Topic: Fuel Tank Vent

I've modified my dump cans to try to fuel faster, trouble is the rubber hose on the dump can covers the vent in the filler neck that lets air escape the tank as fuel enters.
I want to run vent hose from tank to metal ball valve via steel braided hose  and mount the valve to a location just inside car through quarter glass above fuel filler. This way I open valve, fuel the car, and then close valve.  Fuel vents are listed in rules as being exempt from
car budget, and the fuel vent hose in passenger compartment will be steel braided line which I think is compliant to rules regarding fuel hoses inside car.
Think I'll get shot down in tech? Should I finish system and send pics to Jay for a confirmation? Or should I abandon my idea all together.

Re: Fuel Tank Vent

I ran my vent hose right next to the fill pipe. It's separate from the fill pipe. Fits in the filler compartment.
Can you mount the ball valve thru a hole in the body next to the filler? Then you don't have to worry about a gas hose running thru the passenger compartment.

The only thing i see wrong with what your saying is that when you close your valve after fueling the car your tank will no longer be vented. Or are you planning on leaving you existing vent in place and just adding a second one for the fueling? Jazz makes a tip over valve that goes on the vent line on a fuel cell which has a little ball in it. When you tip over the ball closes the valve. You may consider getting one of those. They aren't very expensive and it would be one less thing to have to remember when fueling the car.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

4 (edited by Troy 2010-01-20 08:29 AM)

I don't think venting into the passenger compartment is a good idea.  I may be missing something here though.

I agree with Sergio that it's better the vent near the filler which would also be outside.

We run a fuel cell and vent out where our stock filler would be.  We have a roll over valve so it vents all the time if we are right side up.  Our vent hose is rubber run through conduit to provide the necessary additional metal barrier. 

Even if you run braided stainless, I think you still need an additional layer of protection but it's been a while since I looked at that part of the rules.

I am not sure what you are using for dump cans either.

Here's a link to a pic of one of our fill jugs along with other crappy gas cans.
(For whatever reason I just can't get pics to show up here)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/24hoursof … mp;dir=asc

Maybe you could modify your filler of your dump tank to work better with your car.

I'll have to remember to look at the 300ZX to see if I notice anything that would help you out.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

There is no room in the filler cap compartment for the vent also.
There is still a vent for the charcoal canister so the tank is still vented.
When the valve is closed there is no way fuel can enter the vehicle.
As for remembering, the valve is staring me in the face while fueling.
I think I'll try to get a ruling from one of the perps.

Phil did you put a piece of PVC in the end of your filler hose?

Just put a vacuum pump on the vent and suck the gas right from the can.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

No, no pvc on end of hose. What if I run a hose from other side of valve to outside the car but leave valve inside car?

Phil, venting to the outside just seems safer to me.

If you add a piece of PVC to your filler, it make eliminate the vent block.

It also helps open the flapper if you still have one.

Additionally, it gives you something solid that's pretty easy to hold onto.

It's way easier to add a 4-12" piece of PVC and a clamp to your filler than reinvent the tank venting system.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I cut thaqt flapper out of the filler, so I don't have to worry about getting the hose thru that tiny hole.