Topic: Lap belt to floor mount question

I got the "Lemons special" harness deal and have a quick question about mounting the lap and sub belt. Factory belts in the car bolted to the seat. We put in an aftermarket seat without belt/harness mounts, so it needs to mount on the floor plate we've also put in.

My question: can I attach the non-clip belts with a single right angle bracket welded to the floor?

Re: Lap belt to floor mount question

If it's still available to you, you can bolt the harnesses into the factory floor mounts and that satisfies the safety police.

If not, then angle iron welded to the floor should be fine. Or you could just bolt the angle iron through the floor so long as you use the appropriate thickness and width backing plates/washers and grade hardware. Just make sure that the harnesses don't have to twist to make it through your seat openings, and make sure to get the belt tighteners fully strapped up. It's an autofail if those aren't threaded right. Cheers and good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Also make sure that the belt does not touch any part of the mount. We bolted our belts to our stock seat belt locations on the side but the tech guys made us space them out because the nylon belt was touching the floor where it ran through the mounting bracket. We just made some little 1/4 thick aluminum washers to space the belt away from the mount. they dont want the belt being pinched in the mount. The belt has to be able to move freely through the slot in the mounting plate.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

Strongly suggest mounting a doubler under the floorpan where you weld. Make the plate as big as space allows...and Grade 8 bolt/nut to attach the ring. Check the instructions from the belt mfr for details...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_x3z6QEYzWqk/S2-ljsOmxpI/AAAAAAAACMk/dBk_-d661oQ/s640/assembly.jpg

Based on what I'm reading here, something like this would be OK then?

Add a second angle the other way to put the belt attach bolt in "double shear" and add a BIG backing plate, not just a washer....and lose the lock washer!! Safety wire, or if you're cheap like me, just weld a drilled tab on a back up nut i.e double nut the bolt and wire that to something solid. Split ring lock washers are deadly because if/when they break, the nut is instantly loose and you have no belts...and thread the belt correctly or it will slip and you'll biff your shiny new helmet on the main hoop in a rollover....do not ask me how I know this!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

1/4" steel doubler is preferred. Or thicker... Last thing you want is to end up on your roof and have the harness rip out of the floor as Jimmy Dive-Bomber plows into your door.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"