Topic: 2010 Schedule, no 24hr races?

I've been perusing the schedule and so far, I don't see a single true 24 event. Did I miss something? Is one of the yet to be detailed events slated to be a straight 24 hour race?

Ramon Mendoza
El Blackie Chaparral Racing

Re: 2010 Schedule, no 24hr races?

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/reno10/

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/miami10/

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Detroit was the only one I knew of last year that was a true 24 hour event.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

The first one you listed is not a 24 hour race and the second doesn't have any details.  Do you know the second will be a 24 hour?

Namco Racing #48 Miata

This is a concern for us as well.  We really (who wouldn't) prefer the 24 hour races, but with all of them being 10+5 or 8+7, or some other semirandom qty of race sessions, we're not sure what to do. 

We don't want to go race with only 10-15 other cars, and we're still skeptical of the usedcarracing thing, as they have basically 3 months to get a lot of stuff done (including rules, more information).

If anyone from the Lemons HQ is reading, please look into making some of the midwest races 24h races, since Lemons is new to the middle of the country, attendance will be lower (no shows will be higher) and making the Chicago and Omaha races 24h will bring people in from further away.

-Chip

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

rharris19 wrote:

The first one you listed is not a 24 hour race and the second doesn't have any details.  Do you know the second will be a 24 hour?

You got me on the first one, I didn't read it well.  I thought one of the Cali races was 24 hr.

As for the second, 24 HORAS DE CUBA DEL NORTE (MIAMI FL), kinda sounds like a 24 hour race.

There is another topic or 3 about 24 hour races elsewhere on this forum.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Pal Beach is a true 24 hour race in Palm Beach on New Years Eve.  Midnight to Midnight.  Race all days New Years Eve and party all night to ring in the New Year.

As far as other track running true 24 hour races.  There are safety and noise issues.  The tracks need to have appropriate lighting.  Some have noise restrictions at night and so on.

There are various factors that affect the format of each track.

Chumps first race at Portland was a true 24 hour race.  They won't get to do it again to to whinny neighbors.

I look forward to the challenge of a true 24 hour race. 

However a Saturday Night wrench-a-thon helps get a lot of cars back in action.  Plus a break to eat, drink, sleep and be merry.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

For me part of the charm of the Arsefreeze has always been buttoning your car up, going into Chico and getting twisted drunk, then trying to stagger into the paddock at 7am.
Then again Reno was great for that too (substitute "Riviera" for "Chico").

I'm not sure I'd feel super safe racing at night unless either
A: the track had fantastic lighting
B: I'm running some baja-style light racks (http://tinyurl.com/yh8pz4t
)

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

After running 2 days races in the past with Lemons, I would like to try a couple 24 hour races, just to have something different.  We will be running the 24 hour race in dallas for chumpcar in june, so we are looking forward to that.  After that we are trying to decide on going to Lousianna with Lemons or Harris Hill in San Marcos, TX with Chump Car.  The thing that attracts me to the Chunp Car race is that the track is tight with a good amount of turns and is two seperate 7 hour races.  Again, something new.   

Someone needs to run at Texas World Speedway!  Grrr.........I'm sure it is too fast of a track though.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Westyside wrote:

I'm not sure I'd feel super safe racing at night unless either
A: the track had fantastic lighting
B: I'm running some baja-style light racks (http://tinyurl.com/yh8pz4t)

then definitely don't go to a 24-hour at Nelson Ledges.  2 miles through the Ohio woods.

but honestly, it's not that bad if you have decent lights and you've learned the track.**  there is enough traffic that it is pretty easy to see where you're going, and b/c everyone slows down, it becomes easier to pass.  i felt like i was turning my best laps at night based on the number of passes i was making, but it just turned out that i slowed down a little less than most people did.

even though our car crapped out at 11:30pm, we still had a great time.  i can't wait to do another 24-hour.

**Note:  it IS that bad when it's the Friday night practice session, you're on the track for the first time, people are still trying to get their lights set up correctly, and it's raining.  that was a little puckery at times.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Mike nailed it. Nelson was like driving blindfolded until we went to Summit for those big offroad lights. Plus, they looked cool.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Buzz Killington wrote:

**Note:  it IS that bad when it's the Friday night practice session, you're on the track for the first time, people are still trying to get their lights set up correctly, and it's raining.  that was a little puckery at times.

yeah my first time on-track at nelson was at night and i figured out the lines and apexes based a lot on the reflectors.  then i had to relearn the track to some extent in the race now that i could see more of the track in daylight

Yep, Friday night was hairy.  We had our outside mirrors totally wrong which made rear visability non-existant.  Between the dark, the rain, the fog, and 100 cars all trying to aim their lights and learn the track, it was a bit scary.  Two of our drivers had never been to NL and one had no track experience at all before Friday practice. 

Nelson is DARK at night!

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

none of us had been to NL before that.  we all had track experience(that was my 5th Lemons race), but even the best drivers on our team were a little nervous out there at first.   i spent my first three Friday night laps just following the car in front of me.  I'd watched dozens of NL Youtube videos and knew the track layout pretty well in my head, but being out there in that situation was an entirely different feeling.

that said, it made getting out there on Saturday morning a breeze!

12+-time loser

I loved Nelson Ledges at all times of day. at Night, it was spooky but we quickly learned FORWARD visibility wasn't half as important as peripheral lighting(we had 2 pairs of 55W H3 lights pointed outward and forward, so there was a big dark spot in the middle of where the car was driving) if you could see the sides of the track, it was cake to setup for corners, and since Tail lights are mandatory now it's not a big deal to avoid getting into another car.  I honestly wish(and so do many others) to be there for another 24 this year...maybe less late in the year so not having an RV doesn't penalize you.

16 (edited by bongle 2010-01-24 11:26 AM)

I'm probably the opposite of most Lemons people: I've only done the 24hr races, and I can say that I'm really looking forward to the 2x7 format at the ChumpCar shannonville race.  It seems you miss so much of the race because there's always something that needs doing: sleeping, picture-taking, food buying and preparing, gas-runs, parts-runs.  I'd guess a race with a break in between facilitates running into town without missing your team racing, but I don't know.  You also get to recharge your batteries (figuratively and literally) during the nighttime break.  Both races our picture and video collections are very biased towards the start of the race because we run down the batteries in our cameras and never have time to recharge them.

There's a lot that is good about a 24hr race, but there are downsides too: it just seems that you're always rushing to get somewhere, there's no time to sit down and enjoy it.

Also, there's obviously more time to party with the track cold on Saturday night.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

17 (edited by sawinatthewheel 2010-01-24 12:02 PM)

Besides the obvious two winners, the best aspect of two 7 hour races is if you break during Saturday's race and fix the car overnight, you start Sunday's race even with the field.  Chump inverts the grid for Sunday.  At the Sears Chump race, the #51 BMW did just that. They broke, packed up and were gone before Saturday's race was over. I believe they finished up in the field(such as it was) Sunday.

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

bongle wrote:

There's a lot that is good about a 24hr race, but there are downsides too: it just seems that you're always rushing to get somewhere, there's no time to sit down and enjoy it.

Also, there's obviously more time to party with the track cold on Saturday night.

this is true, which is one of the reasons i really enjoy running at CMP.  great facilities and most people camp at the track (although i wonder how many will be doing so in February), so it makes for a lot of opportunities to get to know people.

12+-time loser