Topic: Sears Pointless race in March

Have the accepted entries been notified?   I lost a computer and may have missed the emails. 

thanks.

grumpy

Re: Sears Pointless race in March

Yes, they have. If you go to your online application and it tells you to pick a number and pay up (payments were due yesterday), then you are in (assuming they haven't given your spot to someone on the waitlist if you didn't pay on time).

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Payments were due by last night, so good luck to you.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Not to jack this thread, but on this same topic, when does one find out about acceptance?  We've registered for our first ever Lemons race and I'd hate to miss a deadline!  IOW, what is the first indication that a team has been accepted, and (generally) how much of a heads-up do you get?

--Bob

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

The entry deadlines occur on the Saturday 10 weeks before the race you are applying for, and the notifications are usually done by Monday the following week.  If there is a race the weekend of the entry deadline, it might take an extra day for Jay to notify everyone.  Payments are due around 7-10 days after the acceptance emails go out.

If you are not sure you got in several days after the deadline, you can go to your entry page.  If you got in, you will have additional info to complete like the car number.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

After using secret/sneaky tactics and basic math it appears as if there will be about 125 cars at Sears?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

After using secret/sneaky tactics and basic math it appears as if there will be about 125 cars at Sears?

KT

That should be alot of fun. I cant wait to see which configuration we will be using. Watching yesterdays chump car race got me all pumped back up and itching to get back at it.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

I wonder when the track layout will be released...

The sooner the better, as I will go walk it *every night* after work!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

trekkor wrote:

KT

That sounds about right......

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

The stupid blue Jeep will be there.  Cant wait!

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

ifb_mole had a pretty good take on track layout for Sears Pointless:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=3075

I'm pretty certain that we won't be using the NASCAR setup, which is good. I want to run the 4/5/6 complex, plus it sounds like we'll need the extra space anyway.

ifb_mole has a very good point about 7/7a, using the far left entry (not the drag strip) and then the NASCAR boot down at 7a would make it more fun. By which I mean twisty = fun.

I'd bet that they'll run the IRL chicane at 9, if for no other reason than to avoid high-speed stupidity at 10. It's going to be pretty hard to blow up 10 after the IRL chicane, plus that hard-right, hard-left chicane is entertaining.

I would like to see us use the T11 hairpin rather than the cut-off version onto T1, but in the interest of keeping these crapcans from getting too fast at the end of the T1 straight (and in the interest of keeping somebody from cooking their brakes and doing a header into the tire wall at the T11 hairpin), I would fully understand if they used 11a instead. In fact, I'd be surprised if we don't use 11a as I think about it a little more. That would probably eliminate putting in that tire kink at T1 that they used in Chump. I think that Jay has shied away from tire chicanes at this point, mostly for the liability-avoidance reasons that he's mentioned somewhere.

I wonder if they'll let us use the hot pits or if we'll have to do everything in the paddock? Seems that the pit complex at Infineon is large enough that it would work well for Lemons. Plus, hot pits are fun.

I'm really excited for the race.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We just used the full T11 and it was fine...we got into fourth just before s/f and then back to third for kink version of T1.  The painted curb at T11 will keep things interesting, especially for front drivers.  Sunday morning the track was damp and oh my...I didn't want anything to do with that paint.  I went down to T11 and watched.  If there were 18 cars on the track, there were 18 lines through T11.  I used at least three lines myself.  Inside the paint, straddling the paint and completely outside the paint.  I think outside the paint worked the best.  On a 1.5 hour stint and two minutes a lap...that's 45 chances you will have to figure it out.
Now, Sunday morning through 2,3,4 was tiptoe the whole way...heart in mouth...no breathing...severe pucker factor.

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

sawinatthewheel wrote:

We just used the full T11 and it was fine...we got into fourth just before s/f and then back to third for kink version of T1.  The painted curb at T11 will keep things interesting, especially for front drivers.  Sunday morning the track was damp and oh my...I didn't want anything to do with that paint.  I went down to T11 and watched.  If there were 18 cars on the track, there were 18 lines through T11.  I used at least three lines myself.  Inside the paint, straddling the paint and completely outside the paint.  I think outside the paint worked the best.  On a 1.5 hour stint and two minutes a lap...that's 45 chances you will have to figure it out.
Now, Sunday morning through 2,3,4 was tiptoe the whole way...heart in mouth...no breathing...severe pucker factor.

funny, I used the paint on every lap to help my poor MR2 rotate smile

trekkor wrote:

I wonder when the track layout will be released...

The sooner the better, as I will go walk it *every night* after work!

KT

Where was the pit in/pit out?  (ie. Where is the best place to setup our team (in close proximity to the Sunoco gas pumps as well)?)

The track exit is the normal exit lane that goes around the outside of T11 and puts you right at the gas pumps.

There are at least three possible entries:
1. near the pumps ( not likely )
2. between the garages ( maybe )
3. between the garages and the grandstands ( probably )

I have some aerial photos of the facility somewhere...

KT

Well,  we just got a notice and are into the race for Sears Pointless!  Beware the Moonshiners!

17 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-01-13 03:45 PM)

Mulry wrote:

I would fully understand if they used 11a instead. In fact, I'd be surprised if we don't use 11a as I think about it a little more. That would probably eliminate putting in that tire kink at T1 that they used in Chump. I think that Jay has shied away from tire chicanes at this point, mostly for the liability-avoidance reasons that he's mentioned somewhere.

11a would only reduce the speed into 1 and eliminate the concrete wall exit, but other issues arise:

1.)  It reduces the length of the track, longer is better, safer and more fun
2.)  It virtually eliminates two of the best passing zones - between T10 / T11 and between T11 / T2
3.)  the entry speed into T1 at Infineon is LESS than the entry speed into T1 at Thunderhill and at Thunderhill there was no issues at T1. So there is no need to run the "dimple" T1 or have a chicane or run the 11a bypass, IMHO.

Finally most of the damage at Infineon is in the normal essess from T8 - T10 and by running the Indy Car T9 "bypass" all the danger is mitigated, it turns Infineon into a much more safe, yet fun track with no reduction in lenghth.  With 100+ cars, longer is better.  I vote NO on the abbreviated 11a bypass and the T1 "dimple". If it was up for a vote of course.