Topic: Your Bucket List Car

Not your fantasy car, but the car you DO or WILL outright own (not just be making payments on) before you go.

To be reasonable, let's cap it at a maximum of TWO cars.

Re: Your Bucket List Car

Tata Nano production began in 2008, which means in sixteen years the early cars will become eligible for import to the US. So far the only fuel-injected vehicle I've owned has been a '77 VW Bug, but I'd be willing to try it again with one of these.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/newproductdevelopmentlifecycleofnano-13152543248625-phpapp01-110905152908-phpapp01/95/new-product-development-life-cycle-of-tata-nano-10-728.jpg?cb=1315236647

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

Tata Nano production began in 2008, which means in sixteen years the early cars will become eligible for import to the US. So far the only fuel-injected vehicle I've owned has been a '77 VW Bug, but I'd be willing to try it again with one of these.

What is the wheelbase?

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

4 (edited by Sonic 2017-06-18 05:54 PM)

Aston Martin DB9. Once my BMW is sold I will be actively shopping for a manual trans volante in not black or gray. They are quite rare.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

CowDriver wrote:
mharrell wrote:

Tata Nano...

What is the wheelbase?

It's a more than ample 87.8", so maybe I should be thinking more along the lines of getting two.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
CowDriver wrote:
mharrell wrote:

Tata Nano...

What is the wheelbase?

It's a more than ample 87.8", so maybe I should be thinking more along the lines of getting two.

One to tow the other, like with your Saabs?  smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

A 1968 Javelin, I suppose. That was my first car. Burgundy, 232 straight-six, automatic.

My car aspirations lean more towards finding a place in the country and becoming a gentleman Opel rancher.

I would say my next purchase would be an E39 M5 to daily.  They are priced reasonably and unlike most of my piles is likely to maintain some value.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I keep my eye open for a Volvo 1800.

10 (edited by billybobster 2017-06-19 01:52 PM)

cheseroo wrote:

I would say my next purchase would be an E39 M5 to daily.  They are priced reasonably and unlike most of my piles is likely to maintain some value.

The E39 M5 is definitely in my Aspirational Garage (it's a large garage). Such a beautiful car. I was driving in SF and saw one with a "NTBNGLD" plate. Laughed out loud.

Also in the Bucket List Garage - Alfa Giulietta Sprint. What a beauty.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

One of these days I hope to get a '69 AMC AMX, preferably matador red or forest green, with the 390, four speed, and the the optional Go Package.
https://cdn1.mecum.com/auctions/fl0116/fl0116-230283/images/fl0116-230283_1.jpg

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Lotus Turbo Esprit and/or Bentley Turbo R.

When you have figured out how to make an S-class Lemon, and aren't afraid of Jaguars anymore, your fear threshold gets WAY up there...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

Lotus Turbo Esprit and/or Bentley Turbo R.

When you have figured out how to make an S-class Lemon, and aren't afraid of Jaguars anymore, your fear threshold gets WAY up there...

Both of those are becoming quite attainable pricewise.  Personally, I'd prefer the V8 Esprit over the turbo.  Do the later Bentley/RR cars still have all the fun high pressure hydraulics to them?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

There's just something about the V8 that bugs me; it's probably that the engine was detuned around 200 hp from its comfortable, street able potential just to save the gearbox from the torques.  The four has enough punch for me.

Prices on the Esprit are trending upward, hope I get there before everyone figures out that their handling makes every Porsche ever made (ok, maybe not the 904,917,962) feel clumsy by comparison, and they are built from mass-produced bits of other cars.

The last Turbo R I looked at had the hydraulic craziness, but I think that finally went away in the Arnage era?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I would have to say the Lancia Stratos.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

1987 911 Turbo.  I've been dreaming about one since I was in high school.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

chadadams59 wrote:

Yeah, me too.  I had the opportunity to buy a very clean 1 owner 87 930 Targa a few years ago before the big VW market exploded.  One of my teammates is a car wholesaler and he told me about it.  He handed me the keys and I drove it around for a day.  It had about 130k on the original motor so I figured it would need a top end redone at some point but I wasn't super concerned about doing that myself.  I handed the keys back and said that I'd probably regret the decision and thanks but no thanks.  Why?  I would have needed to drive it as a DD and it was kinda crappy around town.  It was a 4 speed.  At every stoplight I was going to get the doors blown off by every 16yr old in mom's new Camry.  the expectation is that a 930 is FAAASSSTTT.  And that's kinda the problem.  Supercars don't remain super indefinitely.  For example my above choice of an E39 M5 weighs just a bit more, has 110 more HP and is generally faster with more comfort.  It's just newer and has more advanced technology.  Yes, the 930 is cooler though.  Oh, that turbo targa I passed on?  The good guy price to me was $16k.

Gone bye-bye

Ouch.  $16K.  Killing me.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

Adobe.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

C7 Grand Sport or whatever the next super Camero  is. (Z28?)

It'll be a game time decision.

Some sort of cool wagon (1800ES, Catalina, Impala, Galaxie, Fairlane...)

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

-SDR- wrote:

Adobe.

Bill

Oh. Well done, sir. Well done.

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

22 (edited by yodogg 2017-06-21 01:58 PM)

cheseroo wrote:
chadadams59 wrote:

Yeah, me too.  I had the opportunity to buy a very clean 1 owner 87 930 Targa a few years ago before the big VW market exploded.  One of my teammates is a car wholesaler and he told me about it.  He handed me the keys and I drove it around for a day.  It had about 130k on the original motor so I figured it would need a top end redone at some point but I wasn't super concerned about doing that myself.  I handed the keys back and said that I'd probably regret the decision and thanks but no thanks.  Why?  I would have needed to drive it as a DD and it was kinda crappy around town.  It was a 4 speed.  At every stoplight I was going to get the doors blown off by every 16yr old in mom's new Camry.  the expectation is that a 930 is FAAASSSTTT.  And that's kinda the problem.  Supercars don't remain super indefinitely.  For example my above choice of an E39 M5 weighs just a bit more, has 110 more HP and is generally faster with more comfort.  It's just newer and has more advanced technology.  Yes, the 930 is cooler though.  Oh, that turbo targa I passed on?  The good guy price to me was $16k.

Not far off for me either. Last November I found my dream car (after 18mos of looking/stalking/obsessing): a hotrodded narrow body 911. As it turns out, the Porsche I have been dreaming about since Farrah Fawcett posters were a thing is a 1976 911S with a 1977 3.0L pre-intercooler turbo drivetrain swap performed in the early 90s. Yes, that means it came with the no-1st-gear 4-speed, and yes, it is (was) a bit pedestrian off the line, but -at 2450 lbs- when the turbo finally(!) kicks in, the rear end squats down, the horizon out in front of the windshield dips, and "Oh, shit! I need to shift! And where did all those other cars go?" Then you shift and do the whole thing over again in 2nd gear...by then you realize you are doing 70 in a 40, let off the gas and the turbo goes back to sleep. Waiting till next time...

When I decided to look for my bucket list 911 in earnest, I quickly realized that I was NOT looking for a stock un-molested 911 or even 930. I am way too much of a tinkerer (those of you that have had an up close look at the '73 Super! Beetle we race in Lemons know exactly what I mean). My dream car is, fittingly enough, a Porsche hotrod project, and will likely always be, in some way or another, a project. Currently, I have the engine out and it is being rebuilt (I don't trust myself to do anything with more than 4 cylinders) and I figured out that upgrading the cams and swapping to a sports exhaust would add about 60hp and let the turbo kick-in at 2000 rpm rather than 3500. So now I realize I want to add a brake booster (it already has the big turbo calipers swapped in up front), and even though i don't want to add an intercooler, I absolutely need to add a remote oil-cooler. And so on and so on...

I apologize if I've rambled on about the build, but for me, that is part of what makes this my bucket list car. If I never end up buying another "cool" car, I will regret nothing.

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

I kind of already own it, I just need the money and the spare time to make it even greater than it is.

2008 G8 GT with a GM factory hot cam LS3 swapped in after I blew up the motor it came with. It's currently got a cracked radiator neck and is sidelined as a "backup" car until I get around to swapping in the all-aluminum radiator I ordered. Medium-term plans involve Chevy SS brakes and aftermarket suspension upgrades all the way around, an aftermarket Bluetooth module to replace the Onstar box, and getting the 6L80E tuned better than it is currently. Long term plans include some tasteful body modifications and probably a blower. As "cool" as a manual transmission swap would be, I think I'll leave the slushbox rather than worry about burning up clutches with ludicrous amounts of torque. Might get a high-end rebuild from Circle D when the times comes.

I don't really have a "bucket list car" anymore. Got a few things I would like to have/do that would be pretty cool. Top on the list right now would be an engine-swapped (1UZ? 3800?) Dodge Magnum drift car and something weird imported from Japan, like a Mitsubishi Delica 4x4 or a Toyota Crown Van.

First gen MR2 supercharged with no rust.