Topic: To P Car or not?

Ok, this $500 car thing is a bit crazy but addicting and in the past 2 weeks I have purchased 3 yes THREE cars all $500 or less.  I now have to decide which one to race as 2 of the 3 have potential.  My gut tells me to run the 1991 Honda Prelude SI as lots of cheap parts and well it's a Honda.  BUT...Car #2 is a 1987 Porsche 944....and yes I know they never last but come on...it's a Porsche and a $500 one at that.... Which car would you run and why?

Re: To P Car or not?

Both have been done a few times.  People seem have a hard time believing a $500 944, so you run a slightly larger risk of getting crushed.  On the plus side, the 944 is RWD.  It probably boils down to whichever one you feel most comfortable working on.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

s4pasnu wrote:

Ok, this $500 car thing is a bit crazy but addicting and in the past 2 weeks I have purchased 3 yes THREE cars all $500 or less.  I now have to decide which one to race as 2 of the 3 have potential.  My gut tells me to run the 1991 Honda Prelude SI as lots of cheap parts and well it's a Honda.  BUT...Car #2 is a 1987 Porsche 944....and yes I know they never last but come on...it's a Porsche and a $500 one at that.... Which car would you run and why?

Race the 944 and cheat like hell, no problem.  Every 944 with cheaty parts fails spectacularly!   Oh wait, Qualudes are cheaty cars as well... and the cheatier, the more likely to fail...   

Whichever you pick, be prepared to face some very critical judges...

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I am not a Honda fan.  Ever since I changed a lower radiator hose one a girlfriend's car Accord I really disliked them even more.

I couldn't ever even get into a position to see the end of the lower hose or the clamp. WTF!!!

I pulled up the radiator to get the damn hose changed.

So how bad could a Porsche really be?  My fear is the maintenance cost and cheap parts availability.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Preludes have not been very reliable in Lemons, but then neither have 944s.

Thanks for the input; seems a toss up as of now so think I will go for the team approach and see which car I can get the most support for.  I do like RWD waaaaay better so that is a plus for the 944.  Does anyone know if the Aug race in Omaha at MAM will be a 24h or split event as that could also play a factor in making the 944 last as know they like to eat bearings (rod and wheel).  Not too worried about the judges or peoples curse as our pit btches (gals) will provide the distraction / cover we need for either entry.

From OLD Fast Auto Race Team & Sons
We have been using 924S in four races so far.  Finished all - 14th, 27th, 28th, 8th.  We have added a 924 Turbo to the stable for Sears.  The cars are fast enough.  Spend your time in reliablity and driver training.  I'll be happy to answer any questions.  PM me.

s4pasnu wrote:

...Not too worried about the judges or peoples curse as our pit btches (gals) will provide the distraction / cover we need for either entry.

Load your trunk up with booze as well.  Our Patron and Pacifico party favors gave us leniency.  I wouldn't worry about the People's Curse so much.  That's up to your team's driving and ability to play well with others.

Throw that Prelude motor into the Krappenwaggen and we'll talk.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

P Car is the winner for now.
Going to run at the Chump event at BIR in June so depending how that goes then will do the MAM Lemon event in August.  Does anyone know if the MAM race will be 24h or split?  Wish we could do the April Gingerman event but never get done in time and still a heck of a drive from MN.  Thanks for all the input and feel free to e-mail me with any 944/924 do's and dont's as know to work on just making the car reliable and have a good pile of spare parts.

I feel sorry for the 944 team that blew their motor on the Friday test day before the race at TH...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

944 all day every day...no brainer....yes they are well known to grenade in spectacular fashion and have engines that like to do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm1BlKelA3M

just like my 928 does.....  but they are well balanced easy to drive platforms that can pass BS......just take some precautions to save the engine (6500rpm at full throttle in a left turn is NOT a good idea)....  our plan to "save" the 928 engine this time around is by turning LOWER rpm's....5500rpm MAX....under 4500 in left turns and no full throttle until the car is pointed straight again....

Bottom line is we need more P cars at Lemons....  I think we had 2 924's and 2 944's at Arse Freeze plus a 914 and the 928 "estate"

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Personally Id race the one that had the better body.  I dunno were you are from but round here (the rust belt) finding a junk car with a good chassis is more important then anything else when it comes to Lemons.  But all things being equal Id take the 944,  both cars have VERY bad Lemons records so why not pick the one that is RWD and wearing a Porsche badge?

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Last race
16. Wedding Party, Porsche 944
BS Penalty laps: 45

Does anyone know why the 944 at the last race get 45 laps?  That sounds like a big hit for a 944.

s4pasnu wrote:

Does anyone know if the MAM race will be 24h or split?

I think that all races this year except for the Miami event are split.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Race the third car.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

squidbreath wrote:

Race the third car.

The 3rd car was a 2002 Dodge Intrepid with low miles and lots of body damage..nothing real bad but ran great...That car has been sold.

Since we have a Chump event at BIR in June prior to the MAM 24HOL race think we may run both cars...at least that is the plan this week. 
At least that way if one craps out we can still drive as all about seat time for us.

OldFart wrote:

Last race

Does anyone know why the 944 at the last race get 45 laps?  That sounds like a big hit for a 944.

might as well be 400 laps.....my guess is they must have had some type of big $$$ shocks or something cheatonium

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:
OldFart wrote:

Last race

might as well be 400 laps.....my guess is they must have had some type of big $$$ shocks or something cheatonium

I just get a little concerned if someone is giving P-cars a bad rap.  It spoils it for the rest of us non-cheaters.

Evil Genius wrote:

and the cheatier, the more likely to fail...

If this were true than I could slap my "slightly modded" 383 in our car and they'd blow us right through cause it would likely blow up within 30 minutes... A glorious shower of oil and coolant would rain from the heavens and glisten off our paid distractions in their bikinis and perfectly tanned, 20-something skin.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

OldFart wrote:
icemang17 wrote:
OldFart wrote:

Last race

I just get a little concerned if someone is giving P-cars a bad rap.  It spoils it for the rest of us non-cheaters.

This is SO true.....however I am VERY proud of my $256 928 + a replacement $300 engine (don't worry I sold junk to make it right) at the track today......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo3EnNCXnMk

Its running GREAT.....which just means I will feel that much WORSE when it dies often and early at Sears Pointless  :>(

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2