Topic: Need a tip of getting an engine to fire

Trying to start a donor motor for the Craptation, it sits in a Grand Am that used to run 19 months ago but hasn't been run in that time.  Yesterday I tred to jump it and fire it up with no luck.  The belts are moving, starter is working, but no dice.  All the wiring looks to be in order and the car appears to be unmolested in that time frame.  Does anyone have any secret to testing it or getting it started?  If it was carberated I would have sprayed in starter fluid.  It was only 20 degrees, dunno if that matters. 

If we can get the car started and secure it, then there's a fair chance the Craptation will avoid the crusher...for now.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

2 (edited by rharris19 2010-01-11 06:35 AM)

Re: Need a tip of getting an engine to fire

You need to test to see what is causing it not to start.  Pull a plug and ground it on the valve cover with the plug wire still attached, while a freind turns the car over to see if it is sparking.  If not, then check the coil pack/distributor and associated wiring.

If works, then spray some starter fluid in the throttle body and see if that lets is start.  If that is the case, then it may be your fuel pump or injectors.

Last you need to check the mechanical timing if everything else checks out fine. 

I had something like this happen to me a while back and it turned out top be squirrels had gotten into my engine bay and chewed up a bunch of wires.  I was very happy that day.  Hope it goes well for you.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

On top of all that, don't rule out something simple like bad gas. If the gas wasn't treated with StaBil or something like that when the car went to sit, I wouldn't trust it. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Just cause it's not carbed, doesn't mean that you can't spray starter fluid. 

19months - 95% sure it's the gas.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

5 (edited by Jer 2010-01-11 07:36 AM)

I wouldn't know where to spray starter fluid LOL.

Not only has the car not been run in 19 months, it was run briefly 19 months ago but the car sat an entire year before that, so the gas is at least 31 months old.  Bad gas makes sense.  siphon out, replace I guess.  But the daunting task is removing the car from where it was illegally abandoned.  I can't really just pull in there with the trailer and load it up.  I was hoping to drive it out across the street and then bring the trailer down under cover of darkness. {cue Mission Impossible theme}.  Guess I'll have to get a tow rope and simply tow it out!

If the judges ask how much the engine cost, I suppose the answer will be "nothing---it was kinda stolen".

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Be careful with the starter fluid... :-D

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/ … 1391-1.flv

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

7 (edited by rharris19 2010-01-11 11:23 AM)

Less learned on moderation.  A concept lost on this guy when trying to use it to mount a tire.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI38RZ2f … re=related

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Using "a lot" of starter fluid is bad.  Mmmmmkay?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Try to "fog" it in while someone else cranks....it's tempting to shoot a puddle in the intake then run around to the key, but the results can be badly spectacular....and keep body parts away from the throttle body...Up here carb'd cars don't like to start at -30 or -40, so we use ether a lot...it can give you a nasty burn even at low temps, and it must be a lot more volatile when it's warmer...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

rharris19 wrote:

Less learned on moderation.  A concept lost on this guy when trying to use it to mount a tire.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI38RZ2f … re=related

That's a great way to set the bead on big rig tires...  Those things can be a bitch.  But yea, moderation!

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

I strongly recommend using "Gumout carb cleaner" as a spray starting fluid.  It is designed to be sprayed into a running carb and clean things.  It has similar octane to gasoline, and the propellant is propane.  Way safer than old fashioned explosive starting fluid.  An engine can be run all day (or at least until the can is empty) by pulsing gumout into the intake.

This is your mission, should you choose to accept it.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Could be the injectors are suck from old gas. I had to clean the injectors twice to get our SHO to run on all cylinders. The car sat for 7 years. I put fresh gas in before trying to start it.

Check the battery cables for corrosion, a bad ground or power feed to a fuse box can keep the computer from working. Also for real cold temps, I used to heat up the spark plugs on the gas stove to start my old rotary RX2. A propane torch might work OK in place away from a stove. Just warm up 3 plugs, the easiest to reach. New plugs couldn't hurt either.

Take a small vacuum hose off the intake and spray carb cleaner thru the port. Carb cleaner is more like gasoline than starting fluid. If you run a long hose from the port to inside the car you can drive it on carb cleaner. I've done it. Put the straw hose into the rubber hose, maybe a rag or two around them to keep it from leaking onto you. Make sure you have a full can because you will be spraying it 2 seconds on 1 second off to make it roll. It's a little tricky as to how much to spray, but after a few tries you should be able to keep it running.

Thanks for all the advice!  We need to get this running.  And we need to put it in the Craptation!!!

19 months, it should fire. I started an old truck on 15 year old gas and it ran seemingly fine. The engine needs just a few things to run. Fuel, Air, Spark, and Compression. The trick is in making all these happen at the right time!

With the aid of starter fluid and 5 gallons of premium, the car fired up and ran like a champ.  Thanks again for the help.