1 (edited by jimbbski 2018-01-19 12:24 PM)

Topic: Looking for a machine shop

Since almost every Lemons car if raced long engine may need engine work so  I come here to ask for advise.
I'm an in need of a "good" engine machine shop in the Chicago/NW Indiana area.
The shop I have used in the past has closed due to the owner passing away since I last used them.
So any suggestions?

Re: Looking for a machine shop

jimbbski wrote:

Since almost every Lemons car if raced long engine may need engine work so  I come here to ask for advise.
I'm an in need of a "good" engine machine shop in the Chicago/NW Indiana area.
The shop I have used in the past has closed due to the owner passing away since I last used them.
So any suggestions?

So, my shop north of Crete is gone as well?

This is the place that turned down the flywheel for the van:

Midwest Engine Tech
19130 85th Pl, Mokena, IL 60448
(815) 464-9490

Beachy Machine Shop
175 E North St, Kokomo IN 46901
765-452-9051

Kyle Always does good work and prices are pretty good.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

Van Senus
6920 Kennedy Ave, Hammond, IN 46323
(219) 844-2900

I like them.

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

coolhand454 wrote:

Van Senus
(219) 844-2900

I like them.

These guys have been around forever but they are not (last I checked) on the reasonable end.  Not outlandish and are known to do high quality work but Jim is used to a bit more low end, high quality work from an unusually great shop that you couldn't find if you did not kalready know it was there.

7 (edited by jimbbski 2018-01-22 06:36 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
coolhand454 wrote:

Van Senus
(219) 844-2900

I like them.

These guys have been around forever but they are not (last I checked) on the reasonable end.  Not outlandish and are known to do high quality work but Jim is used to a bit more low end, high quality work from an unusually great shop that you couldn't find if you did not kalready know it was there.

And unfortunately it's not there any longer.  "Rest in peace Paul M" I will miss you!
A good guy who left us way to young!

I have found a new shop and will be testing them very soon.  I just need to receive some parts I ordered and I'll drop off a set of heads for some work. Then later a short block for a rebuild, new pistons, cam, and bearings! I will report back on my experience afterwards.

jimbbski wrote:

And unfortunately it's not there any longer.  "Rest in peace Paul M" I will miss you!

Was this recent? I had our VQ engine rebuilt over the summer.

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

I stopped in last week to drop off a head and his dad was there with a couple of friends. He said, "We don't do that anymore."
I asked why and he said Paul passed back in May of last year.

coolhand454 wrote:
jimbbski wrote:

Was this recent? I had our VQ engine rebuilt over the summer.

Don't think you guys are talking about the same place.

No advice, just wanted to say Hi.

Hi!

How you doing?

13 (edited by russian 2018-01-27 05:23 PM)

jimbbski wrote:

Hi! How you doing?

Here are two pictures which tell you everything about my 2017 east coast season:

https://a.d-cd.net/2b06b95s-1920.jpg

https://a.d-cd.net/94f86f5s-1920.jpg

My green miata is featured in this sad video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzf4LYQyp_I

more boring details at https://www.youtube.com/user/rusefi/videos

Need to find an excuse to visit Chicago! I am often in Ann Arbor but that's not exactly Illinois.

14 (edited by jimbbski 2018-01-28 09:30 PM)

That looks ugly!

Below is something I'm working on now for a friend.
The car sat for 25+ years and I hope to have a running/driving car in the spring.
The car is a 1974 Capri.

https://im1.shutterfly.com/procgtaserv/47a8df36b3127cce985488a4b06d00000019100EctHDVw5cMd
'''

Jim -

Have you tried Apex Automotive Engineering in Bensenville?

224 South Evergreen Avenue
Bensenville IL 60106
(630) 766 7168
apexae.com

Bill, the owner, is a crotchety old fossil, but he does top notch work and his prices aren't too bad.  Mike and I have been going to him for decades.  His only downside is that he works at the speed of a glacier.  If you need it done yesterday, you've come to the wrong place.

Darren

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)

Thanks Darren, but I already found a shop just a few miles from me.  Markham Machine in of all placed Markham, IL!
Their old school as well but do work at a normal pace. The head work I needed done is in progress. Should be done the beginning of next week. Then the short block goes in for a redo.