Topic: What engines can I easily bolt to a VW 020 transmission?

No modifications, just bolt it on and commence domination. Carbureted gas or mechanically injected diesel is a plus because I am lazy and don't want to wire up EFI.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Re: What engines can I easily bolt to a VW 020 transmission?

Any 4 cylinder shares that bellhousing pattern. 1.5 diesel, 1.6 diesel, 1.9 TDI. 1.5 gas, 1.8T, 2.0 aba. Pretty much anything that isn't VR6 or I5 will bolt to it.

If you're interested, I just converted an old CIS 8v to run on a rack of 4 CV mikunis. It was a 50 dollar rack of carbs on ebay. The thing screams to 7K now. I cut a couple of flanges on the CNC mill at work, welded some tubes to it and stuck the carbs on the end. Pretty simple.

And I suspect (I don't have enough data points) that the 4 cylinder bell housing shares 5 bolts with the other bell housing pattern. So they bolt on too and work fine in a race environment.

That guy

The bell housings are pretty close, but the later housings have some of the holes in different places.

As long as a 1.9 TDI will bolt up, I think that I'm all set.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

5 (edited by mgbgt89 2018-05-03 01:36 PM)

rmcdaniels wrote:

The bell housings are pretty close, but the later housings have some of the holes in different places.

As long as a 1.9 TDI will bolt up, I think that I'm all set.

I helped build a 81 rabbit with a 1.9 TDI swap, Bolted right up to the stock 020. It really needs geared differently, since it's almost triple the stock power output. 1st and 5th are way too short. It runs out of gear way before it runs out of power. There are tons of different ratios depending on which trans code it is.

6 (edited by Sexy jesus 2018-05-04 07:54 AM)

I have a few complete ABA if you need one. Located in AZ but I could bring to a race. 112 hp of 8valve fury. You won't kill them. Just run the efi. Or add carbs

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

Audi twin turbo V6. Just sayin' wink

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Audi twin turbo V6. Just sayin' wink

Pretty sure he does not hate himself that much.

Put an 02a in it and save the headache later down the road

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

We'd like to put a 1.5/1.6 diesel in it. ("As God intended" :-)) The real rub... Dodge scratched all the VW markings off the thing. We're guessing what it is based on many factors (i.e. gear ratios)

Newer engines have more holes in different places, but the ones we need will line up. The size of the axle will be the biggest problem. We had to add a little extra clearance to the EV mating plate to get the driver side axle to spin. (that plate was designed for a modern 1.8T)

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

mgbgt89 wrote:

Any 4 cylinder shares that bellhousing pattern. 1.5 diesel, 1.6 diesel, 1.9 TDI. 1.5 gas, 1.8T, 2.0 aba. Pretty much anything that isn't VR6 or I5 will bolt to it.

I think an Audi I5 would bolt up, assuming it's the 2.0l diesel from a C2 5000. It was basically a VW 1.6l with an extra cylinder.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.