Topic: How cold is too cold?

Once we got the car running last night we took it for a spin.  With air temps in the low 30's the temp gauge hovered between very low and off the bottom of the gauge (normally runs at 1/3).   Are we going to need a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator?

Outside temps for our previous races at CMP have ranged from swealtering to pleasent.  This time things are going to be a bit different...

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Re: How cold is too cold?

you are one of the lucky few with the problem of a too cool engine....its easy to restrict airflow to the radiator to bring temps up....just like what big rigs do in the artic.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Careful about where you temp is sensed...engine temps can vary widely between head and block, for example. A good thermostat should be all you need...if you overcool, it will keep heat in the engine...also easy to remove..

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

How long did you drive it? Our trans temp does not move over 140 after 20 minutes of driving in 40 weather. But after an hour it's 180.

st_rage wrote:

the temp gauge hovered between very low and off the bottom of the gauge (normally runs at 1/3).

Don't ever trust a stock gauge.  They are way over damped to give the owner a warm fuzzy feeling of security.  You can buy a real water temp gauge at AutoZone for $18.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

It's just the stock gauge.  We just took the car around the block after letting the engine warm up in the garage as we were adding coolant.  When we got to the one spot where we could hit 40-50mph you could watch the gauge drop like a rock.  A couple of laps later the needle was settled at the low end of the gauge.  We were testing it out in my neighborhood, so we definately weren't pushing the car very hard.

We are also running an oil cooler.  It kept the teps low for the September CMP race, but it seems like overkill now.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

I'd block the oil cooler off.

Are you running a thermostat?

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

st_rage wrote:

When we got to the one spot where we could hit 40-50mph you could watch the gauge drop like a rock.  A couple of laps later the needle was settled at the low end of the gauge.

The only thing I have seen to make a stock gauge react that quickly is a pocket of air.  Be sure you have your system fully bled.  Some cars can be very hard to evacuate air from the cooling system.

On the gauge, seriously, get a real one.  I know in this cold weather it's not a huge deal but in the summer it really can be.  On a VERY hot track day last year my street/HPDE car was showing "just a needle width" over 195F so I decided to investigate.  Turned out that "just a needle width" past 195F was actually 230F.  From day forward I knew I needed a real gauge in a car being pushed that hard.  IOW, by the time the stock gauge reaches the "H", it's likely been hot way too long.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!