1 (edited by squidbreath 2010-02-02 09:31 AM)

Topic: Aero and seat questions

1.  Where is a good low pressure zone to vent engine heat to on a 3-box shaped sedan?
2.  What is aero effect of no side and back glass on a 3-box sedan?  Good or bad.

Haven't got my cfd model completed yet wink

3.  I have 4 drivers that fit a 16" seat and one that needs a 24" seat.  What to do?  Should I have the big guy do all his driving on one day so we have only one seat change?  Does anyone have 'quick change but safe' attachment ideas?

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Re: Aero and seat questions

#2 - how fast are you going?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We'll probably peak at 120 but spend most of our time at 40-80.

For the seat probably the best option (but not cheapest) is to get a 24" aluminum seat and then use the expanding foam in a bag/make your own insterts for each driver.  You can use the actual expaning foam but its a pain or you can get the bead seat instert stuff which works better but as mentioned, isnt cheap.

Better info than I can type up to be found here
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/foam-seat-inserts.asp

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

I read somewhere about using a trash bag and expanding foam to make an quick and dirty seat insert. 

If you are talking about the changes in handling because there is no glass at a Lemons race - don't worry about it.  There is less lateral buffeting but generally it handles the same as normal.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

1. Aero. Check with the track. You might not have a choice at running glass except the windshield. Also, you're running with a bunch of noobs. Safety glass on the track means cautions. It also means safety glass in your car.

2. Seats. We got a Corbeau Forza. Comfortable for everyone on long hauls, from a 5'9" to a 6'1" guy. Get the slider. It's approved and really valuable for not getting lock knee.

As for the 24" seat. Well, base your idea on safety first. Don't forget that replacing a seat might also mean fussing with harness mounts. It's your life.  You only get one.

If you change the seat the car will need to come to tech and be re-teched before being allowed back on track.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

OK, Mr. Evil, it looks like i'm going to go the foam insert route.