Topic: Anyone not a design major expecting much from the paintjobs?

Seriously, Forza had this sorted out in 2008, why is it still developer level PhotoShop flat skinning?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Re: Anyone not a design major expecting much from the paintjobs?

I, too, was surprised at how complicated it was.

I think I got it figured out from the Youtube tutorials.  But I was surprised that I needed a 3rd party program (tradingpaints) to make it so others could see the skin.

3 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-04-13 08:46 PM)

Yea a lot of Online PC Sim stuff is still in the Dark Ages for Textures and online. (don't even start me on DCS World....)

I rage quit on flat texturing back in the Mid 90's on the Papyrus NASCAR and INDY CAR games.

More of the world needs to be like Forza.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

I suspect it's because Forza is a video game and iRacing is trying to focus on being a simulator. They'd rather put their time into making the driving accurate rather than giving you a forza style paint booth. There is also the added bonus that if they don't give you the option to be unprofessional with your paint, the official races don't look like a joke when they're trying to argue that sim racing is a serious endeavor. trading paints gives you the option to dive down that path if you want to, while iRacing gets to retain their more professional look officially.

Painting the cars isn't hard, you just need to understand a few basics with layers. If you can paint a car with tape and rattle cans, you can paint a car for iracing.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

iRacing needs to lighten the hell up.
If any part of a game isn’t fun, I have no time for it. And it is a game. After over ten years of $30 a month subscriptions they can easily do better.

But just like “real racing” their client base are dishwater dull tryhards so no need to bother. They’ll just pay some kid in a computer arts/game dev degree program to make their livery for them, just like they do in real life.

Guildenstern wrote:

iRacing needs to lighten the hell up.
If any part of a game isn’t fun, I have no time for it. And it is a game. After over ten years of $30 a month subscriptions they can easily do better.

But just like “real racing” their client base are dishwater dull tryhards so no need to bother. They’ll just pay some kid in a computer arts/game dev degree program to make their livery for them, just like they do in real life.

lol

It's funny, because I do pay someone to make my iRacing liveries smile

To be fair though, monthly subs are a lot less than $30!

Also, there are about a bazillion free paints available for you on TradingPaints.com

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Oh yea it’s $30 for 3 months. So $12 a month times what? 20,000? Over a decade?

They can do a lot better than a user third party service.

Just remember, don’t do like Kyle Larson do. Or Bubba Wallace!

If you play it right, annual subscription costs can be around $40/yr.

And? Are you implying that iRacing is making a loss at that price? Because I can rephrase it if you like.

For a game based on and developed by the former Papyrus team, that has been taking monthly subscriptions for over ten years, plus one time track and car unlock costs, plus a massive eSports footprint, they can do better than the “NASCAR Racing  2003 Season” livery system.

In this thread, crapping on other people's hobbies.

Lighten up man, if sim racing, or just iRacing, isn't your thing then don't do it, no one is forcing you to. Let those that want to dive in enjoy it. Plenty of people look at Lemons and think it's incredibly stupid to burn thousands of dollars a year to "play at being a race car driver".

We get it, the steps to paint a car are antiquated. who cares?

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

11 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-04-14 05:59 PM)

Isn't my thing? I've been in sims both flying and racing since 1991, The fact that most of the industry has stagnated yet still remains profitable is my complaint.

I care because I wanted to play pretend race car, but after ignoring it for 5 years, I come and find iRacing in the same fat stagnant state as it was when I last looked at it. And this is all over Sims, DCS, Prepair3D, X-plane.

Anything with an ounce of good user interface and modern design philosophy is demeaned as a game, while the "real simulators" all fall deeper behind the curve and cry about what a niche they've become in the market.

If you don't care, by all means enjoy one of the many other threads on this forum, or elsewhere on the internet.

12 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-04-14 06:02 PM)

I was hoping for a racing simulator, not yet another Software Developer Simulator.

Especially if painting the car fun is half the point of this racing league.

I think you just like complaining. Lemons is clearly trying to do something to keep the community alive and fun. is iRacing perfect? No, not by any means. But it's fun as hell to be able to race my friends again and be able to talk to them at the same time. Who cares that the painting process is annoying, people are still making the best of it. I have zero graphical design skills and was still able to replicate an old race car in about an hour tops. It was fun figuring it out.

Why complain and whine so much about something that's being done to provide some fun relief from the current situation?

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Why complain? Because it sucks. And compiling is all he/we can do. Maybe if enough ppl complain something will change. You dont get change be accepting the status quo.  And if you are not interested in his complaints you likewise dont have to read them.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

15 (edited by Fishah 2020-04-14 10:45 PM)

The painting situation on iRacing is fine.

The Forza tools provide a fraction of the flexibility that you get with the third party tools that iRacing relys on.

Furthermore, iRacing does have basic livery tool built in, or you can use one of a billion paints already posted online.

Frankly, iRacing should be spending their resources on creating a racing simulator. Not a paint program that you find easy.

Also, I think you vastly overestimate their profitability.