Topic: Brake calipers - replace, rebuild, or race’m?

At hpr last sept our brakes got pretty hot. Warped the rotors pretty bad so replacing those.

What about the calipers? Would you replace, rebuild, or see how they do at a track day and just race them?

We ran 300 laps with a break for sleep in the middle.

My setup - 3100lb 2000 mustang v6, powerstop calipers, 13 inch cobra brakes up front with no cooling, 10.5 inch gt brakes in back,  carbotech rp2 pads. Calipers, rotors, pads all new pre race.

Definitely adding cooling ducts before the next race!

Re: Brake calipers - replace, rebuild, or race’m?

If they are common at parts stores, then just race them. That way, when they go bad, you can just run and get some.

If not common, buy new and keep your old ones as spares.

PBR calipers?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Maybe try new pads?  A friend of mine had bad luck with that manufacturer and uneven pad material on the rotors, which feels like a warped rotor.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I'd probably just go grab a set just in case, take them with you or use them and your old ones as a spare set. You might want to figure out how to vent some of that heat.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

rb92673 wrote:

Maybe try new pads?  A friend of mine had bad luck with that manufacturer and uneven pad material on the rotors, which feels like a warped rotor.

<cough> Carbotech

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

7 (edited by egesledder 2021-03-24 11:16 AM)

We ran that same brake setup for a while on the miata/cadillac.  Using good rotors is key, the Centric High Carbon rotors from Rock Auto work awesome, we actually still run those same rotors with the new caliper setup.  Pad wise, Raybestos ST-43 and don't look back.  We get multiple races out of a set of pads where we used to barely get through a race with others.  Had some EBC Orangestuff pads completely disappear before the end of the race once.

If the caliper pistons still move in and out freely and don't leak, I wouldn't bother replacing or rebuilding anything.

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

Thank you all for the advice! I did not know uneven pad deposits on the rotor was a thing so that was nice to learn.

I need to go read the sticky on posting images - the rotors have pretty noticeable groove warn in them where the pads contact. Tons of pad left. Betting cheap rotors is most likely culprit now

I use Postimages.org for posting pics here.

I suggest you set up an account - it's easier controlling the images than doing a 'guest' posting.

johnjamesmiller wrote:

Thank you all for the advice! I did not know uneven pad deposits on the rotor was a thing so that was nice to learn.

I need to go read the sticky on posting images - the rotors have pretty noticeable groove warn in them where the pads contact. Tons of pad left. Betting cheap rotors is most likely culprit now

Yup, many of us have struggled with uneven transfer layer from Carbotech pads.   The rotor wear you see is also related to the pads.  We also run ST43 and love them, they are very rotor friendly and we have had rotors last through several sets of pads with no wear until they finally cracked from the heat.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

New rotors before 300 laps

https://i.postimg.cc/WhDTrRkM/B2-AA981-D-54-AD-43-B8-BF96-2-C21-E9-BCD63-F.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4mrZQ86j/DC4798-E9-96-E5-439-C-8-EFB-8-DF97899873-A.jpg

johnjamesmiller wrote:

Cheap rotors are NOT I repeat are NOT the issue, toss the rp2 pads in a box marked biohazzard and tuck it away in the trailer for a terrible day where any pad will do better then no pad.

ADD COOLING, Check the calipers, bleed till clear, get new cheap rotors, and a different pad compound like XP24 (not all carbotech behave like RP2)

RP2 is evil when over-tempted

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

3 inch dryer ducting works well for an inexpensive cooling duct setup. We run ours from the fog light openings to the front rotors, around the suspension parts. The heavier aluminum ducting is pretty durable. The lighter spiral wire/mylar ducting is easier to squeeze through narrower openings and is very cheap so you can just rip it out and replace when you need to do suspension work or it gets mauled by track debris. Zip tie it in place.

I've never had much luck using dryer ducting.  Just no room once the wheel is at full lock.  Corvette C6s have perfectly shaped brake ducts that are round at the ends and flat in the middle to allow tire clearance at full lock.  They are plastic and cheap new and cheaper used.  I just installed a set for 35 bucks.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I do not have the right answer for your brake system. Brakes are budget exempt, entry fees and weekend run costs are increasing so spend what you need to eliminate/prevent brake issues. A typical race weekend costs about $3000, don't let brake issues turn your race weekend into a wrench weekend.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

cheseroo wrote:

I've never had much luck using dryer ducting.  Just no room once the wheel is at full lock.  Corvette C6s have perfectly shaped brake ducts that are round at the ends and flat in the middle to allow tire clearance at full lock.  They are plastic and cheap new and cheaper used.  I just installed a set for 35 bucks.

we have those for our Gen III firebird. We also have C6 brakes....Dryer ducting would be a little flimsy to me.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"