Topic: THE engine you need for IOE

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/1549180473.html

1949 Ford 8BA Flathead V-8 - $350 (Fort Worth )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-01-12, 11:47AM CST
Reply to: sale-b9rcz-1549180473@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vintage Flat Head V-8 removed from a 1949 Ford car.
$350.00 CASH FIRM ONLY
no shipping / no trades / local sale and pickup only!

Flathead Specifications

Late 90-125hp V8: 1949 to 1953

Major changes occurred to the mid size flathead V8 in 1948 for the new Ford trucks and in 1949 for new Ford and Mercury cars. The new engine incorporated several changes, some obvious and some not. The heads are now bolted to the blocks with 24 bolts (rather than studs and nuts) and the water outlet fittings are moved up to the front corner of the head (rather than the middle of the head). Another major change was the use of the new "Load-A-Matic" distributor, which was driven off the front of the engine, but through a shaft mounted vertically at right angle to the axis of the engine. With this new engine, Ford stopped casting the bell housing integral to the cylinder block, and provided it as a separate component which was bolted on. Internal changes include using a straight stem valve with one-piece valve guide. The belts and pulleys for 1948/49 stayed with the 5/8" wide of previous years, but changed from 1950 on to the narrow belts. In general, the latter year flatheads were commonly referred to as the "8BA" type for Ford and "8CM" for Mercury. The truck version was identified as an "8RT". Later 1952 and '53 Fords and Mercurys were known as "EAB" and "EAC" respectively. These markings are generally cast into the cylinder heads. The truck versions often had different oil pans to accommodate the different suspensions, and some truck V8's were factory "relieved". The EAB's and EAC's did not have the hardened valve seat inserts like the earlier engines.

1949 Ford 239 Cubic Inch

I would love to stab this into the miata....

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Re: THE engine you need for IOE

My dad has a 49 ford tudor that he restored.  I so want to build a Thunder Road car with vintage Stock Car type look and bring it to Lemons.  I don't know how to do it and know I would have to get off my VW kick for a while but I think that bullet nose would be awesome.  Besides that, it would be like the Caddy, instant hit at the race.  I mean anyone can bring something newer and fastish right.  Plus vintage hot rod parts and three on the tree how could you not like it, even if it sucked?

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!