Topic: Lexan or OEM Windshield?

Our poor windshield is just too sad for us to contemplate another race with it.  It's pitted with age and the area of taped over cracks is starting to dwarf the area of clear glass.  Replacing it with Lexan seems like a great way to shed a couple of pounds and get a clear windshield in the process.

The SCCA rules call for 6mm Lexan and extra bracing.  Seems a little over the top to me.  Summit sells windshields that are 1/8"- 3/16" (~3-4mm).  I have no idea what the Lemons tech inspectors will expect.

For about the same price as the peice of Lexan (~$200) we could get a new windshield put in.

Thoughts?

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Re: Lexan or OEM Windshield?

I would stick to a glass windshield.  It's way more scratch resistant than Lexan

I'd like Lexan for the sides or rear.  For now we have kept glass though.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Yep.  It'll probably cost a hundred bucks to ship that Lexan too unless you have a Summit local to you.

When I spider-webbed our windshield for a second time, I switched to Lexan and would do so again in a heartbeat. I got some Percy's Speedglass (or something like that) from Summit, it's a coated Lexan so it doesn't scratch up. Not expensive to ship, either. Worth a look. It is a lot lighter than the factory glass.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

5 (edited by SharkBait 2010-02-01 05:04 PM)

Our OEM windshield was unceremoniously ejected at the Reno race last year. We ran two races with nothing but then thought better of it. We ran Lexan at Thunderhill for the first time in November. With all the cars out there spewing oil, brake fluid, fuel, sweat, bile, etc all day long, it gets dirty quickly and it isn't as easy as glass to clean. We're going back to glass.

If you want to see what it looked like by the end of Sunday, watch this:

http://www.racesharks.com/videos.asp?vid=34

You'll notice glare from a setting sun is also a pretty big problem more so than glass IMHO.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Has anyone tried wipers with a lexan windshield?

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

Would switching to lexan be a "safety item"?

SharkBait wrote:

Our OEM windshield was unceremoniously ejected at the Reno race last year. We ran two races with nothing but then thought better of it. We ran Lexan at Thunderhill for the first time in November. With all the cars out there spewing oil, brake fluid, fuel, sweat, bile, etc all day long, it gets dirty quickly and it isn't as easy as glass to clean. We're going back to glass.

If you want to see what it looked like by the end of Sunday, watch this:

http://www.racesharks.com/videos.asp?vid=34

You'll notice glare from a setting sun is also a pretty big problem more so than glass IMHO.

I agree with you, it can be more difficult to clean. I think that the coated lexan that we're using cleans easier than uncoated lexan. I cleaned our windshield pretty OCDish after I cut it to size and then used rain-x on the outside and it seemed to clean about as easy as glass, although probably not quite as easily. Plus you couldn't ever take a razor to the lexan to scrape it clean. On the other hand, the lexan won't break, crack, or spiderweb when the glass will.

I agree that lens flare is worse with the lexan though.

One other advantage of going with the lexan is that doesn't have to be adhered to the car with glue; you can attach it to the car with dzus and tabs and then it comes off pretty easily and quickly, which makes it a hell of a lot easier to do work on the dash/console area of the car, an area that can otherwise be really difficult to reach.

sawinatthewheel wrote:

Has anyone tried wipers with a lexan windshield?

I've done it with mine without any problems.

ChopSuki wrote:

Would switching to lexan be a "safety item"?

Yes.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry,

What thickness of Lexan did you use?

st_rage wrote:

Mulry,

What thickness of Lexan did you use?

1" bulletproof is absolutely required.  Use 2 layers for extra safety...

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Mulry wrote:

I got some Percy's Speedglass (or something like that) from Summit, it's a coated Lexan so it doesn't scratch up.

Wow, that windshield costs more than our entire car...

Windshield, Ford, Mustang, 3/16 in.Thick, Each    * $416.95

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Since our race is just a couple of days away I think I'll opt for the glass.  I can get someone out here to put it in for $185.  I'm mentally balancing the cleanability with the weight savings, but the fact that someone else will put it in for the same $$$ is the clincher.

Get a Harbor Freight windshield removal/install kit for $6.99, and go to a junkyard and pull one for $20. Nobody's gonna care if your install looks like shit.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

We switched a lexan a couple of races ago and while it saves over 50 pounds on our car I don't think I'd do it again.  We can't use wipers now and even with rainX the water just doesn't move.  It is REALLY hard to see when raining or if a car in front of you is spewing oil (which pretty much every car in Lemons does).

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407