Re: Evaluating Driving

Give us feedback after you use them.  All of us are interested in being faster also.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

squidrope wrote:

Just found exactly what I was looking for.  It does exist!  I will be trying it out once I get the video from Pitt.

racers360.com

I posted that link to that service in this thread four months ago.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

I used Racers360 after a Lucky Dog event at Laguna in January. 

In short, it was money well spent for me.

Laguna was my 18th enduro, and prior to Lemons, I did AutoX in an noncompetitive Accord on stock tires.

I really wanted to work on braking effectiveness, and communicated that in advance to Dion von Moltke. We agreed what he'd look at, and I found the video useful, informative, and helped quite a bit at Pitt Race. He worked through a number of corner entry and exits on the video, and was able to flag and highlight mistakes and areas for improvement.

Will use them again when I've got  more good in-car video on track.

rmcdaniels wrote:
squidrope wrote:

Just found exactly what I was looking for.  It does exist!  I will be trying it out once I get the video from Pitt.

racers360.com

I posted that link to that service in this thread four months ago.

Sorry I missed it or am losing my mind...

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Dion basically spent the entire Racers360 video screaming "GO FASTER YOU ****** ******* ******* ****** ************************"

It wasn't the feedback I wanted, but was the feedback I needed.

When I had a professional coach on the Nurburgring with me, he spent an entire lap saying nothing but "flat" every time we approached a turn, then rode in mostly silence (still an occasional "flat") for another lap, then he said "drop me off, you know what you're doing". It wasn't what I expected, but I went through most of the turns in the Nurburgring flat for the next 5 laps, so there's that.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

rmcdaniels wrote:

When I had a professional coach on the Nurburgring with me, he spent an entire lap saying nothing but "flat" every time we approached a turn, then rode in mostly silence (still an occasional "flat") for another lap, then he said "drop me off, you know what you're doing". It wasn't what I expected, but I went through most of the turns in the Nurburgring flat for the next 5 laps, so there's that.

Tanner Foust said on a Smoking Tire Podcast he coached rich old dudes on track before he knew anything about driving. The sum total of his advice was "brake later and get on gas earlier."

Everyone thought he was a genius.

DirtyDuc wrote:

Something I've been taught since I learned to drive, not to put my thumbs inside the steering wheel. I do it occasionally on the road, but my track stance is thumb aligned with the top (towards the driver) of the wheel.

I was taught that wrapping the thumb around promotes broken thumbs when things go awry.

I'm not particularly fast, but I've never broken a thumb.

This is my rule of Thumb as well LOL. It stemmed from off road driving and my dad beating it into my head.

nickD wrote:

Tanner Foust said on a Smoking Tire Podcast he coached rich old dudes on track before he knew anything about driving. The sum total of his advice was "brake later and get on gas earlier."

Everyone thought he was a genius.

Tanner was being modest. I worked with him on the BMW Ultimate Driving Experience in the late 90's. He was a good instructor.

--bb