Topic: Wisconsin team planning to enter Chicago race in an Audi 200

Hello folks, we're a team of 4 BABE Rally veterans that just came into a free (once written-off and heavily abused) Audi 200 quattro (10v turbo). Given this development, we're tentatively planning to enter the Chicago event in October. This will be my first wheel-to-wheel racing experience (though I hope to do a few HPDE's before October rolls around), and I'm wondering what the heck I should expect! We did hang out a bit at the Baton Rouge event at the end of BABE '09, which was fun - I guess the hard part is figuring out how to make our overweight, beat-up, unreliable Audi last a full race distance! And we still haven't even figured out a theme, though we do have a few concepts in the works.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. I want to start stripping the car next week and be well-prepared to do this!

~Desmond

'90 Audi 200 Quattro (Lemons build)

Re: Wisconsin team planning to enter Chicago race in an Audi 200

I hope this is not (but suspect it is) the cursed Audi that has tried to make BABE 2x only to prove what a steaming heap of shite it really is before making the starting line each time.

Welcome aboard Des.  You'll find BABE flavored insanity crosses over well.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Re: Wisconsin team planning to enter Chicago race in an Audi 200

Jim, it is the same flaming pile. Luckily, with Lemons we have the opportunity to remove 75% of the car's wiring and simplify a lot of systems; we're hoping it can hold up. We're also not planning to push our luck with performance - most of our $500 is going to be spent on cooling system parts, maybe suspension bushings if we can sneak them. Weight reduction should also help with drivetrain longevity - we are VERY worried about breaking axles and blowing up the $$$-tastic KKK turbo.

However, with how Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde this car has been to us in the past, there's a decent chance it'll never have a single problem for the entire race distance and then subsequently explode in the pits, killing our entire team. I seriously wouldn't be surprised.

~Desmond

'90 Audi 200 Quattro (Lemons build)