Topic: Does anybody know what the hose..

that runs from the front of the engine under the intake to the rear right side of the intake does? Is the a cylinder collant hose or an intake warming hose? Looking fore every little bit of power and thought that by removing it might help cool the intake. the car is a 1996 crown vic 4.6

Mello Kab
1996 Crown Vic
2 time  Least Horrible Yank Tank Award

Re: Does anybody know what the hose..

I'm like 95% sure it's just a heater hose.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Thanks! I thought you might know from you website. I emailed you yesterday but after sending myself a test the email function on this site must not work. Thanks Scotty

Mello Kab
1996 Crown Vic
2 time  Least Horrible Yank Tank Award

Might be a good thing to keep that heater hose and the heater core for this weekends race.

Yeah it's a heater hose. There's a metal pipe on the back of that head that likes to rust and spring a leak. It connects to one of the heater hoses. If you don't need a heater I would bypass the whole plumbing setup for it.

6 (edited by TheHeckler 2010-02-04 11:40 AM)

mrfxst wrote:

that runs from the front of the engine under the intake to the rear right side of the intake does? Is the a cylinder collant hose or an intake warming hose? Looking fore every little bit of power and thought that by removing it might help cool the intake. the car is a 1996 crown vic 4.6

The intake is plastic and not heated.   If the heater core is sound and doesn't have leaks you might want to just leave it in place for the cold weather...

On the rear of the water pump is a pressed in metal hose that is the return from the heater core.  These do often rust.  If you have the motor out I'd suggest blocking it off.   Same goes for the heater water outlet on the right rear head, use a freeze plug there.

Do NOT run without a thermostat, it is needed to block the bypass or you will overheat.

http://www.dummycorp.net/BDL/96crownvic.gif

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang