Topic: Cage Question and Possible Teammates

I have been watching this Lemons deal for some time now and am ready to jump in.
2 questions.
I only have 1 other buddy willing to go in. Typical deal, had 6 guys all revved up, talked about it for a year, and then when it came time to start a build the wives shot em down. I am in Southern California, any ideas where we can find 2 other drivers to share seat time and costs. We are both ex shifter cart racers and my buddy has raced numerous types of road racing outside of carts and bikes. DOubt we will win anything but we aren't going to emberass the team too bad.
Second, what is the best way to cage a street car. Do you recommend Summit ro Jegs or go straight to a fab shop and have one built.
We aren't exactly wealthy and want to be safe but also do it on a budget.
Thanks!

2 (edited by Troy 2010-01-14 11:06 PM)

Re: Cage Question and Possible Teammates

Did you already buy the 88 RX7?

Maybe you could reconsider calling it Loud 88 RX7.

One thing I have learned really quickly about rotaries, they are freakin' load.

Regarding your cage.  I have a Jegster cage and they require a fair amount of work to install.  They use ERW tubing instead of DOM which can lead to limitations down the road if you decide to do something else with the car.  I believe they have a X door bar option.  We made NASCAR style door bars which are far more convenient.

Since you are in California, I recommend you contact Evil Genius Racing.  They recently posted here on the forum they will install a DOM Lemons cage for $850.  That's a great deal.

This is a complete side note to consider.  West Coast Lemons events are hugely popular and the most oversubscribed events.  So getting into those events can be difficult, especially for a new team. 

Since you already have commitment issues, you might want to consider finding a team in need of drivers and doing an arrive and drive.

Your personal safety gear will typically run you around $500.

An Arrive and Drive spot will typically start at $500 as well.

If you think that's a lot of money to show up and race in a first event, you are severely misguided.

This arrangement will save you a lot of time, money, pain and suffering.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thanks, really appreciate it. Is there a list of teams with Arrive and Drive spots available or do you literally just show up. So they really limit cars out here in Cali. This must be more fun than I thought. WHat is the normal car count at say a Buttonwillow or Sears Point? Are most of the drivers respectful? I know accidents happen but do you get many spin junkies out there?
Thanks again the the info!

Look in Human Resources.

And what the f%&k were your friends thinkig when they asked their wives?  That's a last minute, "oh, by the way..." thing.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Look in Human Resources.

And what the f%&k were your friends thinkig when they asked their wives?  That's a last minute, "oh, by the way..." thing.

"Honey, here's my new life insurance policy that pays you big if something happens.

I'm going racing this weekend."

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

"Honey, I'm fullfilling my Walter Mitty fantasy of being a real racecar driver.  Are you going to quash my dreams [again?] and say no?"

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Or the expensive but never fails approach.

"Honey, you deserve a girls shopping weekend in NYC with your friends.  Here's my AMEX, go nuts"

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Look in Human Resources.

"Honey, here's my new life insurance policy that pays you big if something happens.

I'm going racing this weekend."

I did have to get insurance before my wife was "somewhat OK" w/ me going racing.

I don't think the insurance covers "death while racing", though

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

My policy doesn't cover it either.
BTW, I just TELL my wife I'm going! Tuff guy, that's me...oh yeah, "and it's practically free"!

$500 / 4 = 125 each

that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission!!!!!

250 GTO

"They're paying for the car honey, all I'm responsible for doing is building the car and getting the tools to work on it."

And, mine found an insurance policy immediately.  I didn't even ask if it covered racing, because she didn't.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

JThw8 wrote:

Or the expensive but never fails approach.

"Honey, you deserve a girls shopping weekend in NYC with your friends.  Here's my AMEX, go nuts"

Or try suckering her into a no-lose bet, then win your free pass.  Worked for me...she's shopping for Nomex. Won't share a suit with me for some reason...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

...she's shopping for Nomex. Won't share a suit with me for some reason...

Naw, that's for post-race recreational activites. Giggity.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fe/Glenn_Quagmire.png

Ha! the real reason is that she's 2 inches taller than me...figuring the seat is gonna be a headache. We did a lapping day in F2000's and they had to damn near rebuild the car to fit her in...she eventually ran without the seat insert. I'm hoping that the crap can racing bug bites her too...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Giggity!

I personally will never have faith in a prefab roll cage kit again. It cost me nearly as much to buy the rollbar plus the add-on cage kit and shipping and welding as it did to have Evil Johnevil bend and weld me up a custom cage.

The "well known" kit had some structural design flaws, and I hear they were mildly disinterested when John brought his concerns to their attention.

It's nice to have an actual connection to the people your brain functions may depend on.

Support your local cage builder. Flipping ain't fun if ur dead.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Evil Johnevil

I like that.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I think a lot of the pre-fab kits assume you'll do a lot of fab work at the mounting plates....my experience with some of the stock car kits is some assume that you'll seriously gut the interior including the roof reinforcement...or "hang " the body on the cage....must be great to run a convertible!

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Sparky, I am not sure which "well known" cage you are talking about but the Kirkey Cage for the 1970-1983 Z cars has room for improvement.

The main hoop does not go to the floor which bothers me.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z