energy on the car.  We didn't have our first car running right until the day of the race.  We spent a great deal of time at that race fixing things.

I would consider upgrading your pads to street/track pads but sticking with stock rotors but someone with more Thunderbird specific knowledge might have a better idea.  Autozone stock pads worked fine in the Merkur, but only lasted about 3 hours in the Civic.  Your mileage will vary.

I would go with a Thunderbirds TV show theme.  Call the car "Thunderbird 7" or whatever the next numeric increment is and buy some light blue jump suits.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Spider, the Jegster kits are inexpensive and require a fair amount of work to install.

The Thunderbird will just use a Mustang cage which they might make specifically for a Mustang.  According to Jay, Jegs uses a few kits they sell for a wide variety of cars.

I have one in the 240Z and it is just ok.  It is not DOM which could bit me in the ass in the future.  It requires notching which means you need a notcher and hole saws.  I have added to my cage in addition to the kit.  I think I could do a better job on another install since it was my first but I feel like a DOM cage is a better investment at this point and the cheap cages are not DOM.

Aside from increased safety, there are additional racing options but most will want to see an SCCA/NASA legal cage which means DOM.  So you get more versatility out of your car as well as safety.

Brakes are unlimited.  Do what you need to to make them work properly for the whole race.  What that involves in highly debated.  Personally, I like race pads and discs on all four corners.  As long as you don't hit me I don't care what you have.

Practice/training, I have never Auto Crossed.  I would prefer a DE with an instructor.  It is pricier and will be more like the kind of driving we do in the same kind of environment.

Aside from that, there are already good comments on your questions in the post.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thank you all for your advice and feedback.  Excellent help and we are anxious to keep learning more

What is a DOM roll cage?

DOM is the type of tubing used.  ERW is the other kind.  DOM is stronger and will protect you better.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

9 (edited by Winging it 2009-12-28 07:27 PM)

DOM is seamless. ERW has a seam and can split at the seam if its heavily stressed.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

DOM = Drawn Over Mandrel tubing.  any materials (metal) supply shop or chassis shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Where are you out of spider?

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

its a VERY good idea for your drivers to get some type of on track practice, hopefully in the Lemons race vehicle.....Driver Education events are a great way to get seat time and gives you a chance to spot potential problem areas (most are heat related)......autocrosses are another good way to learn car control....

When I decided to build-race a Lemons car...the 1st thing I worried about was SAFETY...& I built the Lemons racer STRONGER than my similar "real" race car....top of the line cage-drivers seat-harness-anything safety related.....  its money well spent..& consider you will be spending a LONG time in the car so a comfortable seat-driving position really reduces driver fatigue...

A reliable car will beat a fast car 99% of the time....I brought a "fast" car and it blew up....so 73 other "slow-er" cars beat my "fast" car.....  the slowest car on the track is gaining ground on the broken or penalized "fast" car...we spent about and hour in the penalty box......that's about 20 laps......

but by far the most important aspect of Lemons racing is HAVE FUN...it is the most fun I have ever had in my short "racing" career....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Most of the team is out of Downingtown, PA

Thanks for the DOM explanation.

icemang17 wrote:

A reliable car will beat a fast car 99% of the time....

You should think about tattooing this on your forehead in reverse so that you see it every time you look in the mirror. Because Lemons is a "race," the natural temptation is to figure out how to make your car go faster. As we all know, the faster car wins the race, right? Well, sort of. Except that this race is all about endurance first, endurance second, not getting penalties for stupid driving third, and speed probably about last.

So when you're getting your car prepped for the race, make sure to concentrate on what is going to keep your car running longer versus what will make it go faster. When you run into that conflict in your decision-matrix (and you will, repeatedly), the smart thing is to go with the option that will enhance your reliability and longevity.

Of course, most of us can't avoid the temptation to try to go faster, and then we break our cars. And our wallets. And our hearts. And then we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and start all over again. That's Lemons. Enjoy! smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

st_rage wrote:

I would go with a Thunderbirds TV show theme.  Call the car "Thunderbird 7" or whatever the next numeric increment is and buy some light blue jump suits.

Great idea, I don't think that's been done before. You could even make up costumes so you look like giant puppets. I'd paint it green and go with a Thunderbird 2 theme however given how similar the '92 Bird's shape is to T2 anyway. Add a couple of wings and you'd be there!

spider wrote:

cool.  our team (Schumacher Taxi) is also out of the Philly area (Philly, Warminster, Wilmington, etc).  nice to have another local team.

12+-time loser

Here is an old guy test.

What's the word?.......  Thunderbird
How's it sold?.......  Nice and cold
What's the price?.......   30 twice

Thunderbird Wine theme. Winos and bums.

Buzz Killington wrote:
spider wrote:

cool.  our team (Schumacher Taxi) is also out of the Philly area (Philly, Warminster, Wilmington, etc).  nice to have another local team.

Aw, c'mon now, we don't count?  We're only a bridge away, and one of our guys is in Pottstown smile

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Great to hear all of the comraderie and locals. 

It has been an interesting turn of events as to how we ended up with the T-bird and I look forward to sharing our stories with everyone.

Working on descuzzing the car as we speak

Forget about it!

JThw8 wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
spider wrote:

Aw, c'mon now, we don't count?  We're only a bridge away, and one of our guys is in Pottstown smile

oh, you guys certainly count.  more local teams are always good.  i meant "another" as in addition to our already-strong local roster. wink we now have a guy from Burlington, so we're representing Jersey.

i grew up in Wash Twp and went to Rowan...i definitely have the SJ love.

12+-time loser

Mulry wrote:

Of course, most of us can't avoid the temptation to try to go faster, and then we break our cars. And our wallets. And our hearts. And then we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and start all over again. That's Lemons. Enjoy! smile

not necessarily in that order, either! ;-)

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

spider wrote:

Working on descuzzing the car as we speak

Yeah, don't do that.

For the brakes, use stainless steel brake hoses. Forget about fancy drilled/slotted rotors. We used some andthey cracked and wore the Porterfield race pads prematurely. Use high temp brake fluid.

See if some Mustang front brakes with better 2 piston calipers and larger rotors will fit. Probably can find them in a junkyard for cheap.

You should find a bed on Craigslist and some sheets/comforter and make a "Thunderbed". Then you can all come in your PJ's.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360