1 (edited by "Sparky" Pete 2010-01-15 12:18 PM)

Topic: Sears Point Test and Tune session?

What's the latest word on Friday Test and Tune at Infineon?

The race info page on the Lemons website still shows TBA. I was up there last weekend and although they had a test day, I was told you had to hold a current sanctioned competition license to get out on the track. No temporary crap-can cards before the race.

Should we expect the same for Sears Pointless??

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Re: Sears Point Test and Tune session?

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

What's the latest word on Friday Test and Tune at Infineon?

The race info page on the Lemons website still shows TBA. I was up there last weekend and although they had a test day, I was told you had to hold a current sanctioned competition license to get out on the track. No temporary crap-can cards before the race.

Should we expect the same for Sears Pointless??

That would suck....since I don't have a "real" license :>(  I'm sure I'll need the practice too

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I would suspect  that is the case because the test day is more the track rules than Lemons, that's why the track configuration for the Chumpcar test day was the the standard full road race course  - not the Chumpcar configuration - and they required a valid license from a recognized sanctioning body, that was the track rules. 

Unless Jay can work some magic with the management, it will be the same I'm sure  It is most likely an insurance/liability concern.  Lemons insurance is probably only "valid" on Sat /Sun, not Friday and the track coverage may REQUIRE a valid competition lic for test days.

Kinda sucks for everyone.  If you have a license, you won't be able to test on the actual Lemons configuration unless Jay runs the full road race course (No 7a, 9a, highly unlikely) and if you don't have a license, you can't run!!

The potential consequences of this suggest that hilarity will ensue. It's not all bad; if we can't test/tune, it gives teams more time to work on their thematic elements and presentation. In addition, it gives everyone (other than fancy pants racers with licenses other than the treasured and hard-to-get Lemons Competition License) their custom-made no-whiner excuse for their black flags: I didn't get to test/tune yesterday! How was I supposed to know that there are these blind exit opposite camber turns on this track? Of course I was going to go off without test/tune practice!

I suspect that Jonny and Phil will simply LOVE those kind of excuses.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I would sure like to think they would recognize the licenses of the idiots they are going to let lose in a Saturday race during Friday's Test & Tune.

When they have done Test & Tune sessions at MSRH for the Lemons races, they set the course up like the race.  I believe they do the same thing for SCCA & NASA.

It doesn't make sense to have a Test & Tune but not allow the racers to actually use it.  Maybe they just like making lawn repairs.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

The reason you had to have a "real" license was because it wasn't really FOR Chumpcar... it was just an open track-day.  We got to watch some REALLY fast cars on Friday (Star Mazdas) and I was told that the guy practicing held the track record for his class.  It was fun to watch the crap-cans on the track with the "fast guys"

Well hopefully then, the Friday test day will be FOR Lemons and it won't be an issue and the track will be configured exactly as it will be used for the race.

Day before Sears Pointless is listed as a test day on the Infineon Schedule (http://www.infineonraceway.com/schedule … _schedule/).

Yes, test days are almost always a track run affair. I don't think Jay wants to buy another day from the track just for us to test and tune! Many tracks don't require a racing license for test and tune. I'm surprised Infineon does.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Hooked on Driving, on Thurday, will allow Lemons racers to run.
( within their rules and structure )

No open passing.
( we will likely be there )
Four day track weekend!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

magnusracing wrote:

Yes, test days are almost always a track run affair. I don't think Jay wants to buy another day from the track just for us to test and tune! Many tracks don't require a racing license for test and tune. I'm surprised Infineon does.

It does not matter for us Johnny(Magnus) They accept our FIA licenses and i can dig out my old school IMSA license if they are picky.

Pen

The test day cost is a bit pricey too, $525 for a whole day, afternoon session is $280, over twice as much as Thunderhill.

13 (edited by magnusracing 2010-01-18 10:19 AM)

ifb_mole wrote:

The test day cost is a bit pricey too, $525 for a whole day, afternoon session is $280, over twice as much as Thunderhill.

Holy crap... no way in hell I'll be testing anything! At least not on my dime!

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

14 (edited by Winging it 2010-01-18 11:36 AM)

Maybe Lemons should adapt the Napcar rule in order to save teams money and say no testing???? Just a thought.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

Winging it wrote:

Maybe Lemons should adapt the Napcar rule in order to save teams money and say no testing???? Just a thought.

