1 (edited by Bricoop 2021-01-27 03:54 PM)

Topic: Gas Can Filler Tube Material

We currently run Hunskaer gas cans.  On the end of the filler tube is an adaptor and 1/2" piece of pipe.  The adaptor has a PVCI marking, nothing on the grey tube, it does appear to be PVC.

Our fuel stops were painfully slow.  We want to increase the size of the pipe on the end of the filler hose.  What material should we use?  Will PVC be ok for this?

Re: Gas Can Filler Tube Material

Doesn't that thing only hold about 5 gallons anyway?  I wouldn't bother trying to make your fuel stops faster until we can catch up. smile

Our fuel jugs use PVC fittings and vinyl tube from Lowe's Racing.  They seem to have a better variety than Home Depot Racing.  One problem is if you use PVC valves to seal the jugs for transport the fuel seems to gum up the works and the valves tend to stick in position.  Also note that you can go to a 12" filler but your main limitation is the vent limiting how much air comes out of the tank.  Fuel displaces air and fuel will only go in as fast as the air is displaced.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Thanks for the reply. Cool, we’ll KISS.

The filler hose has a 2” ID. I believe the vent is inside the filler tube. Need to see if that’s possibly clogged or crimped.

We use modified VP fuel jugs with 1" vinyl filler hose from Amazon or Lowe's, and 1/2" vent tube for the jug. No issues with the PVC caps during storage at the racetrack, but we use regular VP caps with no hose to seal the jugs when hauling fuel to the track.

As Cheeseroo states, we found that 1 1/2" tubes we initially tried flowed tremendously well, but our tank couldn't vent fast enough so we'd have to pause a couple of times to let the tank filler line burp.  The 1" ID tubes will empty about 5 1/4 gallons as fast overall (in 21-22 seconds), and that works well for us; usually avoiding fuel tank vent issues. We usually put in a jug and a half, so can be headed back out in about 2 minutes.

Good info. We were minutes per jug.

I forget the exact formula, but flow rate goes up rapidly with a diameter increase.  A 1" ID hose flows about 3 to 4 times as fast as a 1/2" ID hose.  With Hunsaker jugs you shouldn't need to worry about jug vents.  You may be able to find larger diameter fillers premade for the Hunsakers, or end tubes that don't "reduce" quite as much.

If you can't find them, the link below takes you to a fitting similar to the PVC through-hull fittings we installed in three of our caps after boring out the cap with a holesaw.  1" vinyl tubing can be found at Lowe's, Home Depot, or on Amazon or eBay.  Be sure to use a fuel resistant sealant.

https://www.amazon.com/Dovewill-Through … amp;sr=8-2

I have 6" length 3/4" ID grey PVC at the end of my Hunsakers.  I'm pretty sure I can dump them in less than 30 seconds.  They wont fit in stock fill locations, so you will have to use a hole saw to open the mouth a bit.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

I have 6" length 3/4" ID grey PVC at the end of my Hunsakers.  I'm pretty sure I can dump them in less than 30 seconds.  They wont fit in stock fill locations, so you will have to use a hole saw to open the mouth a bit.

Absolutely. I forgot to mention taking the hole saw to the fuel filler neck restriction.  I did our first the hard way with a hacksaw blade in a pair of Visegrips, but got smarter the second time around.  1 1/2" works well for the 1" ID hose.

I appreciate everyone's input.  Here's the stock filler.  The fuel travels through the smaller fill tube (inside the larger tube).  The larger tube is the air vent.  I do think venting is the major issue.  Those 2 tiny holes are the only vent holes. I've got a few ideas in mind.  I do wonder if i can use the large tube as the gas fill and the small tube as the vent? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254797488118?_ … -8QAvD_BwE

Yes, you can use the bigger hose as the filler hose. Our car had a plastic insert in the filler neck that had small vents like the ones in filler you are looking at, and we bored it out with the hacksaw blade/hole saw. We did not have the smaller inner hose equivalent. If you eliminate that hose, you'll be fine as long as your in-flow doesn't completely fill the bigger tube and does allow air to escape the tank as the gas goes in. That is why we ended up with the 1" ID hose, the 1 1/2" just flowed too much to allow the air to escape back out of the car's tank due to car's filler tube diameter, length, and routing.