1 (edited by bigamonsta 2020-06-16 08:52 PM)

Topic: cage questions- yes I read the stickies :)

I have a miata that ran in 2018 and passed tech. I wanted to know if I could remove one bar on the cage (the diagonal with red Xs) and move the two side bars (blue lines) out to the side of the hoop (red lines). I'm just under 6'1" and am one of those tall guys/little car combos and want to make sure I don't fail tech because of the 2" rule. I was going to see if the welder could repurpose the diagonal bar as another bent top bar like the one on the driver's side. The tubing is the 1.75" x .120 heavier tubing. The seat is in a welded in drop pan so I should have the clearance for my big ol' head (like Sputnik!) regardless, but just wanted to make sure it would still pass tech. The second seat will be removed prior to the race of course- I want to get some in car driving advice before then if I can!.
thanks.

pictures:
https://imgur.com/UI0P5yo
https://imgur.com/RuJksVF

PS -Judge Phil- I am covering it with cork for the Toyo Kogyo tribute you wished for.

El Capitan of Team Corky
94 Miata transitioning to BRG because she now identifies as a Lotus previously covered in cork as Mazda/Toyo Kogyo tribute then painted like the Queen's coffin
4 time tire raffle winner. (So I got that goin for me which is nice)

Re: cage questions- yes I read the stickies :)

I don't see the rules requiring the diagonal with the red "x"s you mentioned. (Was it added for any other series' requirement?)

Diagrams here:
How To Not Fail Lemons Tech Inspection

As with all pass/fail tech questions,your best bet is to get the only answer that matters ......
That would be The Evil One
AKA John Pagel AKA the head of tech and safety.......pagel@24hoursoflemons.com

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

This ^

The diagonal bar is fair game to remove.

Your cage looks like it has forward bars and not a "front hoop". So you have one continuous tube that goes from the main hoop down to the a pillar floor.
Appears to me that the forward bar would be too short when cut so it will require a new forward bar on each side, if you want it to remain symmetrical.

6 (edited by -SDR- 2020-06-17 04:32 AM)

Removing that diagonal bar is not the issue, its HOW you remove it.  Do not attempt to make it look like it was never there, as you don't want to take a chance on taking any metal off the bars it attaches to.  IF it were me, I would remove the bar and trim the bar down leaving the welds from it in place being very careful not to hit the surrounding bars, take photos to show no damage to the cage, then taco shell over those corners.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

7 (edited by Spank 2020-06-18 12:07 PM)

"Alex, I'll take Pagel responses for $500"

"Cut it out and start over. I've got miata kits ready to weld in for less work than what you are wanting to do. To do that right, it's going to take a really really good fabricator to not F-it up. Just cut it out and start over with one of my kits. You'll be miles ahead. Dude, this is your LIFE we're talking about. Don't F- around."

"What is Pagel's response to any question about miata cage f-kery?"

(please note I'm playing hypothetical here with Pagel's voice in my head. I have no idea if that's what he'd actually say. I won't bet my first born on it...)

The whole front of the cage will need to be remade if you want to move the a pillar bars.  Doors bars and all would need to be cut out.  As a cage builder Id rather remake the whole thing right after seeing you sit in it with a helmet.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

I emailed The Honorable Mr Pagel directly and he’s going to call me. Thanks for the responses!

El Capitan of Team Corky
94 Miata transitioning to BRG because she now identifies as a Lotus previously covered in cork as Mazda/Toyo Kogyo tribute then painted like the Queen's coffin

After talking with John I’m not gonna mess with the cage. He saw pics of me in it and thinks its an ugly cage build below his standards but will likely pass tech. Thanks for the advice everyone. My advice from all this would be- if you’re a 6 footer, wedging into a miata is probably a bad idea. This car has a dropped floor pan and the seat is bolted directly onto that. This roll cage was made to still fit under a hard top- John says his miata cages are about 4” taller bc no one runs hard tops. I got lucky with the combo but it would be a lot of fab to do it starting off

El Capitan of Team Corky

https://media0.giphy.com/media/5WjvKxNfgcprHtuJ9v/giphy.gif

Right! Now for the Daily Double!

What is the highest number of penalty laps ever assigned to a team?

El Capitan of Team Corky

bigamonsta wrote:

Right! Now for the Daily Double!

What is the highest number of penalty laps ever assigned to a team?

I'll start the discussion.....
There was a Holden (I believe) and they asked for and recieved a billion.....
I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.....Which happens a lot....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

More reading!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1873 … alty-laps/