1 (edited by Brett85p 2015-10-22 06:49 AM)

Topic: Trailer brakes, how long do they last?

I noticed on the way to/from Joliet that my trailer brakes were not as effective as they had been in the past. Unloaded with the controller on 4-5 you could previously really feel the trailer brakes being applied but empty it was not as noticeable. With the trailer loaded I had to crank up to 7.5 to even convince myself that they were doing anything, this is compared with 4-5 on the controller in the past.

Details...
26 foot enclosed trailer, bought new about 18 months ago, been used 4 times to and from races Gingerman/Joliet from St Louis and one trip with a big heavy Dodge Magnum STL to Springfield IL.

Is it likely that the brake shoes are already worn out? maybe glazed or something? I expect that these were the cheapest brake shoes available based on the price of the trailer!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Re: Trailer brakes, how long do they last?

They may need to be adjusted.  Drums typically auto-adjust when reversed, that may not be true for trailers, you may need a adjustment tool and do it manually.  S/F.....Ken M

On a related note, make sure to check the grease and the axle nuts in your trailer hubs/bearings sooner than you think you might need to. One of our guys bought a brand new trailer off the lot last year and after the first long tow the bearings needed to be repacked and the nuts were loose. Guess things kind of wear in after the first trip.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Time to schedule some winter trailer maintenance, just as well the race car doesn't need much done.

All good tips but I do have to say that on my open trailer that I've owned for 20+ years I have yet to replace the brake shoes. They are still looking good. Of course how you use your trailer and where you live will effect brake life. I live in the "flat" Midwest and don't haul my race car very far. The longest tow one way was 300 miles on a very flat interstate highway.

It's all been flat Midwest towing for me so far but will be hauling down to Barber in February where there are a few more hills.

You may also want to bleed them also.

Drums tend to be durable, but without auto adjusting and possibly horrible dot 3 fluid that sucks in all the water it can, it may just be basic maintenance things.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

We just had an issue with our trailer brakes, turns out it was 2 issues, one was a broken wire, and the other was the grease seals were over packed and were oozing into the drums.  That's my experience

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!

They're probably just in need of adjustment. New shoes/pads are recommended to be adjusted after the first couple hundred miles, then annually/3k miles. When I first got my trailer the brakes sucked. Dug into things and it appeared as though someone had replaced the shoes but didn't adjust them up. Now all is well. Ditto on the bearings, they will loosen up too from new.

We just had a look at our trailer brakes. I replaced them  5 years/ 20 races ago, with complete assys.  The brakes were in great shape but the bearings on the brake axle were wasted. The non brake hubs are original from 2003 & still spin quietly. As it was cheaper to get complete assys, all made in China of course, It should not surprise me that  the bearings were the first thing to fail.

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

In my case, they last longer than the leaf springs.  The good news is 3500lb leaf springs are $25 each.  The bad news is they're $25 each. 

Inspect stuff often.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.