Topic: B.F.E. GP rules clarification, please.

I was just reading the track rules, and came across this:

Lights: Headlights, taillights, and sidemarkers removed or completely taped over

The Lemons rules read:

•3.8.1: Brake Lights: At all times, each car must have at least one working brake light that is easily seen from the rear. The light should be located where a mild rear-end impact won't break or obscure it. Good spots include inside the rear-windshield area; on top of the parcel shelf; and on the deck at the base of the rear-windshield area.

I'm a Newbie, so excuse my lameness.  We were planning on making our own "indestructible" taillights recessed in the stock location.. do you think this would be OK?  Maybe tape the red plexiglass over with clear tape just in case?  I don't want to go to the effort of building our "custom" tail lights if they'll just end up in the trash.  Not that they'd be anything more than plexi and cardboard anyway...

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Re: B.F.E. GP rules clarification, please.

Just tape them over and you should be fine.  The bottom line is they don't want busted glass shards on the track and you have to have atleast one brake light at all times,  so running a high mounted 3rd light or putting them in a better location so they can't get poked out are all good ideas.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

just have a roll of clear packing tape with you at tech.  If they don't like your lights, tape them over at that point.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I would say tape them before you go to tech, since they are sure to want them taped.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

I's just go ahead and get a LED trailer light like we did and mount it at the base of the rear window. We were paranoid about getting rear-ended so we added two more on each side of the licence plate but that's not really necessary.

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Brake_Lights.jpg

Chrysler minivans (late 80s/early 90s, I think) have great center brake lights for Lemons cars. They're flat and easy to mount on trunk lids, on package shelves, etc. Here's a pair of them mounted on the Black Metal V8olvo's Fiero wing, and this rig survived the notorious "Altamont Demolition Derby II, Electric Boogaloo" race.

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Lemons_Fiero_Wing_Rear.jpg

Might want to think about using Lexan instead of plexi. Lexan is less likely to shatter in an impact. You can usually get it in small sizes & quantities at Home Depot in the replacement windows & doors section. Cheers & good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Cadillac Bob wrote:

I was just reading the track rules, and came across this:

Lights: Headlights, taillights, and sidemarkers removed or completely taped over

The Lemons rules read:

•3.8.1: Brake Lights: At all times, each car must have at least one working brake light that is easily seen from the rear. The light should be located where a mild rear-end impact won't break or obscure it. Good spots include inside the rear-windshield area; on top of the parcel shelf; and on the deck at the base of the rear-windshield area.

I'm a Newbie, so excuse my lameness.  We were planning on making our own "indestructible" taillights recessed in the stock location.. do you think this would be OK?  Maybe tape the red plexiglass over with clear tape just in case?  I don't want to go to the effort of building our "custom" tail lights if they'll just end up in the trash.  Not that they'd be anything more than plexi and cardboard anyway...

If you want to try something that really works good and does a good job of keeping stuff intact even after an impact is clear helicopter tape. They come is a few different lengths but can be used for front and rear lights. This stuff can take a good lick a keep stuff intact. (Full Body Kart hitting a tire wall at around 40 mph and not cracking the body work while other karts that didn't use this tape had broken to shattered bodies after the same impact.)

Thanks, fellas!

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

The other advantage of using LEDs is that they (theoretically; you never know the quality of a 7-year old Chinese kid's soldering) won't stop working after you inevitably crash due to a busted filament.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones