Topic: On board Fire Suppression

I am going to be an early adopter of  on board fire suppression.  I have already ordered a two nozzle system. I am asking about nozzle placement. where should they be I can handle the pluming but don't know where these nozzles should be placed. Logic would have one in the engine compartment and one in the drivers compartment. I don't want to put it in and find out it is not logical. Advice is much appreciated.

2 (edited by RobL 2018-01-09 08:54 AM)

Re: On board Fire Suppression

We run the stock fuel tank in the stock location and run stock lines to the stock engine.  In other words, we didn't touch our fuel system at all.  If we did, our placement would be different because it would be more likely that our work failed.

That said, we have ours in the engine bay on the fire wall pointed along the fuel rail.  The one in the passenger compartment is on the transmission tunnel pointing towards the firewall in the footwell.  Those are the two most likely places that would need fire protection.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Opinions vary on this.  The rub is you have to choose between more coverage or more duration.  More nozzles = more coverage = less duration.  Less nozzles = less coverage = longer duration.

On our car, we went with two nozzles under the hood (pointed at the fuel rail) and two nozzles in the cabin (pointed at the driver's waist/foot area).  YMMV.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I generally point them at important things that either are likely to catch fire or that I'd like to keep fire away from.  In the engine compartment, fuel is generally the thing that ignites so I point a nozzle at that.  In the driver's compartment, you have to remember that fire burns up so I aim the nozzle at my nuts instead of my head.  If the car has a fuel cell, I usually point a nozzle at that too.  The more nozzles, the faster the retardant depletes so be judicious how many you use.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Consideration is also merited for what fire suppressant you are using. AIFF systems coat with a slimy mixture of water & stuff whereas gas systems use a heavier-than-air dispersant but don't coat.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The system you buy will have instructions that provide guidance on how many nozzles to use, and where to position them.

We have the SPA Technique, 4 liter, AFFF system - installed it in 2014 when we did a few races in the 'other' series. The manual gives plenty of suggestions on how to install the system for various flavors of race cars. Excerpt from the manual:

For saloon /closed cars a minimum of 3 nozzles must be fitted (again depending on the system) within the cockpit area. Nozzles should be fitted either to the top of the roll bar main hoop (door B pillar) pointing inwards and downwards towards the foot of the diagonally opposite front roll bar hoop base (door A post) or either under the dashboard aiming at the drivers midriff. These are only guide lines for competitors using
SPA DESIGN fire suppression systems. IF IN DOUBT, ASK!!!

As others have said, given a finite volume of suppression material, this is a balancing act between coverage and duration.

We have 1 nozzle in the engine compartment, pointed at our fuel injection hardware and lines.

The other 2 nozzles are in the cockpit, 1 on the center of the header bar, pointed slightly down at the driver's head/neck (your face shield is closed, right?) and the other is on the center of the dash bar, pointed at the driver's mid section.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

Also even if you do install a fire system don't remove or not install a hand held unit.  They don't weigh much and you never know but it could help in the event of a fire if used by the driver as or after he exits the vehicle.

jimbbski wrote:

Also even if you do install a fire system don't remove or not install a hand held unit.  They don't weigh much and you never know but it could help in the event of a fire if used by the driver as or after he exits the vehicle.

We have a hand-held installed as well. Agree, more is better.

As more and more teams install these systems to be compliant with the 2019 rules, there are bound to be incidents where the systems are set off accidentally, or or triggered intentionally for 'small' incidents. If the system becomes empty during the weekend (for whatever reason) and the car is still track-worthy, what happens then - will they allow you back on track? The certified systems are not user-rechargeable, so refilling at the track is not an option. Do you get by with the hand-held unit for the rest of the weekend? Do you need to bring a spare bottle?

We Audi Be Faster

I seem to recall someone in Chump setting theirs off and not being allowed to rejoin until it was operational again.  I would imagine Lemons may want the same.  I also have a handheld still mounted in the car and John questioned me on that last year.  I think he was just gathering info. I've set mine off accidentally but fortunately after the races while packing up the car.  I have two cars with suppression systems and don't run 2 cars that often anymore so I usually have a spare.  I did inquire about a spare AFFF bottle at the time I bought them (2012/2013?) and at that time they said it would cost about the same as the whole system but haven't asked since.  Unrelated but perhaps helpful is that I've got one of those big long "Remove Before Flight" ribbons attached to the safety pin to remind me it needs to come out at racetime.  It was easy to forget before that.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

10 (edited by VKZ24 2018-01-09 01:07 PM)

cheseroo wrote:

Unrelated but perhaps helpful is that I've got one of those big long "Remove Before Flight" ribbons attached to the safety pin to remind me it needs to come out at racetime.  It was easy to forget before that.

Even though our system came with one of those, we still occasionally forgot.  Now it's something we do (pulling the pin) as soon as we unload the car.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

RSB wrote:

If the system becomes empty during the weekend (for whatever reason) and the car is still track-worthy, what happens then - will they allow you back on track?

After these systems becomes mandatory I can't imagine HQ letting a car onto track with an empty one. Otherwise why require the systems at all? Until they become mandatory, on the other hand, why not let a car run with it empty, as long as the current rules are met by the presence of an adequate portable extinguisher.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I agree, once mandatory, they need to be filled to be on track. I wasn't suggesting otherwise, but I'm just thinking that this is going to cause some angst for someone going forward - its bound to happen that someone will accidentally dump their system during Friday practice and be done for the weekend. That would SUCK. We have completed 8 races with our system and haven't had an issue, but maybe I just jinxed us.

A spare bottle is the logical solution, but that just adds more expense for the bottle, and the re-certification every 2 years. Unfortunately, the refilling dealers are few and far between (and not open on weekends).

We Audi Be Faster

I think the answer to the spent bottle issue is the same as handled by teams that kind of share logistics (like I always bring the engine hoist so my partner teams do not have to...another brings the welder).  If teams that have that relationship agree to have a spare bottle between them, it absolutely behooves them to get the same system.

OnkelUdo wrote:

I think the answer to the spent bottle issue is the same as handled by teams that kind of share logistics (like I always bring the engine hoist so my partner teams do not have to...another brings the welder).  If teams that have that relationship agree to have a spare bottle between them, it absolutely behooves them to get the same system.

yikes

You know, I think everybody should look into the SPA Firesense AFFF system (with a 4 L bottle). It really is the best system, bar none. Trust me, I asked a professional and he agrees. Especially for cars that race in Texas. It works especially well against Texas car fires.

RSB wrote:
jimbbski wrote:

We have a hand-held installed as well. Agree, more is better.

As more and more teams install these systems to be compliant with the 2019 rules, there are bound to be incidents where the systems are set off accidentally, or or triggered intentionally for 'small' incidents. If the system becomes empty during the weekend (for whatever reason) and the car is still track-worthy, what happens then - will they allow you back on track? The certified systems are not user-rechargeable, so refilling at the track is not an option. Do you get by with the hand-held unit for the rest of the weekend? Do you need to bring a spare bottle?

So I have purchase the 2.3L fire charger system that looks like it is field renewable. Is this compliant?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Firecharger-2- … 2749.l2649

16 (edited by n0m4d 2018-01-10 09:46 AM)

So I have purchase the 2.3L fire charger system that looks like it is field renewable. Is this compliant?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Firecharger-2- … 2749.l2649

It says right in the eBay description: "Firecharger systems are not SFI/FIA compliant. Please check with your sanctioning body on their on board system requirements."

We were waiting to buy a system to see if the rules would allow a refillable option, as of now they don't.  It's kinda of unfortunate because I'd hate to be out of a race because we set the system off and cannot get it refilled.  It also could potentially plant a seed of doubt when deciding to use the system.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

17 (edited by Mulry 2018-01-10 01:32 PM)

We've had a fire suppression system in our car for several years now, probably 8-12 races at this point, I'd guess. We've never had it discharged accidentally during a race weekend. It's not that they're hard to discharge -- just pretty difficult to do so accidentally. The more inexpensive systems use a pull cable to initiate system discharge, and you're not going to pull that by accident.

So while I agree that it would suck to lose a race weekend to an accidental discharge of a fire system, I expect this will be an exceedingly rare situation in practice.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

We've had a fire suppression system in our car for several years now, probably 8-12 races at this point, I'd guess. We've never had it discharged accidentally during a race weekend. It's not that they're hard to discharge -- just pretty difficult to do so accidentally. The more inexpensive systems use a pull cable to initiate system discharge, and you're not going to pull that by accident.

So while I agree that it would suck to lose a race weekend to an accidental discharge of a fire system, I expect this will be an exceedingly rare situation in practice.

I wasn't referring to an accidental discharge.... this is Lemons, we could have a legit fire that wouldn't necessarily knock us out for the weekend.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

We've had one accidental discharge, and it was while trying to put the pin back in (after a race, thankfully). The handle on our system has a hole in both the stationary part of the handle and the moving part, but if you try to line up the two holes it cracks the bottle open. You're apparently supposed to just put the pin in one of the two holes. Aside from that, we've only had to refill based on expiration.

n0m4d wrote:

I wasn't referring to an accidental discharge.... this is Lemons, we could have a legit fire that wouldn't necessarily knock us out for the weekend.

We've had 'em.
We keep a 5 lb. dry chem extinguisher on-board for those little, lemony fires that occur, and used it.

The Suppression system is there to protect the driver first, the car second. If the driver can exit w/o the
suppression system, we use that option and grab the hand-held. Our pull is right at the driver's window
and can be operated safely after exit, if necessary, to try and save the car.

I will say, based on past experience, all y'all that have A&D drivers or brand new drivers,
BE VERY CLEAR ABOUT WHAT TO DO IN A FIRE.
I'd have had an easy fix on fuel fire if the A&D had hit the kill switch.
Instead, it killed the PCM, and locked the factory anti-theft system.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

n0m4d wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Well you have to have the mentality that the Fire System is ONLY for Driver protection and egress as a last resort. Another reason to keep a hand extinguisher in the car.

It's the same reason why in the airlines we don't shoot the extinguisher unless the fire doesn't stop with the isolation valve portion of the fire lever. Once you blow the bottle that engine is scrap already.

Basically if the car is on fire enough to justify popping the bottle, the cars weekend is already done.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Mulry wrote:

The one I accidentally discharged was the cable pull type.  It didn't get discharged from the driver T handle end, a spare parts container came into contact with the handle on top of the bottle itself to set it off.  In my case it happened while loading the car at the end of the weekend but it could easily have happened at the track prior to the race.  Yes it's not easy to do but again, Lemons.

Gone bye-bye

This is an related story.  My advice is to have a couple extinguishers  in the trailer also.  At our last WRL race a team was fueling in the hot pits and spilled five gallons of fuel on a hot exhaust.  The fireball engulfed the fueler and rear of the car.  At least 5 surrounding teams emptied their own pit extinguisher to help put out the fire.  Thankfully the fueler was not injured and the car actually got back out.  We were a team that used part of their extinguisher to help.  Thankfully we have two.  If we didn’t, then we wouldn’t have had a full one for ourselves the rest of the race for fueling.  Just food for thought.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Yea, and you can run to the Meynar-Lowe-depot and grab another 5 pounder. Harder to get an AFFF or Crazy Space Juice suppression system recharged/certified at 2pm on a Saturday.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

one has to assume this is for driver protection completely, i mean the car costs less than the fire supression system, unless you are a cheater.
so really it should only be used if the driver can't get out and its on fire.  gee i think the chances of that are slim car must be quite smashed up,
or if driver unconscious, then they can't activate it anyway.

from what i've read, the foam seems best for the engine compartment, and the magic gas for the driver area, but can't afford both (or even one really, but rules are rules)