Topic: Sears Pointless Test/Training Info

Here is a solution to the Sears Pointless test day.
I talked with David Ray from Hooked On Driving.  He has an event scheduled for March 4th at Sears and will welcome Lemons drivers.  See the site below.
http://www.hookedondriving.com/index.cfm
This is less cost than the Friday test day AND you get great coaches (like me).  NO licence required.  You can use your Lemons car (a passenger seat will be needed for your coach) or any other suitable auto.  This is an Open Track format, NOT racing.  Passing in passing zones only.  Learn the track and get a jump on the competition.  Check out the site.  Disclaimer: I do coach for HOD but receive no monetary benefit.

ALSO, with no connection to HOD, the OLD Fast Auto Race Team & Sons Classroom instruction for Lemons Racers on Friday evening
The OLD Fast Auto Race Team & Sons are planning two race classes at Sears Pointless.  These will be held on Friday evening at the track.

Racing 101 will include basic instruction, flag definition, passing, being passed, basic car control, track etiquette, and then turn by turn track description plus passing zones.  How to reduce or eliminate black flags will also be discussed.  This class is geared toward new or novice drivers.  This class will include a track map.  Length 1.5 hours and cost $20.00.

Racing 201 will provide more advanced turn by turn track description, passing zones and techniques but without flags definition, basic car control, etc.  This class is geared toward experienced drivers that have little or no time at Sears. This class will include a track map.  Length 1 hour and cost $20.00.

The instructors are certified and have many track days at Infineon.  In addition to instructing for numerous Open Track clubs, we have completed four Lemons events, finishing 8th at Thunderhill 09.  Our team has received only one driving black flag in the last two events combined.
More details will follow.
See you at the track,
Jim Nix

Re: Sears Pointless Test/Training Info

I'm also a HOD coach and will be there to help out.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Hopefully areas where you can pass my sorry butt will be pointed out. smile

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

trekkor wrote:

I'm also a HOD coach and will be there to help out.

KT

Since the official test day is for race licensed drivers only and Lemons doesn't count...I think 1/2 our team will use this as our test day....  sounds like 201 is right for us...since the other 1/2 of the team races Infineon multiple times per year and doesn't need the practice!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

OK all I just talked with Dave Ray and he welcomes all to call him at 925-552-8112 and discuss your car and and drivers experience.  Here's how it works:

He has 4 run groups based primarily on driver experience and then car performance.  Groups A and B is where 90% of the Lemons cars would go.  Very experienced drivers AT Infineon in the fastest of the Lemons cars, could go into "C" - like the V8  Volvo with Dean driving.  Driver changes can be accommodated but each session gets faster and faster, so that can be difficult.  Also they will run the full road course - which Jay will probably NOT run that configuration for the Lemons.

IF you have never run Infineon the structure  of HOD is great.  Lead / Follow, some chalk talks, instruction and gradual increase in speed. By the end of day even Group A is going plenty fast and you'll be much more comfortable on the track - even if Jay runs a different (safer) configuration for the actual race.

Now the cars; experienced drivers in a track worthy car DO NOT need an instructors seat, so call Dave and talk to him about that NOW if you want to run your car with out an additional seat for an instructor Also you may have to remove some of the Lemons "props".  Now Dave has run Lemons and  understands the whole "mind set" so don't worry about that.  He wants to make sure the DRIVER knows how to drive and the car is fast enough so the driver isn't running and waiving everyone by. 

He also mentioned what Lemons teams can do if you have 2 or more "similar" drivers wanting to enter HOD, is bring a street car AND the Lemons car and run both in, the HOD event.  Trust me at Infineon, seat time in ANY CAR and with good instruction, is better than just being thown onto the track with no instruction and no seat time in the Lemons car.  Infineon can be and IS very intimidating, so consider HOD even in a street car.  Get the instruction and track time, it will be worth it. 

I would almost call it foolish if you think you can jump into a Lemons car with 100+ cars on the track, with little to no racing experience and little  or no track time and NO proper instruction and coaching and expect you'll be "ok" and "comfortable" at Infineon.  Do all your fellow competitors the favor of getting the instruction and track time at Infineon before jumping "cold turkey" into the race.

Trying to get a better idea of cost to get some Infineon track practice at this event. A team/car must pay the $345 registration and $20 per person for 101 or 201?

We are automatically placed in A or B based on car & driver prep/experience?

Is it going to be unrealistic/impossible to get 4-5 members on a team some track time in the same Lemons car?

8 time Lemons loser!
Go team Faster Farms! [ http://fasterfarms.blogspot.com ]

In the HOD program if you have 4-5 drivers in one car you will only get one session, I would recommend that a couple drivers take the HOD program with the Lemons car  and a street car with 2 drivers per car. The structure of the HOD program with instructors is worth it

Trying to get a better idea of cost to get some Infineon track practice at this event. A team/car must pay the $345 registration and $20 per person for 101 or 201?

The Racing 101 and 201 are NOT related to HOD.  The classes are presented as part of the Lemons on Friday March 5th, after the Tech inspection.  That class is presented by a Lemons race team.  If you have questions about the Racing 101 and 201, PM me.
Jim