26 (edited by shouldnthave 2016-06-23 09:54 AM)

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

mully006 wrote:

I'm not sure if I agree with you on the speed of the CB250 vs the 390 Duke.  It weighs the same and it has more than double the horsepower. I know that's not everything, but the reviews and videos say that it is more than capable to cruse at 80 and my CB250 barely hits 70 at WOT.  I will definitely look into that class.  I was planning on taking the advanced class offered by Training Wheels in MA.   

As for your suggestions, I will add the FZ-07 and the SV650 to the list.  I think the 690, the Thruxton R and the Street Triple are too much bike for now.  And a little to performance/sport bike oriented for my taste. 

That is great advice on buying used. Thanks

Sorry, in my mind I read CBR 250, not the old CB 250.

The KTM 390 is a hell of a bike, I know several of the kids racing them in Moto America, and they love them. 

Don't say no to any bikes with an 'R' in the name. The R just means they have upgraded suspension and breaks.  They are actually safer bikes to ride.

ETA: Just don't ever crash the 390.... http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forum … p?t=498890

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

shouldnthave wrote:
mully006 wrote:

I'm not sure if I agree with you on the speed of the CB250 vs the 390 Duke.  It weighs the same and it has more than double the horsepower. I know that's not everything, but the reviews and videos say that it is more than capable to cruse at 80 and my CB250 barely hits 70 at WOT.  I will definitely look into that class.  I was planning on taking the advanced class offered by Training Wheels in MA.   

As for your suggestions, I will add the FZ-07 and the SV650 to the list.  I think the 690, the Thruxton R and the Street Triple are too much bike for now.  And a little to performance/sport bike oriented for my taste. 

That is great advice on buying used. Thanks

Sorry, in my mind I read CBR 250, not the old CB 250.

The KTM 390 is a hell of a bike, I know several of the kids racing them in Moto America, and they love them. 

Don't say no to any bikes with an 'R' in the name. The R just means they have upgraded suspension and breaks.  They are actually safer bikes to ride.

ETA: Just don't ever crash the 390.... http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forum … p?t=498890

I get that with the "R" it was more because I want to avoid sportbikes with fairings and whatnot.  I am going to do my best not to crash, no mater what bike I get. 

Right now I am trying to decide between the 390 Duke and the CB500F.  They will come out the about the same price after the mod's that are needed on the 390.  I still need to go and see if I even fit on the 390 hmm that could be a deciding factor.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

mully006 wrote:

Here is my list as of now.

KTM 390 Duke
Triumph Street Twin
Honda CB500F
Suzuki SV650
Yamaha FZ-07

On the fence/bikes I like, but I'm probably not going to get. 

Triumph Tiger
Suzuki VStrom 650 XT
Triumph Bonneville
Triumph Scrambler
Ducati Scrambler
Ducati Monster 696
Many more

We've worked on a few CB500s and they are fine, but my top three choices would be the FZ-07, any 2003- up SV650 or DL650 (if you want a big(er) trailie) and the 390 Duke. The Triumph twins are heavy and not that nice to ride and can be fiddly to work on. The Ducatis are a pain to work on and are still pretty Italian.

The FZ-09 is amazingly good, but probably an unnecessary leap from a CB250.

The CB500 is a nicely engineered bike, but not much 'zing'. Cheap to insure and run though.

The KTM will annoy you after a while with its single vibration/engine character and spendy oil requirements, but they are FAST for a small bike and will make you Rickey Racer at sane(ish) speeds.

My personal choice would be an SV650, because they are out there and cheap, and with a couple of tweaks (fork damping upgrade and a ZX-6R shock) they are hard to beat on the backroads.

-Anton

Volvo 544 - now with Chevy 3.9 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 108 races and counting
11/18/20

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

Keep your mind open on the SV650.  It's a great bike.  It's stable and easy to ride.  It's really fun too.  The frame is so well designed that the bike just likes to turn.  It's why lots of guys race them.

I loved my SV650.  I took my motorcycle licensing test on an SV because it was so stable at extremely low speeds.  It also has a lower seat for shorter inseams.  If' you're used to the little honda, the SV will not be that big of a transition on that front.

On the list as you have it, I'd move the SV to the top!

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot.

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

X-args wrote:

We've worked on a few CB500s and they are fine, but my top three choices would be the FZ-07, any 2003- up SV650 or DL650 (if you want a big(er) trailie) and the 390 Duke. The Triumph twins are heavy and not that nice to ride and can be fiddly to work on. The Ducatis are a pain to work on and are still pretty Italian.

The FZ-09 is amazingly good, but probably an unnecessary leap from a CB250.

The CB500 is a nicely engineered bike, but not much 'zing'. Cheap to insure and run though.

The KTM will annoy you after a while with its single vibration/engine character and spendy oil requirements, but they are FAST for a small bike and will make you Rickey Racer at sane(ish) speeds.

