Topic: possible new track for los angeles county.

http://www.fairmontbuttemotorsportspark.com/index.html

http://www.fairmontbuttemotorsportspark.com/images/FBMP_Aerial_View-m.jpg

looks flat as a board, but its interesting to note that if built this would be the first track in 50 years for the county.

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

Re: possible new track for los angeles county.

If this were a stock, I would short it all day long. Between the NIMBYs and the environmentalists, I'd put the chances of this actually happening in the PRC at approximately 0.000%. But good luck with that smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Between the NIMBYs and the environmentalists, I'd put the chances of this actually happening in the PRC at approximately 0.000%.

they seem optimistic!

On the surface, it’s not hard to understand why some would question the wisdom of locating a racetrack in close proximity to a state park such as the Poppy Reserve. But when the facts of the location, terrain, environment, design, usage plans and mitigation measures are clearly understood, the major concerns fade away or become minor.

Key Facts

* Physical footprint – Just 140 acres of the 320-acre property will be graded for the project.
    * Views – The 300-foot high Fairmont Butte that defines the southern boundary of the project is a visual barrier (and natural sound deterrent) for our neighbor to the south, the Poppy Reserve.
    * Noise – L.A. County-approved certified testing has shown that racing vehicle sound is barely audible from footpaths on the Poppy Reserve closest to the racetrack site and often below the ambient level.
    * Noise Mitigation – The already minimal noise will be further reduced by placing strict limits on all racing vehicles, tested and enforced on-site.
    * Traffic – No large-scale commercial racing is contemplated and would not be allowed under the existing plan.
    * Lighting – Racing and testing activities would be held only during daylight hours. For the purposes of security and maintenance, “dark-sky lighting” will be used to minimize the effects on the surrounding area.
    * Frequency of Racing – Racing events will almost exclusively take place on weekends plus occasional Friday for related testing. No racing organization that we know of offers races during the week—it’s just not practical.
    * Biota – Independent studies show that while there will be some impact to habitat, there would be no impact to wildlife movement or to the Poppy Reserve.

Getting All the Facts Straight – Unfortunately, despite the facts clearly stated in the DEIR, a number of people in opposition to the project have made claims about the project that are false, inaccurate and contrary to the DEIR. For more detail, please see Issues & Answers sheet.

Mulry wrote:

If this were a stock, I would short it all day long. Between the NIMBYs and the environmentalists, I'd put the chances of this actually happening in the PRC at approximately 0.000%. But good luck with that smile

Unfortunately I agree with you. There has been talk of building a new track in San Diego vicinity for years and the only one that was built is on an Indian reservation because the Indians could tell everyone else to STFU. In the meantime, two other tracks in the area closed.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

you guys are too damn pessimistic!

6 (edited by Mulry 2009-12-29 12:45 PM)

Hey, I hope that I'm wrong about that. But at the risk of referencing a flame war, they tried to build a new track up at Merced a few years ago in an economic climate where it was much, much easier to achieve financing and it still failed at the hands of the environmentalists. It looks like they've been doing their homework, but the track organizers had better have a deep legal budget because the environmental opponents are pretty resourceful in fighting these things. Eve if the project gets County approval (and again, I hope it does), it's still likely to get hogtied in litigation for several years before a favorable resolution. The environmentalists know that in terms of development, delay works to their favor.

Like I said, I hope I wind up being wrong about all of this because I like race tracks. But Riverside Park is a freaking shopping mall now, you know?

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I hope it gets built, but in the Republic of Kalifornia its unlikely.....all the hippies will cry about some endangered grasshopper that lives ONLY in this valley.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

I hope it gets built, but in the Republic of Kalifornia its unlikely.....all the hippies will cry about some endangered grasshopper that lives ONLY in this valley.....

perhaps we will get lucky and someone will park their car in some tall grass. burning the area thus eliminating any natural endangered valley grasshoppers.

Now that sounds dangerously close to the kind of conspiracy theory that we can all get behind! smile

10 (edited by magnusracing 2009-12-30 09:41 AM)

When I become dictator of California I'm converting ALL golf courses to race tracks.

On a side note I think that several historical CA race tracks have been converted to golf courses... off the top of my head I can think of Torrey Pines and Pebble Beach.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Chuckwalla in Dessert center is in construction.

Deathmobile