Topic: Car suggestions for a Jetta

I bought a '92 Jetta for an upcoming unknown race. It is a 1.8L 4 cylinder. It runs good and has 140000 miles. I bought it for $220 and replaced a waterpump ($20) and some belts and hoses ($30). I have some money left to spend. Any suggestions?

Re: Car suggestions for a Jetta

bigger radiator our 16v was running hot but it was also 100 degrees.

I would recommend getting some spare cv axles .I bought mine from NAPA auto parts and if I didn't use them I returned them after the race .I also broke a axle and took it back to NAPA and got it warrantied  Lifetime Warranty are COOL!

I would also make yourself a grille guard we had a Jackass rearend someone under Yellow and crushed grille and everything and there went the radiator.

Jettas are good cars there was one atAMP w/500k on it that was in 2nd and first all weekend.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Not in the budget, but GET BETTER BRAKE PADS!!!

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Mick25 wrote:

What not in budget?

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Since it's a '92, it has the Digifant II injection system.  They respond well to mild (~260*) cams, dual-outlet manifolds and downpipes (if yours has the stock "toilet bowl" manifold now), and high-octane gas.  Despite what some people want you to think, you're better off with the factory airbox in place.

These cars also like better damping, so a shock upgrade should be in your future.  Rear sway bars (in addition to the factory unit) are very helpful.

Flush the cooling system very well.  If you can afford it, get a low-temp thermostat and radiator fan switch.  They do have cooling issues if run very hard in very warm temperatures for long stints.

You'll want to bring at least one spare blue sensor (look on the water neck if you don't know what a blue sensor is), spare spark plugs/caps/rotors, maybe a coil, axles as mentioned above, some spare shifter parts (especially the plastic transfer rods), and a spare AFM is a good idea.

I owned a '92 8v for 11 years, and was fortunate enough to have it at the track many times.  Great car for the $$$; if you can make it reliable and drive it well, it should be a contender! 

Best of luck!

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

6 (edited by emizzle81 2010-01-15 12:27 PM)

When I replaced the h20 pump, i threw a new thermostat in it, but i dont think it was low temp. It is an automatic, i forgot to mention that.
So far these are all great suggestions. It seems that everyone is recomending parts that they think will fail instead of parts to make it faster or handle better (minus shocks and sway bar.)
I have some clean up work to do the the engine compartment, I will take a look for the blue sensor.

fabtoys wrote:
Mick25 wrote:

What not in budget?

# 4.2: Safety Equipment DOES NOT Count Toward $500 Total: Safety equipment described in Section 3 DOES NOT count toward the $500 total. "Safety" refers to things that can save the driver--not things that can save the car.

o 4.2.1: Beside the items and processes listed in Section 3, the following are considered safety-related and therefore exempt:
                + Wheels, tires, wheel bearings, and brake components

You can upgrade brake components.  Our light Golf killed the brakes in less than one day at CMP.  Autozone brake pads are good for a nice couple of hours, then they are gone.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

get some used shocks/struts and aftermarket springs.  I picked up some H&R springs and bilsteins for out 89 for just over 200 bucks.  best money we spent.  Might also look into an 11" brake conversion from a later car or G60 corrado.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Jackasic wrote:

Might also look into an 11" brake conversion from a later car or G60 corrado.

No!  Spend your money on other things.  There are several reasons:
1.  You won't be able to run smaller than a 15" wheel.  That means higher unsprung weight and you don't need that.
2.  The factory 9.4" brakes are fantastic!  Get some moderately hard pads, rebuild the calipers, and add stainless lines.  Change to vented rotors if your car has solid ones now (make sure you order pads for a car with vented rotors).  Keep the rear drums if you have them.  This is a bulletproof and well-tested combo.  Now, if you're unfortunate enough to have ABS, that's a whole 'nother kettle of really nasty siht.
3.  Parts (calipers, pads, etc) are far cheaper for 9.4" brakes, and can be gotten anywhere in BFE at almost any time.  The vented 9.4" rotor was the same from 1980 to 1993, so almost all parts stores will have them.  There was some variation in caliper design, but they use the same pad.  We've had tremendous luck with the Axxis Metal Master/XBG pads on our Rabbit and I used the same ones on my street Jetta forever.  Great life and excellent heat resistance.

OK, I'll get off my "stock brakes rule" soapbox now.  Remember, simpler and cheaper are often better.  I know that brakes don't count toward the budget, but there are many other/better things to spend your hard-earned on.

TST, fool.

