Topic: What equipment to buy starting out in sim racing?

Whelp, you know the situation is bad when you're asking the Lemons community about something tech and computer related.

I've been wanting to get into sim racing for a little while now and with the pandemic going on staying inside is the heroic thing to do so why not get started racing? The issue is every buyer's guide is flat out wrong with their prices. It seems all the racing wheels that were recommended at the beginning of 2020 are $100+ more than they used to be. The Logitech G29 and G920 are trending around $400+ rather than the $300 the guides assume. On top of that almost all the sim racing wheels are sold out or not able to be shipped for a month so I'm getting a bit frustrated.

All I want is a decent, entry level wheel and pedal setup that cost less than a Lemons car. I would like a clutch pedal and a gear shifter but based on what I'm seeing that just isn't going to happen under my budget.

Any suggestions or insight on how to get racing?

2000 Hyundai Accent @ 279,982 miles
2014 Ford Focus Titanium
Currently residing in Denver, Colorado

Re: What equipment to buy starting out in sim racing?

Howzabout starting off with whatever you have lying around the house to run Lemons iRacing, with the No Pedal/No Wheel invite races as a start?

Like Class C racing, you only can only head up from there (or learn to love it and wallow in its awesomeness.)

Have any good controller ideas that haven't hit iRacing yet?

Well I play on PC and have an xbox 360 controller I use for a couple of games so nothing original there. Really I'm looking for an opportunity to get a closer experience to actual seat time, not necessarily joining the iRacing league. I've put down some laps in Asseto Coursa with the controller and with my keyboard and I find it difficult to drive well without more nuanced controls.

2000 Hyundai Accent @ 279,982 miles
2014 Ford Focus Titanium
Currently residing in Denver, Colorado

You’re just stuck in a tough market.  I would just bite the bullet and pay the premium on an acceptable force feedback wheel and load cell equipped pedal set.  Get something gently used.  Get on the iRacing Forum for more reliable sellers, or fight through one of Facebook’s sim racing flea markets to find something.    Fanatec has been my go to wheel bases and decent pedals prior to getting my Mige direct drive OSW wheel base setup a few years ago.

DM me if you have more questions.   

Spending $500 on a decent setup will provide lots of fun for the money and will pay dividends in meatspace driving

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

I just searched Denver Craigslist.
You have options <$500
Almost every entry-level how-to says buy used.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Not to revive a dead thread, but in addition to the wheel+pedal setup, what kind of monitor configurations do you use?
I've been hearing folks using a single monitor run into things more often. So dual head? triple? projected onto the side of your neighbor's garage?

A lot depends upon how close your eyeballs are to the monitor.
I've used both single and triple monitors. I have the same problems driving with both. Triples take up way more space, and the set up angle should be adjustable. It seems like triples that wrap around the driver more is best with an open wheel car, where wider triples work fine with GT cars. YMMV.
A higher refresh rate is a good thing, too.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I’d say get a Logitech G920!