Topic: Gas Mileage

The  Usual Suspects  are working on race logistics and need some input on mileage figures during a race    the car is an 2nd gen MX6 with a V-6   man.  trans    we are guessing 2500 Lbs w/fuel and driver etc.    ( thats prolly a lil high )      any teams that have run something comparable and have mileage data  ???    trying to figure out how much gas to bring if we decide not to buy it at the track ( kinda pricey)  and also budget implications     thanks !!

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

Re: Gas Mileage

are you bringing it to CMP?  if so, you can buy gas at a station right outside the track gate; it's not particularly expensive.  The track sells race gas, which is definitely pricey.

I think our supercharged MR2 (~160hp, ~1900lbs) was getting about 10-11 mpg at Nelson Ledges.  We were putting in about 10 gallons every two hours, with maybe 60 laps (120 miles) during a stint.  Not the same vehicle, but you might do a little better than that without forced induction.

However, CMP has more braking/acceleration zones than NL, so 12-14mpg, maybe?  You'll probably want at least 10 gallons for refueling (e.g., two 5-gal jugs) and at least one (preferably two or three) as a backup.

BTW, good choice of vehicle.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

We are shooting for American Irony as our first race  ( if we get accepted )

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

We get around 10-12mpg in the SHO. Every 2 to 2.5 hours we add 12 gallons.

I know powerwise there may be no comparison, but our mustang 2.3 has averaged 5 gallons per hour of race time, this has been consistent over four races.
I am sure many of you have been pointed on by our fuel sipper.

Stu3

We actually get pretty decent fuel milage (about 6-7 gph) with the Peugeot which should theoretically give us long stints with our 19 gallon gas tank. However at the two races we've ran so far we've experienced alternator failures requiring us to pit once an hour for a battery change. Thankfully I think we've finally found the problem, a bad part external to the alternator called an "exciter" which tells the alternator to charge or not so I'm hoping we'll see longer stints at Sears Pointless.

We use 8-10 gallons an hour.  We usually put in 25 gallons every 2-2.5 hours.  Of course this is with a 4000 pound car with driver and a 440 Mopar motor.  Our 360 didn't get much better mileage in the last race.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

The 928 "estate" was getting around 10 gallons per hour...which I think is around 7-8mpg....with the stock 23 gallon tank we pit every 2 hours.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

9 (edited by Winging it 2010-01-30 09:17 PM)

Solracer wrote:

We actually get pretty decent fuel milage (about 6-7 gph) with the Peugeot which should theoretically give us long stints with our 19 gallon gas tank. However at the two races we've ran so far we've experienced alternator failures requiring us to pit once an hour for a battery change. Thankfully I think we've finally found the problem, a bad part external to the alternator called an "exciter" which tells the alternator to charge or not so I'm hoping we'll see longer stints at Sears Pointless.

Most alternator shops can turn a stock internally regulated alternator into a 1 wire alternator for around $20.
We were putting about 8 gallons in our BMW with a ford 302 and 4bbl every hour. We also are pulling a giant wing though.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria