Topic: What to bring to the race (besides the car)...what do people forget?

I'll be running in my first Lemons race (first race of any kind) later this year.

Besides the car, fuel jugs, cooler full of water, tools, a few spare parts, easy up, chairs, jacks and such, what should I bring? What are critical items that people find they need once they arrive?

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Re: What to bring to the race (besides the car)...what do people forget?

Limonaid wrote:

I'll be running in my first Lemons race (first race of any kind) later this year.

Besides the car, fuel jugs, cooler full of water, tools, a few spare parts, easy up, chairs, jacks and such, what should I bring? What are critical items that people find they need once they arrive?

Not sure what you consider spare parts but stuff like oil, oil filter, transmission fluid, brake fluid, electrical repair kit (wire, fittings, fuses, solder, soldering iron, etc), spare tire(s) plus a way to inflate one if needed.

Food, cooking supplies unless you plan to buy food at the track.

Paper towels/rags, hand cleaner, brake clean, etc

That's off the top of my head

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

3 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-03-17 03:29 PM)

Stickied in Lemons Newcomers and everything.

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … hp?id=7415

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

TP

My second race I forgot the waffel iron. Was needed for breakfast Saturday morning, So at 4AM, still reallling from Friday night I went 60 miles round trip, so The team could eat.

Remember plan everything, and check it twice.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Your NON-EXPIRED driver's license.  Yes, it's happened before, and will probably happen again.  Lemons HQ will NOT make an exception, so be sure yours is current and on your person.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Your NON-EXPIRED driver's license.  Yes, it's happened before, and will probably happen again.  Lemons HQ will NOT make an exception, so be sure yours is current and on your person.

That DEFINITELY sounds like something I would do.  I believe we can auto-renew them online in NC.  I wonder if the organizers would take a picture.  Assuming, of course, one day down the road I forget mine...

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably

mthew_m wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

That DEFINITELY sounds like something I would do.  I believe we can auto-renew them online in NC.  I wonder if the organizers would take a picture.  Assuming, of course, one day down the road I forget mine...

No.

Now what I do beause I have drivers that would forget as well.

Two weeks prior to the race they are required to take their license out of their wallet, purse, phone case, etc, and read out loud in a crowded room the expiration date.

if you have a teammate drive a spare car to the track, that covers most of it.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Fire extinguisher, not the one in the car, and metal drip pan for fueling.  Kitty litter for when you dump fuel and oil on the track/pit.

Oil, bring lots of oil.

A spare set of brake pads and rotors.  Unless you have real racing pads, you might find that you went through your brakes in the first day.

A good attitude, when your crap breaks, people will help you more if you are nice to be around.  Beer helps. smile

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

Fire extinguisher, not the one in the car, and metal drip pan for fueling.  Kitty litter for when you dump fuel and oil on the track/pit.

Oil, bring lots of oil.

A spare set of brake pads and rotors.  Unless you have real racing pads, you might find that you went through your brakes in the first day.

A good attitude, when your crap breaks, people will help you more if you are nice to be around.  Beer helps. smile

Yup!

I'd add to this - bring spare brake lines.
These can be difficult to find for your ride,
and will definitely sideline you.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

12 (edited by OnkelUdo 2020-03-20 03:27 PM)

Most import...a healthy sense of humor and total lack of personal dignity.

But seriously, not covered because this was about stuff and not people.  Stuff is easy.  You can borrow or buy stuff you forget.  People are hard.

If you have not attended a race and if your teammates have not, try to.  If not possible understand all of the following:

When things break, they will not be what you planned for.
The same thing you fixed before coming to race preemptively, may be what breaks.
When things break, you will find plenty of help fixing it if you ask (we send folks in both directions of paddock if one of our main teams does not have something) BUT people will also mock you in a very good hearted way
If you do something supremely stupid, most teams have no problem telling you so...but they may be wearing pig slippers and Superman underoos on the outside at the time
Everyone takes track safety seriously...but almost nothing else...embrace this attitude and you will enjoy yourself more.

And this goes for all your teammates, hangers-on, feral children and domesticate wolves.

OnkelUdo wrote:

But seriously, not covered because this was about stuff and not people.  Stuff is easy.  You can borrow or buy stuff you forget.  People are hard.

If you have not attended a race and if your teammates have not, try to.  If not possible understand all of the following:

The same thing you fixed before coming to race preemptively, may be what breaks.
When things break, you will find plenty of help fixing it if you ask (we send folks in both directions of paddock if one of our main teams does not have something) BUT people will also mock you in a very good hearted way
If you do something supremely stupid, most teams have no problem telling you so...but they may be wearing pig slippers and Superman underoos on the outside at the time
Everyone takes track safety seriously...but almost nothing else...embrace this attitude and you will enjoy yourself more.

And this goes for all your teammates, hangers-on, feral children and domesticate wolves.

All of the above advice, and especially what OnkelUdo said.

Be friendly and helpful to other teams, and the good karma will pay off when you need it.

