Topic: noob - inevitably failing tech inspection -- what happens next

Trying to gear up for our inaugural race at MRS Houston!

need to know what happens when we "inevitably" fail tech. Tech for this race opens at noon Friday and closes at 5pm Friday. it also states that no tech will be preformed on Saturday.

Noon-5pm: Mandatory Friday tech inspection. Every car and at least one driver per team must be present for Friday tech. No Saturday tech will be offered.

need to know if we fail tech and have to weld into the night Friday how do we go about passing tech if no tech is offered on Saturday?

Thanks,

Zac

Re: noob - inevitably failing tech inspection -- what happens next

If you have followed the "how not to fail tech" guidelines, you should be OK.

If there are any questions or concerns, you should e-mail tech (jeff or john) before your race with Photo's, so they can pre-approve or deny.

--

They'll tech you Saturday morning if absolutely necessary.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

They will tech you later if needed.

Why do you think you're going to fail? The fact you mention welding says you're worried about something big.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Last year at MSR Houston we showed up with our cage two thirds complete.  I had been in contract with another team to help us get it finished at the tract.  Fortunately for us,. where we were welding happened to be near the tech inspection.  The head judge saw what we were doing, gave advice, and he said he would do tech in the morning.  Granted we got on the track after everyone else, but we got on.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Fishah wrote:

They'll tech you Saturday morning if absolutely necessary.

Yes, although as moose72 implied, this will almost certainly be after they've taken care of getting the race started. Don't expect them to drop everything and get you through tech before then.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

All it cost us was some welding wire, welding gas, and a brisket.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

7 (edited by rlchv70 2018-09-18 12:36 PM)

Find another local team to come inspect your car before the race.   They can give advice on what may or may not pass tech.

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36477

Post lots of pics here.  We'll be glad to tell you what you did wrong.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Post lots of pics here.  We'll be glad to tell you what you did wrong.

lol yeah i guess i need to go home and take some pics!

360° welds are a major fail point for many new team builds.
Tech will check. Ugly welds may also draw unwanted attention.
This one might pass, or it might not.

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/geek/gars/images/2/4/1/2/booger2.jpg

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

11 (edited by OnkelUdo 2018-09-18 04:35 PM)

DelinquentRacer wrote:

Main hoop to halo is about the most common other than incomplete spreader plate welding.  Trust me, new team, they are sticking a hand up there to feel for them.  There are three common methods for getting up there if you cage is ultimately tight to the roof...ask if you are not sure.

Another one that is easy to fix and catches a lot of folks out as newbies (use 2-3 times) is covering the positive battery terminal even if it is in a box...once it is in a box you forget about it.

DelinquentRacer wrote:

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/geek/gars/images/2/4/1/2/booger2.jpg

If your welds look like that, you need another welder, and by welder I mean a different person, not a different machine.  That picture looks like the "If the welds aren't good, more is better" line of thinking, which is 100% WRONG!

There are a few options to gain access to all the tubes to get 360° welds like using plinth boxes, removing the windshield, cutting access holes, and dropping the cage through holes in the floor pan.  All of these methods are acceptable, but they WILL CHECK, so just do it right, and you won't have any issues.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

yeah - our cage welds are 360 deg (had to cut holes in the floor to drop the cage through to gain access to the tuff spots). my main concern is the spreader plates. we have pretty bad rust on the passenger side floor where the "floor" and "body" meet -- we ran and extra large spreader plate there such that it goes up the side of the car as well on the floor. but right were the floor and the side of the car meet there is a little rust we weren't able to weld over. I'll post pics tomorrow to give yall a better idea of my main concern.