Going to have to agree to disagree on that one.  What is wrong with 15" wheels? Both wheels (under 12 lbs. each) and brakes are excluded, why not do what you can? I have this set up and it works great, much better than the 9.4 set up.  the only way you get vented rotor on a 9.4 set up is to use thinner pads (they use the same caliper). not a great compromise in my book.  brakes are one of the things you want in an enduro race.  As for cost, go price the parts side by side, they are the same, only difference is the knuckles, and those are cheap.

also get a 22mm master cylinder.

per German auto parts and advanced auto parts:

9.4"      11"

rotors:  $35 vs $29
caliper : $38 vs. $25
master cylinder: $98 vs. $98

don't see the saving for keeping 9.4s.

89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Autozone/Advance DOES stock the 9.4" pads in Camden.  We bought two sets Saturday night at the fall race.  Also, stock Autozone/Advance front pads will not last too long at CMP, especially if the right front caliper is only working partially.  The left front rotor tends to get a tad hot and will melt the pads in under two hours, then you get nice smokey stuff and flames from inside the wheel, and your lap times increase substantially...

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Mick25 wrote:

then you get nice smokey stuff and flames from inside the wheel, and your lap times increase substantially...

classic!  We opted for the Hawk 9012s from www.raceshopper.com, held up for the race.

Jackasic wrote:

Going to have to agree to disagree on that one.  What is wrong with 15" wheels? Both wheels (under 12 lbs. each) and brakes are excluded, why not do what you can? I have this set up and it works great, much better than the 9.4 set up.

Meh, you run your setup, we run ours.  Any time you move mass away from the center of rotation, you're increasing the polar moment of inertia.  It takes more to get a 15" wheel moving than a comparable mass 14" wheel.  Also takes more to stop it.  Not to mention that 15" tires are at least a couple of pounds heavier than 14"ers.  That means more wear on brakes and less hp/torque getting to the ground.

My reasoning is that if you don't have to spend the $$$, why do it?

Jackasic wrote:

the only way you get vented rotor on a 9.4 set up is to use thinner pads (they use the same caliper). not a great compromise in my book.  brakes are one of the things you want in an enduro race.  As for cost, go price the parts side by side, they are the same, only difference is the knuckles, and those are cheap.

If you already have 9.4s, changing to larger brakes is an added cost.  We use Axxis Metal Master pads on our car, and after two full races running both days, we still have ~75% of our pad left.

Jackasic wrote:

also get a 22mm master cylinder.

Why?  If you're not changing calipers or going to rear disc, there's no reason to.  The 20mm works great with standard front/drum rear.  It's actually easier to modulate than a 22mm.  I've tried both, and while the pedal is a little longer on the 20mm, it gives much better feedback.

Jackasic wrote:

per German auto parts and advanced auto parts:

GAP isn't at the track.  If you blow something up, you'll need to order it.  GAP is awesome, and I've bought a lot of stuff from them, but they're "offsite". 
I think you may have been looking up rears at Advance.  What I found at Advance while looking up Corrado brakes was Wagner part number BD125099, which they list as a solid front rotor, when obviously, it takes a vented.  Their online price is $62.99.  In fact, looking at Advance's site, I couldn't get them to accurately list any vented rotors for 9.4" applications.  I'm sure they have them, but they're not shown online.

Jackasic wrote:

don't see the saving for keeping 9.4s.

Again, outlined above.  Not just $$$, but simplicity.

Also, I'm not sure where you heard that 9.4s and 11s take the same caliper, but that's unfortunately incorrect.  Sorry.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind, just trying to get info out there.  We don't like to spend money where we don't have to, and I can't imagine anyone else does, either.

TST, fool.

Nothing is going to make it faster or handle better.  Try to fix as many things that are broken, find the things that are about to break, and anticipate what to bring as spares when it really does break.  I can tell from here that every metal fluid line (coolant, PS, brake) is on the verge of bursting.  Every joint, bearing, or bushing in the suspension needs attention, and the automatic trans. has been neglected for 18 years smile what could go wrong?

15 (edited by icemang17 2010-01-22 04:00 PM)

test-test-test.....  you reallty need to shake the car down over at least 2 test days BEFORE the Lemons weekend...it gives you a chance to see "issue" areas that need to be addressed and to setup the car the way you and your drivers like (if possible)

We were in such a time crunch building the estate before Arse Freeze we only got 1 test day in...& really needed two.....just ran out of time...  the car "should" be more sorted out this time.....until the next 26 year old part breaks :>)

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2