Topic: SW racecars Lemons roll cage package

Hello All, Im Jesse. I'm starting my project car with my team very soon. I've read the rules over a few time but have some questions about the seat and a site I found with a complete roll cage package. We have some height differences on our team. I'm 5'7" and my best friend in 6'2". We were looking at a packages that is through SWRacers. Supposed to come with everything needed to pass tech. Has anyone used or heard of them? Seat is aluminum but looks like it doesn't have the through holes for the harness.  Also if I go with a different style seat, can it recline? Lastly, back to our height differences,  can we use a booster cushion for our smaller drivers? Seat will be set up for our tallest driver.

Thanks and looking forward to the build.

Re: SW racecars Lemons roll cage package

I would strongly suggest you use one of the the following...almost all of the cages that get cut out and redone or require extensive rework at the track are one of three companies not on this list:

Roll Cage Componenets
Evil Genius (aka John Pagel, the head of safety for this organization)
A professional roll cage builder that will actually read and follow the "How Not to Fail Tech" (its mostly a picture book) and not make comments like "but this way is better" and "we have always done it this way".

Knowing what car you have and where you are will help a ton.  Keep in mind, most pre-bent cages from major retailers are designed for installation with a portion or all of the interior intact...this will rare pass tech without modifications.  One of my teammates installed one such cage for a new team and even after eeking out every bit of extra space he could during the install...they were told to start over (think they were allowed to race that weekend).

FYI, a 7" spread in height is not very significant unless someon has an unusually long or short torso.  Most of the time you can make the 6'2" person a tiny bit uncomfortable and use a seat insert for the 5'7" person allowing you to do a fixed seat.

Dont know anything about S&W except they do offer Lemons cages so presumably they know what's required to pass tech.  I'd search this forum for S&W as I know they've been discussed here before.  As to the seat without harness holes, it probably wont pass if you have to modify it.  For your size differences the usual fix is to mount the sliding seat brackets on an incline so that the seat moves up as it goes forward.  You'll also probably need an adjustable seat back brace.  At the top of this page is a "Contact" link where you can ask for official answers to your tech questions.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Where are you located?

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

CobraGuy24 wrote:

Also if I go with a different style seat, can it recline?

Are you asking whether the back of the seat is allowed to pivot independently of the seat bottom, as is the case for a typical two-piece seat? If so, the answer is no:

3.F.1.a General Driver’s Seat Regs... One-piece, purpose-built racing seats... are mandatory.

CobraGuy24 wrote:

Lastly, back to our height differences,  can we use a booster cushion for our smaller drivers?

Yes. Many teams do this.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

FWIW - I've used S&W for a pre-bent roll cage on three builds. They've been great cages, but come with a few caveats:

1. Even if there's a kit already available for your particular car, do your own custom measurements. S&W has a worksheet with all the necessary measurements required. Simply fill out the blanks and send it off to S&W. Make sure you double or triple check your measurements though. If you fuck up a number, that's all on you!

2. You will likely bend your own door bars. The S&W kit comes with straight door bars. If you call and ask them nicely, they will add an extra foot or two to the raw door bars so you can bend your own custom design. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with straight door bars. This might work for larger cars, but is going to suck for access in smaller cars.

The Pentastar whisperer

7 (edited by Spank 2020-02-26 09:57 AM)

https://swracecars.com/product/lemons-r … combo-kit/

I say that seat would be perhaps TECHNICALLY legal if you used a seatback brace (not in the kit), but I would not choose a unreinforced, silple bend aluminum seat like that for myself. I like kirkey aluminum road race style seats, but the one pictured appears to lack the reinforcement or engineered bends and dimples.

https://swracecars.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ComboKit19forweb.jpg

edit: that looks like a "drag" style seat, fwiw and the single belt hole style has proven to be problematic at tech inspection. I've personally seen Jay grab the top of one and bend it back  with his hand and then tell the team to GTFO and not come back until they have a seat he can't bend with his hands.

https://swracecars.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/95385.jpg

We used S&W for the cage we're building right now. They cut and bent everything exactly to our measurements. So like Bayley said make sure you measure everything perfect, if its wrong it's on you! We spent like 7 hours measuring and remeasuring our car to make sure everything was right. We also gave them some dimensions a little long so we could trim it to fit.

They will add a bend in your door bar if you prefer. We went with the X bar that the kit comes with and I just had them put a bend in the middle of it. I don't remember the angle, but I did some rough math and came up with it. I had the door bars made pretty long so account for this.

One kind of odd part is that they don't normally stock 1.75" 0.095" wall DOM so you have to wait some extra time for them to order it. It was only an extra week or so for us. But then again, you could always just use the 1.75" 0.120" wall that they keep in stock.

I would definitely use them again.

CLUB 991 - Honda Prelude
Gingerman Oct. 2018 - We Got Screwed
CMP April 2019 - Most Heroic Fix
Gingerman Oct. 2019 - Class B Winner

S&W is about 7 miles from where I am right now, and they have an engineering department.

There's also  a cage builder a mile from me now.

Although the builder has his own tubing bender and does make his own cages, he also gets some projects into his shop which include pre-bent tubing from S&W.

He seems satisfied with the bends by S&W for the projects he's received.

Welcome to the madness Jesse.

I can't comment on the roll cage (we made our own)  but as far as the seat.

I used a Kirkey Road race seat in our latest build and everyone on the team loves it.  Just the right mix of support and feel without being harsh.  Good value too.

My drivers range from 6'3"  to 5'0" and  there are some major mass differences.   So we HAVE to put the seat on sliders,  if you end up doing the same thing, don't skimp, get something beefy like Sparco sliders or the like.  We use an adjustable seat back brace from IO port,I like the extra support/safety of having it.  Even with the slider we still use a support pad for our smallest driver, many teams do.

If you do decide to mount the seat solid, take your time when it comes to mounting the car.  Me and one of my other drivers are both 6'2",  but I'm ALL leg.  So even though we were the same height we could not have used the same seat position, his head would have been above the roll cage!

The seat can't recline per the rules.  But you CAN lay the seat back at an angle if that works out better for you and the team.  Again use your head sure the mounting is beefy.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Appreciate all the information. Thank you all for the input