My personal choice would be an SV650, because they are out there and cheap, and with a couple of tweaks (fork damping upgrade and a ZX-6R shock) they are hard to beat on the backroads.

-Anton

chadadams59 wrote:

Keep your mind open on the SV650.  It's a great bike.  It's stable and easy to ride.  It's really fun too.  The frame is so well designed that the bike just likes to turn.  It's why lots of guys race them.

I loved my SV650.  I took my motorcycle licensing test on an SV because it was so stable at extremely low speeds.  It also has a lower seat for shorter inseams.  If' you're used to the little honda, the SV will not be that big of a transition on that front.

On the list as you have it, I'd move the SV to the top!

So I have added the SV650 and the FZ-07 to the list.  I went to sit on both of them tonight after work.  I am not really a fan of the riding position of the SV650.  I think it is a little bit too agressive for my taste.  Not extremely so but just a bit too forward.  I liked the FZ-07,  it is pretty expensive though and there are not really any used ones. 

I also sat on the CB500F and I did like the seating position. I need to sit on it again to be sure.  I will probably go with the CB500F, but I am not 100% decided yet.  I found a used 2016 with like 150mi for $5700 with ABS.  I haven't ruled out a used SV650 because you can get them pretty cheep.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

mully006 wrote:

So I have added the SV650 and the FZ-07 to the list.  I went to sit on both of them tonight after work.  I am not really a fan of the riding position of the SV650.  I think it is a little bit too aggressive for my taste.  Not extremely so but just a bit too forward.  I liked the FZ-07,  it is pretty expensive though and there are not really any used ones. 

I also sat on the CB500F and I did like the seating position. I need to sit on it again to be sure.  I will probably go with the CB500F, but I am not 100% decided yet.  I found a used 2016 with like 150mi for $5700 with ABS.  I haven't ruled out a used SV650 because you can get them pretty cheep.

Know why you can't find a FZ-07? Because they are awesome, and no one wants to get rid of them.

Cept for this guy.
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/5643482528.html

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

just get the SV650 naked version.   Its handle bars are higher than the faired version.  (Bars vs clip ons)

I loved my 05.    The power is smooth and tractable, maintenence is super cheap, they handle great, are ok on the highway.


I miss mine every nice day.

seriously, get the SV650, you wont regret it.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

33 (edited by zadar 2016-06-30 10:40 PM)

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

Another vote for sv, you can get them cheap, 03 and up so you get FI instead carbs.
If you don't mind spending money FZ07 is great choice.
Anything smaller you will outgrow fast. cbr500 falls in to slow and small category smile

ps. if you get one of this I be glad to answer any question you have or you can visit my site, twfracing.com

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

I think I am going to get an FZ-07.  I sat on one of the new SV650's and I felt the riding position was to forward for my taste.  I am going to ride the Yamaha on the 12th at a Yamaha test day in Lowell, that will help me decide if the big is going to be too much for my skill level.  I fell like it won't but we'll see. 

I do like the cheapness of the older SV's but I think the seating is the same as the new one.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

tl;dr
grom

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

X-args wrote:

My personal choice would be an SV650, because they are out there and cheap, and with a couple of tweaks (fork damping upgrade and a ZX-6R shock) they are hard to beat on the backroads.

-Anton


I second this!  All the people I know that have SV650's love them.  I wouldn't get anything less than a 600.  Anything less and you'll soon outgrow it!  IMHO.

C&B

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

I got a 2015 FZ-07.  Very happy with it.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Unless things have changed, the Ducati's will be expensive to maintain.  In short, each valve has to be adjusted twice (push/pull instead of just push).  Beautiful and fun bikes but I could never get past that personally.

Certain years and models of the Tiger have a great appeal to me too, but like with the KTM and Ducati, dealers are few and far between.  Outside of Harley, the shortest distance between dealers is Honda if that is a factor.

The air-cooled, naked Ducs are actually pretty easy to work on. I can't really speak to the Scramblers and the 2nd gen (actually 3rd gen, but most don't see the difference between 1st and 2nd) Monsters, but the only one that will be real pain is the 749R/999R bikes. They have stupid valve keepers.

The maintenance would get expensive if you kept taking it to a dealer, but there is good DIY support available...

That guy

39 (edited by Spank 2019-09-13 01:09 PM)

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

(bugger-- sent me to the wrong thread when I logged in to reply. Quite the pain.)

40 (edited by NC 2019-09-30 11:50 AM)

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

Another FZ-07 vote here.  Or better yet the FZ-09.  Deals on used ones are definitely out there. 

On the ergo topic, google "cycle ergo", first result is a site that let's you enter your height/inseam to get an idea of how you'll fit on a bike.

41 (edited by NC 2019-09-30 11:51 AM)

Re: Any Bikers Out There? Looking for Motorcycle Advice.

http://cycle-ergo.com/  I can now post links!