Napcar rule? Not familiar with that rule, what is it, if I may ask?  No napping while testing? You can only nap in the car when not testing?  No napping in the car, ever?  Is there a relation between napping and the cost of testing? Can napping bring down the cost of testing? If we promise to take a nap will track management reduce testing costs?  Will napping be on the honor system, will it be policed and enforced? Will Judge Johnny be expected to nap too?  Inquiring minds want to know....

Napcar= me watching Nascar on a lazy Sunday afternoon while laying on the couch.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

FWIW, here's the link to the Infineon's page regarding testing the day before Sears Pointless:

http://www.infineonraceway.com/raceway/rental/testing/

Unless Lemons HQ somehow wrangles some changes, you're not getting on the track without a "real" racing license and the car has to conform to "SCCA Pro Racing regulations." $525 for the full day, $325 for just the afternoon half of the day.

Sounds like we'll start drinking early on Friday instead smile

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

18 (edited by "Sparky" Pete 2010-01-19 09:35 AM)

Mulry wrote:

FWIW, here's the link to the Infineon's page regarding testing the day before Sears Pointless:

Sounds like we'll start drinking early on Friday instead smile

Oh yeah! One of the west coast's most legendary, challenging and dangerous tracks, with no practice for any of the newbies.

This is smashing entertainment in the making!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

To briefly foreshadow our theme for the race, this situation absolutely requires a futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part. And we're just the guys to do it!

The Doctor has run at Infinion, (I'm have had S.C.C.A & I.M.S.A tickets)  and a few of our team pilots for this event are driver instructors.  It would be great if you could get a test day in, however, if that will not happen, we will gladly share our knowledge of this track with our fellow Lemonites on Friday.  Just stop by our pits.

Dr. No-Disturbed Brilliant Mind behind the "take no prisoners" 007 Jaguar

If nothing else it would be nice to have a chance to walk the track beforehand.

The OLD Fast Auto Race Team & Sons are planning two race classes at Sears Pointless.  These will be held on Friday evening at the track.
Racing 101 will include basic instruction, flag definition, passing, being passed, basic car control, track etiquette, and then turn by turn track description plus passing zones.  How to reduce or eliminate black flags will also be discussed.  This class is geared toward new or novice drivers.  This class will include a track map.  Length 1.5 hours and cost $20.00.
Racing 201 will provide more advanced turn by turn track description, passing zones and techniques but without flags definition, basic car control, etc.  This class is geared toward experienced drivers that have little or no time at Sears. This class will include a track map.  Length 1 hour and cost $20.00.

The instructors are certified and have many track days at Infineon.  In addition to instructing for numerous Open Track clubs, we have completed four Lemons events, finishing 8th at Thunderhill 09.  Our team has received only one driving black flag in the last two events combined.
More details will follow.
See you at the track,
Jim Nix

Well, this just made the race even more interesting. No practice for unlicensed hacks like us? The race start will be utter mayhem! Hopefully, they will work something out.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

24 (edited by dtfastbear 2010-01-20 04:00 PM)

I wouldn't count on any last minute practice time coming available.  The track sponsored test and tune days are set "in stone" pretty early on in the year and I don't believe they change very often.  I have a friend who is flying up from Dallas to test his Formula Mazda at Infineon that day.  I doubt he'd be very happy to find out that he'll be sharing the track with the likes of us!!  smile

I'm guessing, here, but I'll bet that the insurance that the track uses for its own sponsored test days has a condition for licensed drivers.  That is, drivers licensed with a nationally or internationally sanctioned racing body - SCCA, NASA, FIA, IMSA, etc.  It would probably take an act of god to relax that requirement.  The Lemons crew runs with their own insurance, I'm sure, that accounts for drivers who are licensed differently, but are kept on a much shorter leash.

So, if you REALLY want to drive Infineon before the Lemons green flag waves on March 6th, my advice is to get on board with one of the track-day outfits mentioned here.  You can use a street car.  What will be important is to just get familiar with the track layout, line, elevation changes, etc.  You can get past the sensory-overload stage pretty quickly, and you don't need a race car to do that.

Just one guys opinion.

Cheers,

Dean

PS - I offered up my "write up" of Infineon on another thread.  I'll offer it here, too.  If you've never driven Infineon and want some color commentary on it, you can use that (just PM me and I'll send it to you) and watch some in car video at www.molaps.com 

Also, Jim's class sounds like an excellent way to get some good advice smushed into your skull just before you put on your helmet.