Bring your basics, but don't be afraid to ask around for the crap you didn't bring: tools, parts, or just about anything else. Teams will normally loan any needed tool or part, unless their car is in imminent need, like on its way back to the paddock on the tow truck. We've loaned out an engine hoist at Barber and Atlanta and not seen it again until midafternoon Sunday after it passed through two or three teams over the weekend. We've loaned/given spare wheel lug bolts, fuel line, odd sized hose clamps, power steering fluid, oil, gas, and special tools. Offered our spare clutch once on a "mail me a check next week" basis, but the other Beetle team decided that the odds of getting it in before the race ended was way too low. We offered to help them change it out since we've done a couple of Beetle clutches, but they decided to start drinking beer and load up early instead. We've borrowed an equivalent list of stuff from other teams. Send tool/part searchers in two or three directions, and hit all the teams running similar vehicles for special tools like triple-box wrenches for VW/Audi/Porsche. Everything loaned out has shown back up so far, even when it was loaned to some random guy in a red t-shirt who ran up asking if we had whatever it was they desperately needed and we forgot what team he said it was right after he left. We've gotten great advice from other teams, too; and been able to offer suggestions a time or two as well.

Oh, and for a brand new team - find a friendly but experienced team to paddock next to for your first race or two; and watch, listen, and learn.

Stan in Bham wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

All of the above advice, and especially what OnkelUdo said.

Be friendly and helpful to other teams, and the good karma will pay off when you need it.

Bring your basics, but don't be afraid to ask around for the crap you didn't bring: tools, parts, or just about anything else. Teams will normally loan any needed tool or part, unless their car is in imminent need, like on its way back to the paddock on the tow truck. We've loaned out an engine hoist at Barber and Atlanta and not seen it again until midafternoon Sunday after it passed through two or three teams over the weekend. We've loaned/given spare wheel lug bolts, fuel line, odd sized hose clamps, power steering fluid, oil, gas, and special tools. Offered our spare clutch once on a "mail me a check next week" basis, but the other Beetle team decided that the odds of getting it in before the race ended was way too low. We offered to help them change it out since we've done a couple of Beetle clutches, but they decided to start drinking beer and load up early instead. We've borrowed an equivalent list of stuff from other teams. Send tool/part searchers in two or three directions, and hit all the teams running similar vehicles for special tools like triple-box wrenches for VW/Audi/Porsche. Everything loaned out has shown back up so far, even when it was loaned to some random guy in a red t-shirt who ran up asking if we had whatever it was they desperately needed and we forgot what team he said it was right after he left. We've gotten great advice from other teams, too; and been able to offer suggestions a time or two as well.

Oh, and for a brand new team - find a friendly but experienced team to paddock next to for your first race or two; and watch, listen, and learn.

To take it a step further.  We have even sent one of our team members to fetch a different "team's" spare engine (4 hour round trip plus loading) when he blew up on Friday test and tune.  Granted, the team captain was formerly a member of our team but we would have done it for number of teams. 

We offered literally a complete drivetrain on the craddle with ECM and help swapping it when a team blew up their almost identical (they were supercharged and ours was NA) engine again on Friday test and tune.

I made a list from what others had posted in the past plus my own experience.   I also have the spreadsheet color coded with notes as to where each item is to be packed (e.g. Bin # 1, Bin #2, Toolbox, Into Race Car etc) but not sure how to attach or share the spreadsheet via the forum.

1/4” sockets
1/4” ratchet
1/4” extensions
hex to 1/4” adapter
3/8” standard sockets
3/8” metric sockets
3/8” deep sockets
3/8” ratchet
3/8” extensions
3/8” to 1/2” adapter
5/8” spark plug socket
13/16” spark plug socket
1/2” breaker bar
1/2” ratchet
1/2” to 3/8” adapter
1/2” metric sockets
1/2” deep sockets
1/2” extensions
Cheap torque wrench
Metric wrenches
Standard wrenches
Brake wrenches
Small punches
Adjustable wrench
Prybar
Phillips screwdriver
Stubby Philips screwdriver
Big Philips screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
Stubby flathead screwdriver
Big flathead screwdriver
Pocket screwdriver
Screw extractors
Magnet stick
Straight pick
90 degree pick
Bent pick
Hook pick
Chisel (2)
Files (2)
Gasket scraper/razor blades
Mirror
Pocket flashlight
Markers
Pencil
Pliers
Diagonal cutters
Needle-nose pliers
Long angled needle-nose pliers
Long straight needle-nose pliers
Hose pliers
Safety wire pliers
Snap-ring pliers
Vise grips
Straight tin snips
Electrical pliers
Hex bits
Metric hex keys
Standard hex keys
Punches
Hacksaw
Spare hacksaw blades
Hammer
Drill bits
Bailing wire
Emory clothe
Wire strippers/crimpers
Sheetmetal screws
Old & New brake pads
spare brake parts
Hoses
Belts
Spare fuses
Spare brake bulbs
Parts from trunk/radiator
2 floor jacks
Generator
4 ft Fluorescent Light set in box
Small Compressor
Air hose, air chucks (tire & blower)
4-plug extension cord
Extra extension cords
4x safety glasses
4x gloves
1/2” impact
Air chuck
Battery charger
Halogen light for pit area w/stand
Jumper cables
DeWalt cordless drill
DeWalt cordless Sawzall
DeWalt cordless batteries (4 extra)
DeWalt cordless battery charger
DeWalt cordless grinder
DeWalt cordless 1/2" impact gun
Mini sledgehammer
Big ball-peen hammer
Dead-blow hammer
Fire extinguisher for pit spot
Cool Shirt Cooler
3 Hunsaker Jugs
4 Red fuel jugs
Two drain pans (1 oil, 1 for gas)
Big black fan (HD Quality)
Lock trailer ramps in place
5 Gallon water jug
8 Chairs
1 Metal folding chair
4 jack stands
Rags
Car manuals
Baby wipes
Roll of trash bags
First aid kit
3 rolls paper shop towels
1 bag kitty litter (floor sweep)
Permanent markers
Spiral notebook
1 case trans fluid (red line)
12 Qrts 20W50 Castrol GTX
2 Qts High Temp Brake Fluid
PB Blaster
2 cans brake cleaner
Silicone spray
Glass cleaner
JB Weld
Clear tape
Masking tape
Electrical tape
Teflon tape
2 rolls non-silver duct tape
Orange hand soap
Nut and bolt assortments
O-ring kit
Cotter pin kit
Gasket material
XPO Shirts or Drink Tumblers
XPO Frisbees or Sunglasses
1 Extra set tires
1 Old set tires
Pop-up canopy
2 folding tables
2  new saw horses and piece of plywood
All radios
All helmet headset gear and spares
2 sets of spare radio batteries
GoPro camera & mounts, cards, batteries)
Camcorder and DSLR Camera
Tech sheet / tech binder
Helmet
Fireproof Suit
Racing Gloves
Racing Shoes
Racing Socks
Cool Shirt (if applicable)
Hans Device
Cookout food (burger/dogs/buns)
Sandwiches (or sandwich materials)
Condiments
Small gas grill
Tongs/Spatula
Matches
Chips etc.
6 cases water
2 cases Gatorade
2 Coolers
6 bags ice
Sunblock
Insect repellent
Work bag/computer
$200 Cash
Extra Visa card for transponder
Advil, Aspirin, Tylenol

Multiple Entries - Best Finish CMP Fall 2017 - 9th Overall - 1993 BMW 325
Lemons cars: 1983 VW Rabbit, 1993 BMW 325, 1988 BMW 325e

JimHugger wrote:

I made a list from what others had posted in the past plus my own experience.   I also have the spreadsheet color coded with notes as to where each item is to be packed (e.g. Bin # 1, Bin #2, Toolbox, Into Race Car etc) but not sure how to attach or share the spreadsheet via the forum.

I saw neither beer or bacon on the list so not sure I can trust you.

I have this race finally put friggin labels on everything and I am making a trailer loading map.  The former is required as I can literally tell my team "Second drawer, big red tool cart, bring me the rail of specialty sockets"  and they will come back with "They are not there".  They are there, they just forgot to count starting with the top drawer.  The latter is because I am the only one allowed to load my trailer because other people cannot seem to Tetris crap in so you only need two straps for all the gear...maybe a third for the engine hoist...but it means I never can take the Checker at a race and I kinda want to some day.

Great point, also forgot to put the race car on the list.  I like the labeling idea but I"m going with Bin #s or locations (e.g. pack in race car) along with the master list of where everything can be found or should be packed for now.

Multiple Entries - Best Finish CMP Fall 2017 - 9th Overall - 1993 BMW 325
Lemons cars: 1983 VW Rabbit, 1993 BMW 325, 1988 BMW 325e

18 (edited by Spank 2020-06-02 09:29 PM)

Sometimes I see too many drivers of cars on track leave home their Patience.

Others leave home their sense of humor.

Both are extremely important at a Lemons race and you don't want to be caught without them.

Great list JimHugger, but I would add at least one extra 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm socket.  I don't think I have ever completed a race weekend without one of those disappearing.

Coffee, a cheap French press and maybe an electric kettle unless you have another way to heat water.  We're spoiled at NJMP with rooms on track that have microwaves, but they make up for it with their coffee.  I still have no idea how you can screw up a k-cup coffee, but man they figured it out.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

If the car needs an ignition key, the key.

frankwissman wrote:

Yep! I made two spare keys just to be sure...

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Drip tray for fueling

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

frankwissman wrote:

Why do I get the feeling you are speaking from experience?

It’s a good idea to fill your radiator with distilled water when preparing to leave for the race. (assuming no chance of freezing en route, but that’s it’s own concern).

It’s not a good idea to leave the coolant tank cap on top of your tool box in Phoenix then arrive at Sonoma wondering where it is.

That MB dealership parts counter in Marin County isn’t cheap smile

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)