Topic: Application "essay"

Give me a little direction as to what the organizers are looking for in the "free response" section of the application.

Are they looking for a full page, single spaced, creative writing excersice detailing the car, the team, etc, etc, etc...

Or just short, sweet, and to-the-point (i.e. busy folks who don't want to read all my ramblings)

What do they tend to care about?  The team? The car? The theme?  Our personal sob story about how we HAVE to be admitted to THIS race?  What type of beer we like (and plan to share)?

Thanks

Re: Application "essay"

sac02 wrote:

Are they looking for a full page, single spaced, creative writing excersice detailing the car, the team, etc, etc, etc...

What do they tend to care about?  The team? The car? The theme?  Our personal sob story about how we HAVE to be admitted to THIS race?  What type of beer we like (and plan to share)?

Thanks

All of the above       and the more groveling the better

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

3 (edited by sac02 2010-02-03 03:05 PM)

The longer the better or the shorter the better? 

I can keep typing, stream-of-conciousness style, all day, but if I was the guy reading two hundred of these things I'd rather be sentenced to twenty years daily driving a Ford Tempo than wade through that much crap.

Probably depends on the entertainment value quality of my ramblings, I guess.

I'd say short and sweet, or at least hit the high points in the first paragraph.   Include a link to a website or a blog if they need to delve further.

sac02 wrote:

The longer the better or the shorter the better? 

I can keep typing, stream-of-conciousness style, all day, but if I was the guy reading two hundred of these things I'd rather be sentenced to twenty years daily driving a Ford Tempo than wade through that much crap.

Probably depends on the entertainment value quality of my ramblings, I guess.

will it make them more or less likely to say "these are the type of guys we want to have hanging around all weekend"?  there is your answer.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

The key is to make them want you over some other shlubs.  Think of them as the guys who are inviting people to a party.  They don't want a bunch of boring idiots, they want the people who are most likely to make the party fun to be at.  They can't afford to invite someone who will destroy the hotel room and set the building on fire, but if you are the one that promises to bring the strippers then...

The better (worse?) you car choice is, the less creative you will need to get.  Are you going to race an E30?  You better have a damn good theme and be creative in your story.  If you are going to race a Fuego Turbo, you could simply write "Hi, I'm sac02 and we will be racing a Fuego Turbo.  We have no theme, but we're racing a fucking French car that's likely to complete six laps before failing miserably".  You will be in for sure.  Get it?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Put it this way: if you leave the essay section of the exam blank, you fail!

Short and sweet......

Tell them why your car is better than the umpteen others in the race and how your theme is better than everyone elses adn in general how you are cool guys to party with

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

My wife had a Tempo when I met her.   Believe me..... you don't want to drive one for 20 minutes.   Has a Tempo ever finished a race?

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

10 (edited by TeamRambler 2010-02-04 04:42 PM)

Spud wrote:

My wife had a Tempo when I met her.   Believe me..... you don't want to drive one for 20 minutes.   Has a Tempo ever finished a race?

Unless it was one of those I-8 T-Drives...

Not so sure about a Tempo finishing. Ostensibly, If  it were one of the 1st gen manuals, it MIGHT finish.

I'd like to read through the essays.
Where are they posted?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I'd like to see someone write something completely esoteric; The Preamble to the Constitution or cake mix instructions! 

How about a sonnet that exudes the praises of crap can racing?  Italian or English style though, not that shitty Occitan style.

You could also list the most likely failure modes of your Tempo.  This would be helpful for both your team and oddsmakers!

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

13 (edited by Modelwerks 2010-02-08 05:45 AM)

I would think with a Tempo, you are a sure thing!  Or a Tempo with an SHO transplant for pure carnage.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Modelwerks wrote:

I would think with a Tempo, you are a sure thing!  Or a Tempo with an SHO transplant for pure carnage.

A temp-sho   that would get in for sure.....& is absolutely guaranteed of finishing at most 5 laps (4 on the tow truck)

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2