Topic: D-Spec FTW!

Although it sounded like an awesome idea (people racing on Douglas Xtra Trac II tires), nobody signed up for it. What's it like driving on tires you can only get at Walmart? Surprisingly un-terrible. Here's video proof.

https://youtu.be/GTr71BiYPl4

Also, the team that hit us last year tried again this year. Our driver decided it was easier to wash off dirt than unbend metal. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/w--vI_Ug1c0

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com

Re: D-Spec FTW!

Was it the golf or the Mazda that started the issues? Hard to tell from the ole iPhone screen

Del Camino - Vodden 2015, 97th, Organizers Choice (best cartruck); Sears Pointless 2016, 51stl; Vodden 2016, 33rd; ArseFreeze 2016, 33rd

The Yugo was on Douglas.  Howled through the corners

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

3:51 in a Miata on those hard ass tires is impressive! You're right about the lack of drama or tortured screams from them. It just seemed like brake inputs took longer and there was more lag time before getting back to the throttle than normal.

What was the corner speed delta in turn 1 between those and 200tw?

bendawson3 wrote:

3:51 in a Miata on those hard ass tires is impressive! You're right about the lack of drama or tortured screams from them. It just seemed like brake inputs took longer and there was more lag time before getting back to the throttle than normal.

What was the corner speed delta in turn 1 between those and 200tw?

The difference is only a couple mph in any given corner. It adds up everywhere though. Take 1 mph off the car in every corner on a 5 mile track and you're looking at a lap time difference of about 3 seconds. You have to do everything slower and smoother. It's a bit like driving a wet track.

We're going to keep running Douglas tires in Lemons. They are cheap, durable, and crazy fun. A big part of the Lemons culture is the "big joke" of racing crappy cars. We're not the SCCA. Might as well take that joke to tires. Fuck the manufacturers and the magazines talking up the latest 200 treadwear tries. We're buying our American made tires at Walmart once per year and spending $42 per tire. Every time we pass some A-classer on sticky rubber we're grinning ear to ear. The car is giggling too. It sounds like tire squeal.

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible

There actually were at least four or five other cars running 350+ tread wear tires. If I'm not mistaken, the black 1988 Mercedes had something like 360TW Fuzions or something or other, and they might have run more laps than the MIata. [sad face] Still you were the only car in Class D on Race Monitor, so YOU WIN! :-)

Good on you for sticking with the D-Specs, Ian. I predict a driver revolt in about 2 or 3 races, though. :-p

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

skivittlerjimb wrote:

I predict a driver revolt in about 2 or 3 races, though. :-p

The tires will still have tread on them...

8 (edited by jem 2016-05-23 12:58 PM)

D-spec?   Yeah we were there.

Shaun the Sheep (844) - '87 325i w/M30B35 swap.  Ran for the first time Wed night.  Stock brakes, OE pads, stock (we think) springs (3in too high).

Our hotshoe did 3.55 on 4.5 cylinders with a couple plugged injectors Saturday.   Four Falken Sincera Touring 720-treadwear 195/65-14s.   Blew a tire and dinged a wheel in a 'contact incident' at the end of the session.

We turned up a set of Ford 19lb injectors for Sunday, and with a pair of another team's (thanks Whale) shop-transportation wheels with eight-year-old 185/60-14s Prime Well whatevers on the front he did 3.48.

jem wrote:

D-spec?   Yeah we were there.

Shaun the Sheep (844) - '87 325i w/M30B35 swap.  Ran for the first time Wed night.  Stock brakes, OE pads, stock (we think) springs (3in too high).

Our hotshoe did 3.55 on 4.5 cylinders with a couple plugged injectors Saturday.   Four Falken Sincera Touring 720-treadwear 195/65-14s.   Blew a tire and dinged a wheel in a 'contact incident' at the end of the session.

We turned up a set of Ford 19lb injectors for Sunday, and with a pair of another team's (thanks Whale) eight-year-old shop-transportation wheels with 185/60-14s Prime Well whatevers on the front he did 3.48.

Damn, somehow the D-Spec sign-in didn't quite work. But awesome that you were there on 720 treadwear! Did the Sincera's hold up? Any sign of blistering or chunking? 3:48 is a fine lap on Prime Wells.

10 (edited by jem 2016-05-23 01:41 PM)

Both the Sinceras and the Prime Wells look exactly like they did when we got them.   The Sinceras were near full-tread,   No chunking, minimal discernable wear, wore the corners off the tread and that's about it.   They could have been going back and forth to Wal-Mart for all we could tell. 

Of course the borrowed Prime Wells were worn to 30% before we got them, and were hard as a rock. 

We were running about 30 psi all day.    I had more trouble personally with brake-pad fade than I did with the tires.

We'll do D-spec again if it happens, just 'cause it's a cheap way to learn the car.  Our fastest driver has done some drifting, and wants to rent the skidpad for us to practice...

Next time we'll actually have spare wheels in case something happens.  It was a miracle we got on track at this event at all, much less that we ran 85% of Saturday pfft-pfft-pfft and all of Sunday on six cylinders.

drKorf wrote:

Although it sounded like an awesome idea (people racing on Douglas Xtra Trac II tires), nobody signed up for it.

Sorry, I'd meant to look into what was going on with D-Spec prior to leaving for the track, but I was WAY too busy with just getting the damn thing driveable (also a lame excuse for not executing our theme...). We intentionally did not buy new tires because of D-Spec.

Please, do this again! I'll leave the sticker on the back of #844 smile

12 (edited by jem 2016-05-23 02:01 PM)

bacomatic wrote:
drKorf wrote:

Although it sounded like an awesome idea (people racing on Douglas Xtra Trac II tires), nobody signed up for it.

We intentionally did not buy new tires because of D-Spec.

Well, we need to buy new tires now to replace the blown one and a second set...but we can stay D-Spec if it happens.   Better pads and more air to the brakes though.

That was me screaming out of the window.

cheseroo wrote:

The Yugo was on Douglas.  Howled through the corners

the red Golf that took you off track in the video took me off track on Sunday at the bottom of turn 10 coming onto the old track. I had a hell of a run at the bottom of the hill in the right hander and tracked all the way out onto the rumble strip. he literally moved over from mid track so I couldn't get my left side tires back on before the end of the rumbles. I still made the pass with the left side tires off track before the left hander then he came down the right side of me and side swiped/door slammed me in front of the corner workers.
bottom line, they finally threw the team out and we were back on track and an apology for their behavior from Judge Steve.